CoinPeople.com

Images needed : Catherine II 1 Kopecks

Hello :ninja:

I'm preparing the fourth in a series of articles on rarity in Russian Copper Coins, to be published in an upcoming Journal of the Russian Numismatic Society ( Russian Numismatic Society ).

The subject of this paper will be the 1 Kopeck coins of Catherine II (regular series, not the Siberian).

If anybody has any images of coins in their collection (or from elsewhere) that they would like to contribute for the survey database, please post them here or mail them to me at smoulding@earthlink.net). Again, regular series only. I won't be publishing any images; its really just a research census of year/mint. They don't have to be high quality, so long as I can tell the year and mint.

Many thanks in advance

Steve Moulding

Welcome Steve!

Welcome to Coinpeople! I personally have enjoyed reading your homepage and contents and have found them to be very entertaining.

Unfortunately, I realized that I don't have that particular denomination in my collection (and now I know I have plenty more to go except I haven't bothered... :ninja: )

I gave a brief check on omnicoin.com where most of us upload our coin images there and can only find ONE image:

912851.jpg

From Ian's collection.

I guess they can be quite difficult to find afterall! :lol:

Thank you! For the welcome, for the kind words, and for the image! Nice to be here.

Yes, as a denomination the 1Ks are the least-seen of Catherine's regular copper series. For many years the 1K's were of the Siberian type; only near the beginning and end of Catherine's reign did we see the standard design.

Some 1Ks are relatively easy, some are just about impossible. It will be interesting to see which years/mints are collectible, and which are not. In my other studies (Catherine 2K, 5K and Paul Copper) I've sometimes found surprising differences between the rarity tables we see in books (often from tables made 100 years ago) and what we as collectors actually experience (and in some cases have 'known' for a long time when trying to find a supposedly common coin).

Well, thanks again. Look forward to more discussion and more images if anybody would like to contribute.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Steve! As a brand new member of the RNS, I am very much looking forward to reading your articles -- present, past and future!

Here is a current eBay auction for a 1k coin from the time of Catherine II. I only collect the pyatak coins from that period, so I can't judge whether or not these images would be of any help to you:

L I N K

Hello Bob! Thanks for the link and for the nice comments!

Yes, everything is useful regardless of whether people consider these coins common or not. That's the point of the study :lol:

The 1K article has now been published in the Journal of the Russian Numismatic Society.

"From Easy to Impossible: A Study of Rarity in Russian Copper Coins Part 4: Catherine II (1763-96) 1 Kopeck" JRNS82 Summer 2006

Even after publication, I will continue to collect images and will present updated rarity studies as more data becomes available.

BTW, for the Silver folks, there is also a very nice article in JRNS82 by RW Julian on the Moscow Rubles of 1766-1775.

Well thanks again :ninja:

Steve

post-1379-1156819950.jpgpost-1379-1156819966.jpg

Here is one. It is 1795 MM kopek struck over Moldavian para.

That is a great rarity. It's the first example I have "seen" of an overstruck Moldavian coin that wasn't in a book.

Congratulations on owning such an important coin! :ninja:

Yes, everything is useful regardless of whether people consider these coins common or not. That's the point of the study  :ninja:

The 1K article has now been published in the Journal of the Russian Numismatic Society.

"From Easy to Impossible: A Study of Rarity in Russian Copper Coins Part 4: Catherine II (1763-96) 1 Kopeck" JRNS82 Summer 2006

Even after publication, I will continue to collect images and will present updated rarity studies as more data becomes available.

BTW, for the Silver folks,  there is also a very nice article in JRNS82 by RW Julian on the Moscow Rubles of 1766-1775.

Found another here: 1 Kopeika 1788-MM on eBay

Unfortunately, the reverse image is out of focus.

Thanks Igor! Appreciate it. I know of 5 of these (outside of books). It would be nice if this is number 6! Need to check my database.

For other readers (Igor, I know you know this)...as I mentioned in another thread, all 1795MM 1Ks that I know of are struck over the Moldavian Para 3Dengi. The coin Igor shows here is a nice example.

Thanks again

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hello  :ninja:

I'm preparing the fourth in a series of articles on rarity in Russian Copper Coins, to be published in an upcoming  Journal of the Russian Numismatic Society ( Russian Numismatic Society ).

The subject of this paper will be the 1 Kopeck coins of Catherine II (regular series, not the Siberian).

If anybody has any images of coins in their collection (or from elsewhere) that they would like to contribute for the survey database, please post them here or mail them to me at smoulding@earthlink.net).  Again, regular series only. I won't be publishing any images; its really just a research census of year/mint. They don't have to be high quality, so long as I can tell the year and mint.

Many thanks in advance

Steve Moulding

Hello Steve,

I'm sending couple images of the coins.

1. 1763 EM 1 KOPECK

2. 1758 NO M/M 1 KOPECK OVERSTRUCK ON 1 ORE

Welcome to coinpeople, Rarenum!

What caught my eye is the following description:

"2. 1758 NO M/M 1 KOPECK OVERSTRUCK ON 1 ORE"

Do you mean this is overstruck on a Swedish coin? :ninja:

Thank You.Correct 1 kopeck overstruck on Swedish 1 ore.

Overstruck on this particular coin?

906339.jpg

I haven't come across any materials that mentioned striking over Swedish copper coins, but I guess it may be possible... Do you happen to have any higher resolution pictures Rarenum?

Coin in the safe box (Bank) I can send better image in couple days, please send me your email address there I can send higher resolution .

Hello Steve,

I'm sending couple images of the coins.

1. 1763 EM 1 KOPECK

2. 1758 NO M/M 1 KOPECK OVERSTRUCK ON 1 ORE

RARENUM...thank you so much for the images. The 1763EM 1K is indeed difficult to find (I know of 5 others besides this one) and it's a welcome addition to the database. :ninja:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived