CoinPeople.com

Fake NGC Slabs.....

LostDutchman

yeah.... thats right guys... these bad boys are coming out of china... they look really good... they are showing up on e bay...

you have to pay particular attention to the font and alignment of the insert....

4tsp5p2.jpg

642h4m0.jpg

notice how the "U" in "AU" on the original has a tail. The colors on the slabs are correct these colors have been changed to identify them as fakes.

Gees, I wonder if they have lead paint in the holder?

:ninja:

The main differences I can see in the fonts are :

On the real VF the F is narow.

and as Matt says "U" in "AU" on the original has a tail.

But it is getting scary. If NGC don't fix this they are going to loose a lot of credibility and trust.

This will scare you more, here are the results of looking up the certs on NGC:

Certification # 2030704-002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date / Info 1798 LARGE EAGLE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denomination S$1

Grade VF 20

and the second one:

Certification # 1515842-002

Date / Info 1795 DRAPED BUST

Denomination S$1

Grade AU 55

They are taking real cert numbers and putting fake coins in the slabs. This could be a huge issue with the certified coin market/industry.

This will scare you more, here are the results of looking up the certs on NGC:

Certification # 2030704-002

Date / Info 1798 LARGE EAGLE

Denomination S$1

Grade VF 20

and the second one:

Certification # 1515842-002

Date / Info 1795 DRAPED BUST

Denomination S$1

Grade AU 55

They are taking real cert numbers and putting fake coins in the slabs. This could be a huge issue with the certified coin market/industry.

:ninja:;);)

Wow! They realy are doing their homework.

Here's the cert for the third one (the Yen):

Certification # 2151158-004

Date / Info M3(1870) JAPAN TYPE 1

Denomination YEN

Grade MS 62

I do not agree with illegal acts (fake slabs), but this will correct the market's value of the slab. If more of these fakes do start turning up, the coin itself will again become the object of desire. The certificate and plastic are certainly reassuring, but to know for yourself that the coin you own is authenticate because of your own education is truly something I desire.

Just my 2 cents.

-Scott

I do not agree with illegal acts (fake slabs), but this will correct the market's value of the slab. If more of these fakes do start turning up, the coin itself will again become the object of desire. The certificate and plastic are certainly reassuring, but to know for yourself that the coin you own is authenticate because of your own education is truly something I desire.

Just my 2 cents.

-Scott

I agree with you, but most people are speculators/investors and not purist collectors, so they like this tomb in plastic nonsense.

• 6 months later...

...and PCGS is the target of counterfit slabs as well. The recent thread on the Collector's Universe Forums is a very interesting read. Looks like the 'trigger' slab was a fake with a real number from a genuine slab sold in a heritage auction. Most agree that, from the pic, the slab looks close - I would be surprised if we don't soon hear about some of the finer diagnostics. The thread is particularly interesting because of the communications with the 'alleged' slabber in China.

The irony is that, at some level, the slab makes it more difficult to detect the fake coin!

*sheesh* tough hobby sometimes.

This isn't new, I have been preaching for people to beware on my wesbite for months. I have a page that is updated daily (if needed) so buyers and collectors can stay on top.

Sure, this is not the first fake slab, but this recent batch of fake PCGS slabs is new - in fact on your website you have a report on these PCGS slabs titled, "Breaking News..March 27.." PCGS issued a statement about them on their site (which is included in the report on your site). The chutzpah of the alleged source, as related in the PCGS thread, is, again, an interesting read.

The fake slabs are poping up everywhere. They have just about every TPGS name on them. Some have been acutally laughed at since some things were misspelled. Some have numbers that run off into the edges, some have poor plastics so they are almost not clear. Not only are they coming from China but some people right here are placticing opening a real slab and replacing the coins with lower greaded ones. One dealer at a coin show showed me one that was actually funny. I could not tell it had been tampered with. The lable was for a MS-62 or something cent and the coin was a really bad Roosevelt Dime. He said he did it to show people you have to really be carefull of there.

Sure, this is not the first fake slab, but this recent batch of fake PCGS slabs is new - in fact on your website you have a report on these PCGS slabs titled, "Breaking News..March 27.." PCGS issued a statement about them on their site (which is included in the report on your site). The chutzpah of the alleged source, as related in the PCGS thread, is, again, an interesting read.

You're correct, I didn't mean to respond like I did. But I had just posted the PCGS story amd remember posting the NGC story only a few months ago.

Yes, the entire article linked from my site is really interesting. I wonder who took the pictures? I see the faces are erased over.

Archived