CoinPeople.com

Help please

zjemller

No. 3 is Ottoman Empire, most likely Turkey or Egypt. The date is hard to read, especially the next to last character, but I think it's 1300AH (11/12/1882-11/2/1883).

No. 3 is Turkish (Ottoman empire), and the date is AH 1255, year 2, so AH 1256 (about 1840 AD). I can't tell if it is billion or silver, looks too thin to be copper, so I couldn't say about the denomination as I don't have references with me.

Amazing what a difference one letter makes. :ninja:

"Billion" with two "i"s - One thousand million in the US, one million million in the UK.

"Billon" with one "i" - An alloy containing less than 50% precious metal - usually silver.

(Certainly a Guinness book record holder, or at least contender, for "Most commonly misspelled word.")

I know it may not make much sense, but I was a better speller in English before I began to think in Spanish phonetics.
Actually it makes a lot of sense. You have become accustomed to a spelling regime within which "to, too and two" would all be spelled "tu", and "ghoti phloigh" could not be pronounced "fish fry". ("rough" "women" "nation", "telephone" "colonel" "high".) :ninja:

. I think the Ottoman coin is made of cooper. It is darker than the picture showes it to be. It is about the size of a nickel but, very very thin. # 4 and 5 are very interesting to me because I think they are from Louis the 15th of France. The problem is that they don't have dates. # 4 has a picture of a guy that looks a lot like him. On the reverse it has a sun shyining over a tree. On the obv it sais:VD.X#.DG FR.ET.H.REX on thereverse it sais:## FRVG IVSD HX ER P# T.H# The realy corodet #5 sais the preatty much the same thing. Under bright light you could see the outlines of what used to be a ship on the reverse.

Any T ;) houghts

Thanks a lot guys :ninja:

The date pins #3 down as what Krause calls "Pre-Reform Coinage" of Abdul Mejid. (After a closer look I completely agree with acanthite on that score.)

Size and general appearance-wise, the only match in the 2001 3rd Ed. 19th Century volume is KM#659, 1.58-1.60g of gold (fineness unspecified), with a Qustantiniyah (Constantinople) mint mark. The denomination is given as "Memduhiye Altin", with a nominal value of 20 piastres and an actual value that varied with the price of gold. All dates from 1255-1259 are valued in that edition at $45 VG, $55 F, $75 VF and $150 XF. No mintage figures are given.

The obverse of the copper 5 Para is very similar, but the reverse is quite ornate and totally different. In addition that coin's first year of mintage was Regnal Year 7 (AH1261).

Even though the picture does not look like gold, it would be interesting to know the weight. After all, no one has ever accused Krause of infallibility in it's listings. :ninja:

Archived