CoinPeople.com

2€ CC Monaco 2007 "Gracia Patricia"

El Buitre

Hi,

i saw today in an other coin-forum:

The director of the OETP-Monaco gives the information, that Monaco is planning to issue the first 2 euro commemorative coin in year 2007. The occasion is the 25th anniverary of the death of Grace Patricia Kelly (Princess Gracia Patricia). The coin will feature a portrait of her. It is planned to issue the coin in BU quality. Mintage quantity or any other coin issue of Monaco are not yet known, because the amount of the authorized coin issuance volume is not yet know.

I received your questions about the mint program of Monaco in 2007.

That program still is not acheived because we are waiting for the amount that is allowed to Monaco, as France didn't communicate the exact quantity of 2 Euro Traité de Rome they will mint.

Monaco intends to issue a 2 Euro commemorative coin with the portraitof Princess Grace that was used in 1982, as it will be 25th commemoration of her death. We don't know the quantity and it should be a B.U. quality.

Maybe there will be an other product but it will depend on the amount of the production allowed.

Greetings

El Buitre

Maybe there will be an other product but it will depend on the amount of the production allowed.

Hmm, Monaco can issue 1/500 of the annual French output (in terms of face value). So that coin will probably not be extremely rare, but I suppose that many collectors will want it ...

And here is a list that I just posted elsewhere; may be useful in this context. This month all euro countries issue the €2 "50 years Treaty of Rome" commem. In addition to that, the following commemorative coins have been or will be issued in 2007:

Belgium: Reopening of the Natural Science Museum

Finland: 90th anniversary of Finland's independence

Germany: German States - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Luxembourg: Palais Grand-Ducal

Monaco: Gracia Patricia died 25 years ago

Portugal: European Union Presidency II/2007

San Marino: Giuseppe Garibaldi born 200 years ago

Vatican: 80th birthday of Pope Benedict XVI

Christian

• 2 months later...

Update: Belgium (Reopening of the Natural Science Museum) and Finland (90th anniversary of Finland's independence) will not be issued - not at all (BE) or not as a €2 commem (FI). Monaco will issue the €2 piece commemorating Princess Grace (Gracia Patricia) next month ...

gracia%20rs.jpg

... but apparently the entire mintage (20,000 AFAIK) will be sold to dealers. Also in July the Portuguese "European Union Presidency" commem http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=330937 will be issued.

Christian

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a larger image of the new coin from Monaco - the country's first commemorative €2 piece.

http://www.numismatico.de/files/monaco2euro_175.jpg

In this case the term "circulating commem", which is sometimes used for those special €2 coins, is extremely far from the truth. :ninja: From what I have read, the issue price was more than €100. Don't know exactly how much a dealer would have to pay, but the 4,000 pieces that can be had at the Grimaldi Forum (they have a "Les Années Grace Kelly" exhibition there) are €110 each ...

The portrait on the €2 coin is, as El Buitre already mentioned, the same that was used in 1982. Well well well. I originally planned to collect all those special €2 issues, but this is ridiculous. Sure, the total mintage of 20,000 is low (Monaco can only mint 1/500 of the French annual output), but I am not going to pay 150 to 200 euro for that thing.

Maybe I should buy this stamp instead, which was issued on the same occasion. Much nicer if you ask me, and probably not quite as expensive. ;)

TimbreAnneesGraceKellyAG.gif

Christian

Archived