CoinPeople.com

Wheat cents with thin planchets

belg_jos

I found several explanations for these, but still ain't sure if mine are real or not.

Could anyone check these for me? The one on the topright is as reference. (normal coin)

This is my very first lot of US errors I've bought, and I wonder if I bought junk or treasure :ninja:

(In this lot was also the Nickle with possible brockage which I will post in a seperate thread)

Thanks

Jos from Belgium

lot-UScents.jpg

lot-UScentsa.jpg

They look like (except the 56-D which I see nothing wrong with) they were struck through grease or oil, they seem to not just be worn, but have a general mushy look. Other than that, they may be thin planchets, have you weighed any of these yet?

I found several explanations for these, but still ain't sure if mine are real or not.

Could anyone check these for me? The one on the topright is as reference. (normal coin)

This is my very first lot of US errors I've bought, and I wonder if I bought junk or treasure :ninja:

(In this lot was also the Nickle with possible brockage which I will post in a seperate thread)

Thanks

Jos from Belgium

Yes these are interesting! I have a similar example (shown below) in my collection. Unfortunately, the opinions I received were mostly along the lines of "after minting damage". Acid? Sandblasting? Who knows how these things get to be this way, but it is difficult to show that they left the mint looking this way.

1935thinkd2.jpg

Yes these are interesting! I have a similar example (shown below) in my collection. Unfortunately, the opinions I received were mostly along the lines of "after minting damage". Acid? Sandblasting? Who knows how these things get to be this way, but it is difficult to show that they left the mint looking this way.

Mine look exactly like yours. It is also strange that the diameter is reduced and there is no rim whatsoever.

I am not able to weigh them, but I would guess they are half the weight of a normal coin.

More information is always welcome

Regards

Jos

Due to the lack of rims, I would say that they have been thinned by being placed in acid.

Why do people do that? To trick collectors? Or what?

I guess that's the problem you get when something becomes popular to collect, like the US errors.

It's just strange that there are so many of them around.

Jos

I remember in high school.. we placed cents in cola to see just how much would be dissolved... all the thin coins shown have had some sort of acidic bath... or like when i was in school... dissolved in cola :ninja:

This makes me think of an episode of a program from the BBC called 'Brainiac'

They did this test with cents in cola, and 'broke the myth' like they call it, because it only makes them a tiny bit clearer, but they don't dissolve the coins like the ones in this thread.

So a stronger acid is needed...

Jos

This makes me think of an episode of a program from the BBC called 'Brainiac'

They did this test with cents in cola, and 'broke the myth' like they call it, because it only makes them a tiny bit clearer, but they don't dissolve the coins like the ones in this thread.

So a stronger acid is needed...

Coca-Cola, or just any old "cola"?

(They just don't make Coke the way they used to!) :ninja:

Archived