CoinPeople.com

Some thoughts of value of overstruck Russian coins.

gxseries

This is a thread that I believe that might spark some interest about Russian overstruck coins. Overstruck coins are just - well terribly UGLY and unique as you can have various rotation and striking impression that makes them overall quite unusual

I believe the most desirable overstruck coin is when you have clear details as well as having as many dates as possible. The wildest that I have seen is a 1758/7 2k over 1756 1k over 1727 5 kopek ;) !!!!!!!!!! Imagine that on a slab :ninja:

Currently I believe some coins are too undervalued and decided to put a list of the common overstruck coins that I have and saw on the net. Prices are ESTIMATED and vary strongly according to how clear the underlying image is so don't condemn me if it's too high or too low! ;) I am assuming that the underlying imagine is relatively "clear" as in, the year and the details are identifiable. There is also a lot of other factors to be included in the final value such as if the underlying image have unusual varieties, etc. Lastly, the price factor that I came up with is influcenced by what I bought at ;)

Of course there is a wider list but that gets a bit too long and involves some much rarer coins.

(try to assemble them if you can!!!)

Please provide pictures if you can fill in the others!

Anna denga (1730-1735) overstruck on Peter I (1700-1720) kopek

$30

901694.jpg

1730 denga over 1717 1 kopek

Anna denga (1730-1735) overstruck on Peter I 1724 1 year type kopek

$100+??? (It's VERY difficult to find!)

Anna polushka (1730-1735) overstruck on Peter 1 1728,29 kopek

$30

911549.jpg

1731 polushka over 1728 kopek

Elizabeth I (1741-43?) ruble, poltina overstruck on Ionna III (1741) ruble, poltina

$300+, $unknown?

Elizabeth I (1755-1757) 1 kopek clouds on the sky overstruck on Peter I (1726-1730) 5 kopeks

$200+

Elizabeth I (1757-1761) 1 kopek overstruck on Swedish 1 ore (assuming pre 1750s)

$100+ (Mystery coin)

917281.jpg

Elizabeth I (1757-1761) 2 kopeks overstruck on previously overstruck Elizabeth I 2 kopeks overstrucked 5 kopeks (1755-1757) (note, it is possible that such design could have missed the clouds in the sky design and overstruck on Peter I (1726-1730) 5 kopeks)

$50+

903396.jpg

1759 2 kopeks overstruck on 1755 1 kopek MMD over 1727 5 kopeks

Peter I (1762) 1,2,4,10 kopeks overstruck on Elizabeth I 1/2,1,2,5 kopeks

(most of them are over 500+USD if I'm not mistaken)

Catherine II (1763-1767, 1788) 1/2,1,2,5 kopeks overstruck on Peter III (1762)overstrucked 1,2,4, 10 kopeks

$400+(hard!), $200+, $30, $40

Catherine II (1763-?) 10, 5, 1, poltina rubles overstruck on Peter III (1762) 10, 5, 1 poltina rubles

Hard!!!

902085.jpg

1763 2 kopeks SPM overstruck on Peter III 4 kopeks

901736.jpg

1788 10 kopeks MM overstruck on Peter III 10 kopeks

Catherine I (1795) 1,2 kopeks overstruck on Sadagura (1772-1774) 1 para-3dengi, 2 para-3kopeks

HARD TO FIND!!!

Catherine I (1796) 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 10 overstruck on Elizabeth I, Catherine II 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 5 kopeks.

Hard!!!

Pavel's overstriking program (dies are usually from 1793EM)

Catherine 1 (1793) 5, 2 kopeks over (1796) 10, 4 kopeks

$80, $200+

901737.jpg

1793 EM overstruck on 1796 10 kopeks

I think I roughly covered the most common ones. The rarer coins involved Peter I rubles overstruck on other European silver crowns which is still under research. Nevertheless, VERY pricy.

Personally I think, if one is to get an example of overstruck Russian coins, the easiest to find in this list should be the Catherine II 2 kopeks overstruck on Peter III 4 kopeks and then the 5 kopeks overstruck on 10 kopeks. If lucky, one can find Anna denga overstruck on Peter I kopek. The others require a monsterous effort to look for ;)

Hope you enjoyed it :D

Thanks for sharing these amazing coins with us, gxseries! :ninja:

This is one posting going into my bookmarks ;) because it will take me a long time to study each coin!

Very nice collection of overstrikes!

I can contribute a Catherine II 2 kopeck overstruck on an Elizabeth 2 Kopeck (skipping Peter 3), as well as some additional examples from your list.

Could you direct me to a tutorial on posting images the way you have done, via omnicoin? .

Sure thing squirrel, with pleasure ;) That is something I am looking out for.

Firstly you will need to register on http://www.omnicoin.com

You will need a valid email address as coinpeople and omnicoin are two different systems. Hopefully that should be easy and you will need to open a confirmation email from omnicoin

Next thing you do is to "add new coin" and a new page will appear. It would be asking for your coin's obverse, reverse, country, year and description. Hopefully it should sound as easy as it looks here :ninja:

It is recommanded that you crop the images as much as possible as you don't really want to upload a coin image with plenty of background. A free software that you can use is Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/

Once you get several coin images uploaded, you would be getting a list of coins. What you need to do next is to click on the coin that you want to get the image infomation from. For example, after you clicked on a particular coin, you would come down to a page url like this: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=901697

What you need to do is to click on the coin image AGAIN (you should be able to see enlarge) and you would be in this link: [url[http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=901697[/url]

Finally, you can see the picture of your coin. What you should next is to hover your mouse over the coin picture and then "Right Click" > "Properties". You should be able to see the url, which should be http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/901697.jpg

What you should type next in here would be:

[img=http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/901697.jpg]

And then you should be getting this:

901697.jpg

Hopefully it isn't TOO tough. It does need a bit of try but I think that's the fastest way of doing it ;)

It should be a relatively straight forward process but if it's difficult, send me a PM or ask more questions here ;)

Hi, here is one of mine. I will try to insert it in into omnicoin when I have the time. This overstrike is remarkable inasmuch as it reveals both sides of the undercoin, i.e. date and mintmark. The picture can be enlarged by clicking on it. Enjoy, Sigi

http://www.sigistenz.com/bilder/10kop1762o...p1759MMtrim.jpg

speaking of overstrikes... they are Getting pricey... take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

The funniest part is, this guy emailed me to view his listing, because i had bought from him in the past, and wanted to let me know he was selling a very rare "error" coin. I replied with a brief description, mentioning what it really was, and that it wasnt terribly rare, and thanked him anyway. My explanatiion of this coin to him appeared in his auction description the next day! I think he owes me a commision!! :ninja:

The funniest part is, this guy emailed me to view his listing, because i had bought from him in the past, and wanted to let me know he was selling a very rare "error" coin. I replied with a brief description, mentioning what it really was, and that it wasnt terribly rare, and thanked him anyway. My explanatiion of this coin to him appeared in his auction description the next day! I think he owes me a commision!! ;)

This happens a lot, many mentions on the PCGS and NGC forums, etc. Personally I won't tell any eBay seller, regular auctioneer, or dealer anything about anything. I am not in the free dealer education business. If they want my opinion they can pay for it. If you must, tell the guy its a poorly struck, corroded, disgusting piece of snot and not worth anything. See if he uses that in his description :ninja: .

Does the value HAVE to change when I wrote this topic? ;)

Perhaps right now is a good time to sell overstriked coins! :ninja: Oldman, don't you have a handful of such coins? ;)

But seriously, with over 200 dollars, I believe one can get a 1793/96 5k over 10k, which is much scarcer. I don't see why a 2kopek over an overstrucked Peter III 4k is worth that much. Just -absurd-.

Does the value HAVE to change when I wrote this topic? ;)

Perhaps right now is a good time to sell overstriked coins! :ninja:Oldman, don't you have a handful of such coins? ;)

But seriously, with over 200 dollars, I believe one can get a 1793/96 5k over 10k, which is much scarcer. I don't see why a 2kopek over an overstrucked Peter III 4k is worth that much. Just -absurd-.

I am ready . Is anyone buying ? I'll go 10% below market ;) You just need to specify what you need and I'll take it from my old box ;)

Oldman, you wouldn't have some unusual overstrikes hidden in that box of yours do you? ;) Your last image of having several overstrikes did make me drool :ninja:

Well, I do not think there is something unusual per se. I'd just call then INTERESTING. ;)

Im looking for any peter III copper.... maybe a really crappy 2, 4 or 10 Kopeck, overstruck on Elizabeth, but before Katherine messed them all up...

oh, and at normal, "old" prices, not the new "crazy" prices!

and if your not selling, Oldman, perhaps share some more overstrike images? Not a bad way to review whats in the bottom of that treasure box of yours!

I am ready . Is anyone buying ? I'll go 10% below market :ninja: You just need to specify what you need and I'll take it from my old box ;)

Overstrucks 1/2k,1k,2k,5 kopecks (1793AM,1794AM,1795AM...)VF+,any overstrucks of 18 century in XF or better .Can send full list on your request.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived