CoinPeople.com

bump to Russian topic on Fake Coins forum...

squirrel

never made a secret out of it... ;)

although, popular opinion is that I bought a fake this time out. I have a good feeling about this coin...

I hope you are right, although the "4" in the date looks oddly "pinched" to me and I am doubtful about authenticity. :ninja:

I was in there with a lowball bid..... just for giggles, but I bailed out when i got suspicious.

I really hope it works out, so keep us posted, BKB! (oh, and better photos!) :ninja:

I am no photographer, but I will do my best. The seller has a pretty good reputation. chances are he would not sell a fake coin knowingly. The "4" does look strange, and so does the "9" Front legs of the horse are also out of wack. I just wanted to take a closer look -- al in all, 30 day unconditional return privilege allowed it. And, thank you all for bidding so low ;) Otherwise, a closer look could cost me double.

Is it legal to discuss our bids beforehand? I know it would hurt the sellers, but these insane prices are driving me nuts. It is very rarely now that I can afford anything good for my collection. i.e. if someone is ready to bid $1000, and I only want to bid $900, I would gladly walk away because I would not win it anyway, and the price for a similar item the next time out would be lower. It looks like there were at least 2 other bidders from this forum, and there may have been others... I know that this is widely practiced by dealers at live auctions...

Is it legal to discuss our bids beforehand? I know it would hurt the sellers, but these insane prices are driving me nuts. It is very rarely now that I can afford anything good for my collection. i.e. if someone is ready to bid $1000, and I only want to bid $900, I would gladly walk away because I would not win it anyway, and the price for a similar item the next time out would be lower. It looks like there were at least 2 other bidders from this forum, and there may have been others... I know that this is widely practiced by dealers at live auctions...

I think it is legal, but would it do us any good? If the coin is interesting and/or very attractive, there will always be someone else out there who will bid higher. It is really very simple: you have to decide in advance how much any particular coin is worth to you, and bid accordingly.

So if six of us agree in advance only to bid up to a certain limit, there will be one more person who will win it for $5 - $10 more than the maximum agreed upon. To avoid the "bidding fever", of course, it is wise to place your bids only at the last minute (or seconds) of the auction, if possible (e.g., on eBay). Just IMXO... :ninja:

That wouldn’t work. A lot of people see these posts. Posting the link prior to the auction will just attract more bids to it, and inflate the price.

What we should do is put all are bids together, and bid that amount. When we win, we can share the coin! BKB will have it on the weekend, squirrel can have it on Mondays and Tuesdays, Grivna will have Wednesdays and Thursdays, while Bobh and I will have alternating Fridays:)

I think it is legal, but would it do us any good? If the coin is interesting and/or very attractive, there will always be someone else out there who will bid higher. It is really very simple: you have to decide in advance how much any particular coin is worth to you, and bid accordingly.

So if six of us agree in advance only to bid up to a certain limit, there will be one more person who will win it for $5 - $10 more than the maximum agreed upon. To avoid the "bidding fever", of course, it is wise to place your bids only at the last minute (or seconds) of the auction, if possible (e.g., on eBay). Just IMXO... :ninja:

What I meant was, that the person who chooses to bid higher than anyone else here places that high bid. Others sit back and enjoy the show without driving the price up. If there is someone else, so be it. Otherwise, inspite the high bid you get it for less. To address the issue of postings attracting attention -- it could all be done through personal messages. All in all, not too many good coins are sold on ebay nowdays. We all seem to be honest, and if you never saw the coin before, -- do not participate.

As promised. I see no problem and I think it is not a fake. Used microscope -- x20. There are two varieties: 1. large crown (same as in GM and everywhere else) & 2. small crown. You see it in Iljin who lists both coins at 3 rubles. But it is not photographed anywhere that I know. Possibly this is it... What do you good people think?

p1050633au7.jpg

p1050631eo3.jpg

p1050634vn7.jpg

p1050636ce0.jpg

p1050637kl7.jpg

There's some noise around and above the 4. Actually, looks like an imprint from the horse's and dragon's tails. Could you confirm if these are elements of a light die clash? It somewhat distorts the 4, that could have caused the initial confusion.

P.S. Will there, perhaps, be a change of the avatar? :ninja:

I think my original suspicions were based on the poor photograph in the listing.

BKB's photo is much better. The coin looks, in fact quite spectacular. congrats BKB!

but i still think the "4" looks a bit odd. I cant say why. Most likely normal variation and something, as alexbq says, is going on with the planchet under the 4.

I think my original suspicions were based on the poor photograph in the listing.

BKB's photo is much better. The coin looks, in fact quite spectacular. congrats BKB!

but i still think the "4" looks a bit odd. I cant say why. Most likely normal variation and something, as alexbq says, is going on with the planchet under the 4.

I do not know what those indentations are, but the "4" looks original, though strange, and not added later. Maybe cut into the die and not punched in... Could you please post images of your 1794 em polushkas for comparison?

As I said, I had a good feeling about it. :ninja:

Looks certainly odd. BKB, is it possible to give a closeup photo of the "94"? Thanks in advance.

My only concern is if it is re-engraved which can be a possibility but I REALLY hope I'm wrong. The amount of void around the number 4 is certainly a concern.

it looks like the result of a die clash. You could see the incuse dragon tail and horse tail above the "4" and the pit under "4" is probably the cartouche inside which the word polushka is written. No traces of reengraving that I can see. Here is the best I can do as to the closeup:

closeuppk3.jpg

Thanks BKB - that photo looks awesome. ;)

I don't have any more doubts that it's a genuine 1794 EM polushka. However, is there a known overdate for this particular coin? For one moment it looked like a 94/86 :ninja: I don't have any pictures of a 1786 polushka to compare with but I'm certain the 9 is overdate over a 8. Maybe you can throw my nonsense out of the window BKB?

Thanks BKB - that photo looks awesome. ;)

I don't have any more doubts that it's a genuine 1794 EM polushka. However, is there a known overdate for this particular coin? For one moment it looked like a 94/86 :ninja: I don't have any pictures of a 1786 polushka to compare with but I'm certain the 9 is overdate over a 8. Maybe you can throw my nonsense out of the window BKB?

I think there is a 94/0 but this is not it. I will try to make a photo of my 1786 polushka for you. However, all 1786 I know are overdates from 1775 em. Here is a photo from russian forum. I hope Mr. Andrianov will not oppose my posting of his photo here.

17861oe17861775154fu7.jpg

Archived