CoinPeople.com

Coin photography ... new forum?

bobh

Coin Photography  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should have a new forum here on CoinPeople dedicated to coin photography?

• Yes
    • No

This is a subject which has probably been beaten to death, but there are new cameras, new lenses and in general new technology appearing every day. Since most of us will, at some point, want to (or have to) take pictures or scans of their coins, it would be very useful IMHO if there were a central location of links, stories of other collectors'/photographers' experiences WRT camera, lighting and lens setups, things to avoid, useful tips, etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it ia worth its own forum. In addition to cameras, techniques are well worth discussion. There is a ne book out, Numismatic Photography, by Mark Goodman (19.77 on Amazon). The technique he describes is not the same that I use, but the issues are the same. It took me a couple of hours to read it cover to cover. If I were not already an accomplished photogrpaher, it would take me a couple of weeks to work through his setups, examples, and tests. I don't necessarily agree with all he says, but there are a couple of points I will try in comparison to my philiosophy (I had bypass surgery a week and half ago, so it will be a month or two before I have the chance to compare his comments to my own experience). Beyond that, there are a number of more advanced issues to be resolved and well worth talking about how to solve them.

I don't know Mark Goodman, but I recommend the book if you are trying to start out with coin photography.

Photography has been my focus (PI) for a while.

Actually I'm not trying to do photography as an accurate representation of a type of coin as much as I'm trying to show the coins as individual works of art. Another difference is that the main focus of this board is numismatics whereas my subjects are usually modern governmental bullion releases.

2003Britannia2copy.jpg

2006dog2.jpg

1991Kook2.jpg

2003Britannia2copy.jpg

A good example to discuss. Capturing the highlight and shodows on this piece to show the elements of the design is well done and not easy. What was your setup, how did you adjust your lights, etc.

It doesn't have to be expensive, but ultimately it will take some expense to make a photograph of this quality.

Other topics, how much post processing is fair to illustarte a coin for the purposes of illustration versus the purposes of representing the ieces for sale?

It exists:

LINKY

Thanks for the link, drwstr123 ... I knew there must be something out there about coin photography other than the "usual suspects". ;) However, I think that since most of the emphasis in the CoinPeople forums is on coins and collecting, I still think it would be nice to have our own photography sub-forum rather than have to go to a different forum which is more focussed (ahem...) on photography rather than coins ... but YMMV, and it is certainly good to have at least one forum which concentrates on both!

Today I cashed in the gift certificates my wife gave me for our anniversary, added a few $$$ of my own and bought a Nikon D60 SLR camera body together with a Nikkor 105 Micro (macro) lens. On the way to the store, I had to pass by one of the local coin shops, so I picked up a nice UNC (?? as far as I could tell...) 1914 Peruvian 1 Libra together with a couple of Russian 5 kopek hockey pucks.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to trying out my toys now! :ninja: Will post more results here later this week.

I think it ia worth its own forum. In addition to cameras, techniques are well worth discussion. There is a ne book out, Numismatic Photography, by Mark Goodman (19.77 on Amazon). The technique he describes is not the same that I use, but the issues are the same. It took me a couple of hours to read it cover to cover. If I were not already an accomplished photogrpaher, it would take me a couple of weeks to work through his setups, examples, and tests. I don't necessarily agree with all he says, but there are a couple of points I will try in comparison to my philiosophy (I had bypass surgery a week and half ago, so it will be a month or two before I have the chance to compare his comments to my own experience). Beyond that, there are a number of more advanced issues to be resolved and well worth talking about how to solve them.

I don't know Mark Goodman, but I recommend the book if you are trying to start out with coin photography.

Mark's book is excellent. I took me 4 years to learn what he wrote. As to your surgery. GOD be with you.

DSC_3439_edited.jpg

DSC_3440_edited.jpg

Mark's book is excellent. I took me 4 years to learn what he wrote. As to your surgery. GOD be with you.

(images snipped)

From the EXIF data in these pictures, I see that you are a fellow Nikon user (D200). Did you use a macro lens, or some other kind of lens?

I voted NO. There are way to many such forums out there now. Table Top Photography for example. Also, on many other coin forums there is such a forum. www.coppercoins.com has one and the person that has that web site brags about taking many thousands of photos of coins. Also, if you go to 'google and type in coin photography, you'll end up with forums and web sites dedicated to that subject. This is just over done so one more wouldn't help.

In among all this Hi-Fi camera discussion, is there anyone out there that has any recommendations for the weilders of cameras like mine?

Samsung Digimax L85 8.1 megapixels. Lens 7.8-39mm zoom.

Or is there no hope? :ninja:

No hope as far as I'm concerned. I hae a Samsung L73 and although it takes rather nice photos, I don't think I'll ever remember how to do anything with the stupid thing. Way to many untagged buttons that your supposed to remember. Then of course there is the stupid dedicated battery pack in mine. The battery must stay in the camera to be charged. This makes it a mess if you are using the camera and the battery goes dead and you havre to stop everything to wait for it to recharge. If you out somewhere, not possible. Just a dumb camera. I also have a Sony, DXG, Cannon and a Fuji S7000. The Samsung is the worst.

Hmm! Strange! My experience has been good. All the coin photographs on my Omnicoin site were taken with this model. The only problem I have is with particularly shiny coins. Unc and Proof. All I get is an image of the camera on the coin. Oblique shooting has never proved satisfactory for me even after 'tweeking' with PSP!

From the EXIF data in these pictures, I see that you are a fellow Nikon user (D200). Did you use a macro lens, or some other kind of lens?

Sigma 90mm Macro, 2 X 13w Ott lights.

Many cams are worthy of great pics. It takes learning the cam. As to a DSLR, the Pentax is a fine choice. It's the least costly, smallest. and lightest.

snipped ...

Thanks for the details as to your setup! :ninja:

I live in Switzerland, and I have looked around for awhile for some good lighting which doesn't cost an arm & a leg ... what are "Ott lights"? Are these halogen/incandescent/something else?

I usually try to use natural light, indirect sunlight which comes in through two windows in our kitchen. Sometimes I use a mix of halogen and incandescent lights, though, depending on the coin and its condition. I have found that proofs or UNC proof-like coins seem to like more harsh lighting, for example, than AU circulated or regular MS coins.

Sigma 90mm Macro, 2 X 13w Ott lights.

Many cams are worthy of great pics. It takes learning the cam. As to a DSLR, the Pentax is a fine choice. It's the least costly, smallest. and lightest.

I almost bought either a Sigma 90 or Tokina 100 to go with the Nikon D60. But I was impatient, and they had a Nikkor 105 Micro in stock whereas I would have had to order the others ... so I bought the Nikon/Nikkor combo.

Did you ever have the opportunity to try the Nikkor lens with your camera?

I almost bought either a Sigma 90 or Tokina 100 to go with the Nikon D60. But I was impatient, and they had a Nikkor 105 Micro in stock whereas I would have had to order the others ... so I bought the Nikon/Nikkor combo.

Did you ever have the opportunity to try the Nikkor lens with your camera?

Wow! I'm happy for the interest. First, the Nikon/Nikor combo it just about the best. There's one lens that is a step up, but very costly, 85mm PC Nikor.(PC-perspective control) The Ott lights are crafting lights, made for realistic lighting. They are easy to shoot with if you set the 'white balance'.

Wow! I'm happy for the interest. First, the Nikon/Nikor combo it just about the best. There's one lens that is a step up, but very costly, 85mm PC Nikor.(PC-perspective control) The Ott lights are crafting lights, made for realistic lighting. They are easy to shoot with if you set the 'white balance'.

I was wondering if it is possible to buy the Ott lights here in Switzerland ... anybody have details?

Some people swear by the GE "Reveal" bulbs ... can't get them over here, unfortunately.

Of course, white balance is very important; if you do it correctly (manually), then a wide variety of lighting is possible.

I voted NO. There are way to many such forums out there now. Table Top Photography for example. Also, on many other coin forums there is such a forum. www.coppercoins.com has one and the person that has that web site brags about taking many thousands of photos of coins. Also, if you go to 'google and type in coin photography, you'll end up with forums and web sites dedicated to that subject. This is just over done so one more wouldn't help.

Thanks, just_carl! ;) That is what I was hinting at when I stated in the first message in this thread, that the topic might have already been "beaten to death". Even if we decide NOT to have our own forum here, I think it would be great to pin a thread with links to other fora (like the ones you mentioned) which also cover coin photography.

OTOH, let's consider the possibility that some of our members such as TomD might never visit any of the other fora. I'd hate to entertain the notion that I might never have seen any of his coin pictures, which are among the most spectacularly beautiful that I have ever seen, just because I had to look elsewhere... :ninja:

Archived