CoinPeople.com

Ugh - the frustration of scanning something bigger than A4

gxseries

No no, I'm not thinking of scanning a monster sized coin but two coin related posters that I have bought ;) One is Soviet commemorative coins and the other is Soviet medals released through by the Soviet-German venture Mezhnumizmatika.

They look nice but when I tried scanning, because of the folds and size of them, I can't scan them them right. This is one of the images that I have scanned:

sovietgoldmedalsqz9.jpg

Having trouble trying to piece them up together :ninja: Anyone else got a better suggestion on what to do with such a huge poster? I suppose the fastest solution is to find a XXL size scanner but I can't think of any near my area.

Art, these posters were printed back in the USSR days (1989 as it says) so I would doubt if they would have any kind of electronic version back then. The seller who sold them to me just took a photo of them and I bought them as it is. Quite interesting - I'll do my best and see what I can pull out. :ninja:

Someone with a good copystand setup who knows how to photograph documents could make digital images for you. They'd probably be quite large but you could always reduce/compress them.

It'll be annoying but I'd scan it in sections and mend it together using software.

That's the most practical way to do it, just scan the lowest number possible of scans (two or four in this case, i guess...) and use a photo editor program with multi-layer (layers) capability (GIMP which is free or Adobe Photoshop, etc.) to join the scans.

Jose :ninja:

Paintshop Pro works, but after 'pasting as new selection' you have to make sure you have designated a large enough 'New' page. Then of course, if you want to be able to read it, you have to find someone with an A3, or larger, printer!! A local print works could help directly from the sectional images on disk. Is it worth it? :ninja:

Have you tried a printing shop yet? Many of them have large scanners (up to like 36 inches across or something like that). A lot of engineering firms have been scanning drawings and converting them into a CAD file for years.

I should try to find one near my area - need to get a directory. Thanks guys. By the way, here are the scans - 10.3mb though. Hopefully you can see why I find it pretty cool.

http://www.gxseries.com/numis/soviet_posters.zip

I did a bit of overlap so hopefully if I am going to piece them up or if anyone else is going to that it would look neat. :ninja:

Ok, I pieced the first two together, but they are far from flawless, as some pieces just wouldn't fit seamlessly, and there are some shade differences between pieces for the second one. Still, I did some levels adjustments to make the blacks, blacker and the whites... whiter ;).

For screen friendly pics, click on thumbnails (they still are pretty big though :ninja:).

poster1rh3.th.jpg poster2gn5.th.jpg

For full size, download from the following links (imageshack won't take files greater than 1.5 MB):

Poster 1

Poster 2

Archived