CoinPeople.com

George III Medals

Ooooh, those are pretty ones!!!

943724.jpg943723.jpg

George III & City Arms. Bristol 1d Token 1811. Copper 34mm. by T.Halliday. Withers#415--------------------Middlesex National Series D&H 1138. ND 22mm Gilt Bronze. Geo III & Charlotte. Patrons of Virtue. Scarce. Engraved by Thomas Wyon Senior.

943722.jpg

Middlesex National Series 1789 1/2d D&H 938. BHM 310. 25mm Gilt Bronze. Georgivs III Dei Gratia. Hail Britain Heaven Restores Your King. by Wilmore & Alston & Co. Rare

Still a few more to come

It's good to see some more local items on an international forum!

Very nice, keep up the good collecting constanius!

Clive.

943773.jpg Sentimental Token: This is the first of a set of 13 by Kirk given as a gift each month to purchasers of The Sentimental Magazine. George III King of Great Britain ETc. Bronze 26mm. I will be posting my other Sentimental tokens, in a different post. I just need 1 more to complete my set.

943774.jpg George III & Queen Charlotte. Coronation Medal by T.Ward 1761. Bronze 39mm.

Thanks AuldFartte & Clive for your nice comments. Notice I kept the Best One till last. NOT!

Not a problem as you have some lovely medals, I've always fancied collecting medals and so have kept anything that I've come across but don't go out of my way to collect them if you know what I mean!

I quite like that last one actually, has a lot of character yet reminds me of the Early Milleds Bronze with seated Britannia.

May I ask what the Sentimental Magazine was? All I can find on Google is a bridal magazine...

Clive.

When I brought my first one I had no idea what it was, nor did the person I brought it from. When I found out about them I became hooked, partly, because for the times they were so well engraved, and struck, and because as there was only 13 in the series, it was a set I could hope to complete. You can still find them "unknown". See picture below from Ebay, spot the Duchess of Gloucester Sentimental Token still with lustre. I purchased the collection of odds & ends for the minimum bid (2 or 3 dollars a year or so ago) just for that medal. Nobody else spotted it

Duchess_Gloucester_Sentimental.jpg

Hope this below helps.

Some Selected Reports from the Bath Journal Monday, March 29th, 1773 :

The Sentimental Magazine

A NEW MAGAZINE, With every Number of which will be given a curious MEDAL, struck on fine Metal, about the Size and Weight of a Guinea, executed by Mr. KIRKE, who is universally esteemed the First Artist in London in his Profession. This Medal will of itself, exclusive of the Magazine, be Worth at least Half-a-Crown; it will represent some reigning Toast, some Great Personage, some Hero celebrated in the Annals of our own Kingdom, or in those of the Continent, some Patriot, or some uncommon literary Genius.

On Thursday the First of April will be Published, Price Six-Pence, In which will be given an elegant Medal of his Majesty George III. the Dye of which is executed by Mr. Kirke, and esteemed a most Striking Likeness; and also embellished with Copper-Plates, designed and engraved by the best Masters NUMBER I. [to be continued Monthly] of The SENTIMENTAL MAGAZINE Or, GENERAL ASSEMBLAGE of SCIENCE, TASTE and ENTERTAINMENT.

Calculated to amuse the Mind, to improve the Understanding, and to amend the Heart. London: Printed for the Authors, and sold by G. KEARSLEY, removed from Ludgate-street to No. 46 in Fleet-street, and by all other Booksellers in Great Britain and Ireland. *** The MEDAL to be given with each Number will be sealed up in a Kind of silky Paper, provided for that Purpose, to prevent any Injury to the fine Impression of the Dye; and it will be so affixed to the Magazine, as to render it portable with it without any Inconvenience. Those Persons who are desirous of having any of the Medals given in the Course of this Work, struck in Gold, Silver, &c. may, by applying to the Publisher, be supplied with them on the most reasonable Terms.

943942.jpg

George III Mudie Dedication Medal 1st of a series of 40. OBV. by WEBB REV. by DEPAULIS. WM.41mm

943941.jpg

This appears to be a fake George III Indian Peace Medal. GEGIVS is the spelling used (That would not fool anyone). 36mm Bronze slight traces of silver. Supposedly by T.WYON.J.JUN:S An interesting piece to add to my George III collection.

943729.jpgCartwheel 2d 1797. George III. Britannia.

Good old twopence, I love those coins and have to resist keeping everyone I come across!

The cartwheel pennies and IoM cartwheel halfpennies are also nice.

During the magazine’s short five-year life span it did report both domestic and foreign news, births, marriages,deaths, letters to the editor,bankruptcies, and poetic essays. However, over time it developed strong editorial sympathy and support of the American Colonies’ struggle forindependence. By embracing, what for many in England was an unpopular cause; it experienced a steady decline in readership. The “Sentinmental” continued to be published until December 1777 when it disappeared from the journalistic world, leaving only the thirteen medalets to mark its existence.

Thank you. Interesting and informative post about the history of a medal series.

943773.jpg Sentimental Token: This is the first of a set of 13 by Kirk given as a gift each month to purchasers of The Sentimental Magazine. George III King of Great Britain ETc. Bronze 26mm. I will be posting my other Sentimental tokens, in a different post. I just need 1 more to complete my set.

I love that portrait of GIII

Geo_III_Sentimental.jpg

Drusus & Bill this one is for you. Please, fully enlarge it and you will be amazed by the quality that John Kirk achieved in 1773 on 26mm of bronze. Every hair, and the embroidery on shirt and cravat etc. I wish we could post this size of image on Omnicoin, but at least we do have the option of attachements here.

I appreciate several things about medals (and coins for that matter). One is the quality of the work, the other is the quality of the stories that accompany them. Bravo! Wonderful sculptural detail. If you have not thought about an article for something like TAMS Journal, The Numismatist, etc, I would think seriously about it. Neat series.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Elverno that is high praise coming from you.

Geo_III.jpgGeo_III_R.jpg944785.jpg

Jubilee Medal 1809. WM 55mm in brass ring with loop by P. Wyon. These all seem to turn black and it is hard to see details of the design. Shame, as they were fine medals when made, but time as not been kind to them. Compare this to the older visit to St Pauls medal, which is as struck, as are most of the other jubilee medals. Perhaps the brass ring is the problem?

It could be the ring but a friend of mine, now sadly passed away, once told me that that was the result of an old lacquer job. When that stuff flakes off you certainly usually see a pristine surface so it's probably not oxidation. Your selection is really nice. I had to pull down my main link where I was using the BHM numbers and descriptions because Spinks didn't like it... :ninja:

And since I'm too lazy to re-write all those pages my British stuff isn't the easiest to find.

• 2 months later...

949391.jpg

Death of King George III.25mm bronze by T. Kettle.BHM.993.RR

949739.jpg

George III. obverse: God Protects The Just. reverse: G III Completed The 50th Year Of His Reign Oct 25th 1810. by Kettle 25mm silvered bronze. common.

949299.jpg

Coronation Medal 1761. Obverse: Bare-headed busts of George III and Charlotte right. Reverse: View of London. On scroll: FELICITAS BRITANNIAE; in exergue: DIIS AUSPICIBUS MDCCLXI. 25mm Bronze.

948007.jpg

K George III & Q Charlotte Crownd (sic)se 22 1761. Coronation Medal. REV: Royal Coat-of-Arms. Brass 32mm

948005.jpg

George III. Advertising Token by Macniven & Camerons for their 200th aniversary. Whether it was actually used is doubtful, as the Waverly pen mentioned, ceased production in 1964. Could be a pattern. Brass 25mm.

947998.jpg

Medal for the accession of George III October 25th 1760. 40mm gilt bronze by Pingo.REV: FELICITAS BRITANNIAE. INEUNTE REGNO. Notice Britannia and the Lion treading on the fleur-de-lis.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived