CoinPeople.com

Where are the new designs.... HERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!!

Johnny 1989

Well since the announcement in November 2005 that new desgins would be on there way we have been waiting to see them and they definately are different

NEWDESIGNSREVEALED.JPG

NEWDESIGNSFORMATION.JPG

Background & History

As a powerful symbol of royal authority the Royal Arms, in its various forms, has featured on the coinage of almost every monarch since the reign of Edward III (1327-77). Coins were, and still are, issued under the personal authority of the monarch and came to be regarded as vehicles for royal imagery, whether in the form of a portrait or a monarch’s personal Coat of Arms. As heraldry itself started to grow as a symbol of royal identity, it was a natural progression for it to appear on the coinage. It is not surprising then that Matthew Dent, the winning designer, chose the Royal Arms, and in particular the shield of the Royal Arms, as the theme for his innovative range of new designs, with all four quarters spread over the six coins from the 1p to the 50p. Completing the new range of coins is the £1 coin featuring the shield of the Royal Arms in its entirety, uniting the six fragmented elements into one design.

The process of choosing the new designs to replace the familiar heraldic emblems on Britain’s circulating coins began with a public competition which generated more than 4,000 designs from over 500 people - the largest response to any public competition organised to change the British coinage.

Matthew Dent, a professional graphic designer, had seen the competition advertised in one of the

national newspapers and he threw himself wholeheartedly into the project. In seeking to spread a single design across six denominations, Matthew Dent conceived an idea that has never been realised before on the British coinage. Against all the odds, a young artist has won a public competition and devised a stunningly original series that stands as an imaginative and clever solution.

What do we think then? Certainly original, I kind of like them

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm to me it seems there is only really the one design of the shield or coat of arms - with the others being all zoomed-in portions of the same design?

Correct, they are all portions of the design used on the £1 coin

It's certainly a novel new look, different...but I'm not sure how long it will last..

After looking at them several times I have to agree. There rather unique in a sense but how long before there are burning placard demanding the return of Britannia (even though you'll still be able to get coins with her on in circulation for years yet). If anything I think they'll put Britannia on the £2 coin in a few years time anyway.

I think the £1, 10p & 2p look best, the 5p isn't too bad either but the 1p & 20p seem to have the plainest design of the lot.

However I still like them, better than the usual run of the mill kind of design at the do stand out at least. However I think once Charlie/William get to the throne there will be a complete overhaul of them again as you cant really change one design & not the rest as you will then have a "portion" missing

Hmm to me it seems there is only really the one design of the shield or coat of arms - with the others being all zoomed-in portions of the same design?

Certainly looks like it... :ninja:

Oh well, perhaps we should resort to the simple Medieval cross... ;)

Other than the fact that Wales is not represented on them :ninja: I think they look rather nice. I am though dissapointed that we were once more forgoten.

Interesting that the designer is so young - 26 years old. And I do like the idea of a £1 coin that has the complete Royal Arms while the penny/pence denominations show various parts of it.

What I am just wondering about is: These new designs look very good for a one-time (commem style) issue. But considering that most designs of the current series have been used for so many years ... would the British want to see these designs for a similarly long period of time?

Christian

"The current coin designs will remain in circulation and as legal tender for the foreseeable future."

I think they're here to stay, not sure if they'd still mint some commems.

The more I look at them the more I dislike them.

Well, I decided that I need to take an even closer look. ;) So I just ordered them (base metal set) a few minutes ago - a tad expensive at £9.95 but then again shipping (even UK->DE) is free. Das ist gut, hehe.

Bring on the Euro! ;)

Sigh ... :ninja:

Christian

I like the idea and the overall design, but only when viewed as a set. I don't think the individual coins work.

For example if you look at the penny coin in isolation you would think what on earth is up with that??? Looks like a mint error where they have tried to stamp a large design on a small planchet.

Just my opinion!!

well it has its own kind of charm...but only good for a little while...it gets boring seeing parts of a jigsaw puzzle as currency over and over...so for the short run...wow nice design...but for the long run (except the one pound...kinda like that plain look on it :ninja:) its a dull design however a brilliant idea.

i suspect they may be an april fool's joke one day late ...

I doubt it as they're for sale on their site.

I've just noticed that th edesign on the 50p is the other way up (the point at the bottom instead of the top), does this mean the obverse will the reverse way up as well or will it remain the same way up?

I ordered the double pack (last of the old, first of the new) for £19.90, may split the single pack old style one to put in my albums, not sure yet.

Archived