CoinPeople.com

Do you see the same thing as I do?

gxseries

It's confirmed - coin arrived today. Definately 1731 kopek overstruck on 1724 kopek over Peter I kopek.

931789.jpg

Here is a reference from Uzdenikov

cu_group_iv.jpg

If you have trouble seeing where it is, the orientation of the word "kopek" is sloping downwards at 100 degrees on the reverse of the double head eagle. The word "II" should be obvious as it is protruding on the left joint (between the body and the wing)

The bottom is not that difficult either (blame my bad photography) - the word "goda" is viewable at the bottom - the letter "O" is right in between the ribbons of the ferns which makes the others easier to identify. Maybe if you have a couple of alcoholic drinks, you may be able to see a faint outline of St. George and the dragon. Unfortunately I don't think I can see the number 1724 at the moment but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. At least I'm happy as the real deal for an original 1724 kopek will cost a bomb. ;) I don't think I have seen any on auction in recent years. (haven't been checking it out) Definately a better example than the older one I have. Even so, overstruck 1724 kopeks aren't very common.

Speaking of which, this definately started out as a Peter I kopek which you can look at the surroundings of the double headed eagle - you should be able to see a few cyrillic letters. Oddly though, this has a netted edge - when do you think it was reedged? :ninja: In 1724? 1731? But is it worthwhile to even reedge such coins or was it doable? I thought they were edged first before they were struck.

Archived