CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth I Milled Sixpence of 1562

YeOldeCollector

189392325_o.jpg

189392398_o.jpg

Although not hammered it doesn't fit into the Early Milled category...

Elizabeth I Milled Sixpence, superb condition, I'd say aVF if not VF. These are much scarcer than their hammered counterparts, the milling process was not effective and so Lizzie returned her coinage to hammered.

Dated 1562, tall, narrow bust with decorated dress. Large rose, m.m. star. Looks like an error too as it has a raised rim on the obverse, perhaps stuck in the press? I'll do some more research on that as first minting error I've seen on a milled on Lizzie.

Although not hammered it doesn't fit into the Early Milled category...

Why not?

Great coin. I'm still ecstatic that Daggit gave me a coin dated 1799... I can't imagine having such a superb coin dated 1562...

First up, a milled Elizabeth I Sixpence of 1561. Small bust with large rose and cross fourchee on the reverse, mint mark star. This is of Eloye Mestrelle's coinage, of superior quality to the hammered coins but much slower to produce so it was discontinued and England returned to hammered coins. Mestrelle was hung in 1578 for counterfeiting... Perhaps Elizabeth really was not happy with him!

I posted the above in My New P thread a while back, a Frenchman introduced Milled coinage but Lizzie was not pleased and so reverted the coinage back to Milled. So this coin is just a snapshot of milled coins, milled collectors do not tend to collect them due to the fact that it's stuck in between Lizzie's hammered coinage.

I don't blame you for liking hammereds more, I do too. But I still cannot resist a scarce coin such as the coins of her milled issue. :ninja:

understandable...I had a quick question from your website...what do you mean by a voided longcross? I think I have an idea but wanted to ask. I am look to get a hammered coin but I must say I am very picky...I need a decent portrait.

Feel free to ask questions, don't worry, I don't bite...

Right, Voided Longcross. Take a look at the photo below;

1224937833_original_2.jpg

The 'voided' refers to the space, or void, in between the arms of the cross. So the cross is more like tramlines/train tracks than a single arm such as the coin below;

1225035080_original_2.jpg

Here's a simplified diagram, excuse my lack of artistic talent...

209051458_o.jpg

Left : Voided Longcross, void in between arms.

Right : Longcross, no space, just one arm.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. So you want a decent portrait? Any preference for monarch/age? Let me know your budget and I'll give you a few choices if you want, I can be reached at Clive@HistoricCoinage.com

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

about 4 years ago i found a coin in my garden and im pretty sure its a sixpence....i know its dated 1562 and its in very good condition

im not a coin expert but really like them and have collected a few so ill post a photo of this sixpence for you guys to see so that you can tell me a little more about it if thats ok :ninja:...im currently moving house so my camera isn't to hand but ill do it as soon as i can ;)

Archived