CoinPeople.com

Anyone looking for world coins?

gxseries

There is a coin fair coming here in Sydney and it's a fairly moderately large one. It is open today till the end of this week, but it is raining fairly bad today, so I'll be there tomorrow morning.

Dealers that come to this show have various world coins, so if there happened to be some kind of world coins that you can't get hold of, whether it's Aussie or US coins, etc, just post it here as you will never know what I can possibly find. :ninja:

I ended up looking for what Vfox wanted. The ANDA coin fair was fairly interesting as there were a fair amount of people hoarding silver and gold coins and sales are just ridicious. I kind of felt that prices were more expensive than before for almost all coins, and didn't make much purchases this time.

Here are the images that I bought:

anda06augfvm6.jpg

anda06augbdj7.jpg

Neat! I've never seen one of those square cardboard coins before. Must be pretty weird receiving a piece of paper that depicts a coin and told it's "money" :ninja:

Isn't that kind of how our fiat currency works nowadays? lol

That's ok though, I like small coins too, some of my favs are the US half dimes....so tiny, with such great detail.

Anywho, I sent you a PM, talk with you shortly. :ninja:

There's some real nice stuff in there :ninja:

However, there's a mis-print on one of the coin holders.

It's a russian 1 rouble, with a statue on it. I'm talking about this coin:

913591.jpg

The coin holder says 1988, but the coin is actually from 1965. Neither the obverse and reverse hold a date, but it's present in the edge lettering.

This coin commemorates the 20th aniversary of defeating german fascism : 1945 + 20 = 1965

There's some real nice stuff in there :ninja:

However, there's a mis-print on one of the coin holders.

It's a russian 1 rouble, with a statue on it. I'm talking about this coin:

913591.jpg

The coin holder says 1988, but the coin is actually from 1965. Neither the obverse and reverse hold a date, but it's present in the edge lettering.

This coin commemorates the 20th aniversary of defeating german fascism : 1945 + 20 = 1965

I think it is the restrike date. These things were sold by Mezhnumizmatika back in the late 80's and early 90's and were officially restruck by Goznak. The restrike date is in the edge of the coin.

Actually the year 1988 is right, as that is a restrike. In fact around the rims, the legend is, "9 May 1965 * 1988 . N" where the letter N stands for novodel. Original proofs minted in 1965 are quite scarce if I am not mistaken and would have cost several times more.

And yes, Dave is right about the Mezhnumizmatika, and in fact it was a joint between the Goznak mint and some German company.

• 3 years later...

Archived