CoinPeople.com

I’m confused

alexbq2

Well, that’s a new one. The seller doesn’t seem to want my money?! What did I ever do to him?

Here’s a fugly coin I won a month ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280207687146

The seller never sent me an invoice or any other communication. I messaged the seller repeatedly for the first 2 weeks, then sort of forgot about it. He never replied, or demanded his money.

So I’m quite confused, maybe I missed something? Maybe he specifies how to conduct a transaction somewhere else in German? (not my favorite language) Should I just give up? Or am I going to end up with a non-payment complaint?

I would appreciate if anyone knows this seller and/or can explain to me what happened and how to proceed.

He may not know English...

Also, it looks like he doesn't want to sent outside of Germany...so he may not be the best of sellers i.e. he isn't prepared to bother going about finding the postage to your country.

"Wieviel ist der versandkost nach ...(insert country) bitte?" might help, though my German is not brilliant.

By the way, why call that coin Fugly?

Looks okay for it's generation...

He may not know English...

Also, it looks like he doesn't want to sent outside of Germany...so he may not be the best of sellers i.e. he isn't prepared to bother going about finding the postage to your country.

"Wieviel ist der versandkost nach ...(insert country) bitte?" might help, though my German is not brilliant.

By the way, why call that coin Fugly?

Looks okay for it's generation...

Thanks, I'll try that.

Here's his feedback - http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=mein...irn=Received+by

So I'm not the only one confused by this seller. I usually expect them to disapear after I send the payment!?

BTW, the coin is fugly because:

i) it's not pretty

ii) I'm probably not gonna get it

Well apart from the fact you can't really complain about a coin you bid for and was successful in winning, I can only give you an anecdote about a seller that I won a Vatican City type set from last summer; it turned out he was an old guy who had been taken ill and that was the reason why he also had another negative from a seller (much less patient than me) who had gone ahead and punished him. I am not sure why your seller has a horde of negatives but it could be for any number of reasons?.... Forget trying to get in touch as there seems to be something clearly wrong and instead get int touch with Ebay so they can try and find out what has happened with this person.

Well, that’s a new one. The seller doesn’t seem to want my money?! What did I ever do to him?

Here’s a fugly coin I won a month ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280207687146

The seller never sent me an invoice or any other communication. I messaged the seller repeatedly for the first 2 weeks, then sort of forgot about it. He never replied, or demanded his money.

So I’m quite confused, maybe I missed something? Maybe he specifies how to conduct a transaction somewhere else in German? (not my favorite language) Should I just give up? Or am I going to end up with a non-payment complaint?

I would appreciate if anyone knows this seller and/or can explain to me what happened and how to proceed.

I bought from him (or her?) once ... it took awhile, but he did deliver the goods. Can't remember much about the transaction, except that I got the impression from the handwriting on the cardboard packaging material in which the coin was sent that the seller must be rather old and perhaps a bit confused at times. (What a user name ... "meinpreussen" = "My Prussia" ... Oy vey! I don't really want to know too much about this guy, me thinks...)

Judging from the negative feedback received, and from your current experience with him, I'd guess you might be dealing with someone who could have Alzheimer's disease. ;) Hope everything does work itself out in the end! :ninja:

I don’t really understand this situation. I’ll try to compose something simple in german, maybe that’ll help.

Usually, things are simple on eBay either you’ve been cheated or alles besten.

I do recollect another peculiar experience with a different German or Austrian seller. He posted photos of a coin on eBay that made it look as though it was a rare variety. After I bought it, I receive the common variety of that coin. Turns out that he had mixed up the images of 2 different coins that made mine look rare. However, the seller could not communicate in English, and it took a lot of efforts to explain what my ‘beef’ with him was. Then he apologized for the mistake, but still could not understand why I was unhappy, it seemed that the idea of mintmarks, and what’s so special about them, was new to him. Finally, I lost it and told him that if he doesn’t understand anything about coins he should not deal in that area. His reply surprised the heck out of me. He sent me an indignant reply indicating that he has been dealing in coins for over 20 years or something! Later, he sent me another surprised and angry email asking me why I left him a negative feedback! (I never got any money back but in all honesty it was only 10 bucks)

I still don’t know what to make of that guy. Why talk yourself into sounding like a fraudster?

Maybe this should be thread to vent strange tales of eBay.

Alex, you got to understand that every country has their own cultures. As far as service in particular postal service goes in Germany, I don't have much impression on them and don't expect to. (sorry Kisenish, not saying you are one)

Sure you might get bargain prices there but after mail losses from there and had hassles getting my money back even under registered mail (my email bounced back so I couldn't even contact the seller!) and I had to file everything by Paypal... not a pleasant experience. I'm sure Bobh had a nasty experience from Germany some time ago as well.

It's quite ridiculous... I had 5 mails coming from Germany, 3 of them went "missing", and then in comparison 5 mails from Russia, all of them came late but they all arrived. Makes me wonder what is going on :ninja: I just couldn't take it any longer.

Interesting thread and one that crosses national boundaries and language creates many problems. I can only offer an example that mistakes do happen and honest people clear them up. I recently bid on a rare medal from a dealer, a medal for an event which had two other, rarer medals struck as well. I bought the most common (still scarce in its own right) from the dealer. He only takes checks or money orders, does not post a return policy. The medal arrived, even better than described or shown in the photograph. I was happy with the seller. Then he posts the second most rare variety of the commemorative medal and I bid a good amount. I win, send off a check, and an example of the first scarce medal arrives in the mail. I am definitely upset, feeling scammed, and the check has not cleared (a plus of the internet), so I stop payment on the check and email the seller. He calls the next day and cannot understand why I am upset. He sent the medal he listed, he cannot understand how it can be different from what appeared in the photograph, blah, blah, blah. He says to send the medal back, no problem, he will send my check because he has not yet cashed it. I say, tear it up, I did a stop payment. I sent the medal back (at this point I have his medal and he has no money from me). Three weeks later, I receive an email with an apology, a statement that he has found the original medal and can clearly see the differences, and he offers the medal at the price of my original bid and shipping minus the shipping costs and other expenses I already paid. I feel good about the interaction and something tells me he is honest. I send him another check--big risk I know, but something said this guy is honest--and I receive the medal I had bid on, again before my check cleared.

The moral is that mistakes can happen. True, there are dishonest people out there and you cannot avoid them all, no matter what. But, with a little judgment, there are honest people who sometimes make a mistake. In the end, I wound up with the medal I wanted, it is very rare, and I got it at a very good price despite the problems along the way. I gave him positive feedback with a note about the error (which generated an email from Ebay asking for an explanation for their records about the seller). The seller gave me positive feedback for the speed of my payment and my communications. I will do business with the man again.

I'd just forget about it. Either he/she is away and will eventually get back to you or else has decided not to sell.

I don't know if you are interested in this as a type coin or as a variety.

I can't speak to date/variety, but as a type coin, this is not an exciting piece and more attractive examples can be found without much trouble.

I'd just forget about it. Either he/she is away and will eventually get back to you or else has decided not to sell.

I don't know if you are interested in this as a type coin or as a variety.

I can't speak to date/variety, but as a type coin, this is not an exciting piece and more attractive examples can be found without much trouble.

I probably will forget it eventually, but

1) I don't want this guy to start complaining about my non payment

2) I actually would like to get that coin, although I can live without it

Yes, this coin is far from attractive. But, CM coins of that type in my experience are mostly badly made in the first place. They are all struck out of collar, and for some reason very lumpy (uneven). This causes large patches to wear out completely on most of these coins

My guess is looking at the postal options, that he only wanted to deal with mailing it to Germany and not overseas. He doffed the auction and hopes you will just go away. I would open up a dispute through eBay(as though it really does any good, but makes you feel as though you tried) and see what happens.

Archived