CoinPeople.com

Ducat(Chervonetz) 1706 .....??

iasonas

I am new member here, but an old collector of russian coins. This coin was offered to me for buying, Ducat 1706 Peter I , SEV. Nr.13, UZD. Nr.0008. weight 3.38 gr.

This scan is not very accurate, because I do not have so much experience in scaning. In reality the colour is powerfull.

2265838_1.jpg

2265823_1.jpg

MonedaRussia2.jpg

I am new member here, but an old collector of russian coins. This coin was offered to me for buying, Ducat 1706 Peter I , SEV. Nr.13, UZD. Nr.0008. weight 3.38 gr.

This scan is not very accurate, because I do not have so much experience in scaning. In reality the colour is powerfull.

There are well-made fakes of the 1706 ducat in existence; I would suggest having this piece authenticated by a professional dealer.

RWJ

Who would buy a coin worth tens of thousands of dollars without proper authentication? :ninja:

Using just a picture is not possible to authenticate this kind. Therefore all I can advise: send to a grading service NGC or PCGS for grading and authentication.

Welcome to the forum!

WCO

There are well-made fakes of the 1706 ducat in existence; I would suggest having this piece authenticated by a professional dealer.

RWJ

I would add that the coins of this level of rarity and significance must be evaluated not by one dealer or by one grading company but by different experienced dealers and collectors, pedigree or 'provenance' is highly recommended too.

I strongly suggest you to send it to at least one slabbing company to ask for their opinions. Come on, for the price of let's say 70 dollars or so, to authenticate it is a cheap price for a mind of peace. Note that this particular piece is extremely rare, as in extremely rare, and if the seller is asking for less than 10,000USD, either he is out of his mind, or he doesn't know the real market value or it's an extremely well made counterfeit.

The thing is, we cannot just judge from the pictures alone. I know there are some high quality examples of such chervonets counterfeited in REAL GOLD simply because of their high value. Pardon me, but mass of the coin will not cut the counterfeit test because the value of the original coin is just too many times greater than the bullion value.

Well, if you want an opinion... I personally do not like the idea of this coin and I think it is a FAKE. If you were to sell it to me, you would have to prove that it is an original. I do not know if anyone bothered to look it up, but this veriety is listed as UNIQUE !!!. No Russian museum has one! The only original known to Bitkin is in a European museum. Now, this is not that specimen -- the weight is wrong and it differs a bit. This is also not a novodel -- the novodel has a different design.

So, the inevitable conclusion is that this is a fake and there could not be another opinion about it untill at least 3 independent experts compare it to the only known original and agree that this is also an original. Is it possible that this is an original? -- yes (people get hit by meteors) Is it Likely -- NO!!! (IMXO)

Well, if you want an opinion... I personally do not like the idea of this coin and I think it is a FAKE. If you were to sell it to me, you would have to prove that it is an original. I do not know if anyone bothered to look it up, but this veriety is listed as UNIQUE !!!. No Russian museum has one! The only original known to Bitkin is in a European museum. Now, this is not that specimen -- the weight is wrong and it differs a bit. This is also not a novodel -- the novodel has a different design.

So, the inevitable conclusion is that this is a fake and there could not be another opinion about it untill at least 3 independent experts compare it to the only known original and agree that this is also an original. Is it possible that this is an original? -- yes (people get hit by meteors) Is it Likely -- NO!!! (IMXO)

BKB,

You are right, I did not even bother to look it up. :ninja: And for obvious reasons you also specified. People rarely get hit by meteorites. ;) In addition to that it is not possible to make a judgment on authenticity looking at the pictures anyway. Why to bother?

Best,

WCO

Archived