CoinPeople.com

1877 Indian head cent

cowhodan

It's impossible to tell without having the coin to diagnose. Color, weight, a very close examination of the date. 1877 could be a modified 187x and such.

Depending on how cheap is cheap, you may want to go ahead and buy it. It grades about poor.

I don't know about real or fake but that sure is an odd wear pattern on the obv. Wonder what caused that?

I wonder about wear patterns sometimes. I guess in this case, the coin could have been hacked and scraped on the top obverse and then continued to circulate for several years. The resulting wear covering up the scraping. - Plausible I guess.

well it does show the distinctive weak strike in the center of the reverse..all real 1877's show that....but that has also been known to have been faked...there should be a die crack in the bottom of the date..but i think that this guy might be too far gone to see that...i would send it in to a grading service and see what they have to say..

My first feeling is that it's genuine based upon the top shapes of the 7's and, as mentioned, the characteristic weakness across the center of the reverse. It would probably grade only FR-2/AG-3 -- if it's really that cheap buy it and send it away.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived