CoinPeople.com

EBERBACH: Verdun Die Weltblutpumpe

VERDUN DIE WELTBLUTPUMPE, 1916, Cast Iron, 70mm. VZ RR

Satirical medal commemorating the Battle of Verdun,1916.

Many historians now argue that the main purpose of the German assault on the French fortress of Verdun (February-December 1916) was - in the words of the German general Falkenhayn - to 'bleed the enemy white'. Walter Eberbach captures the horrific losses during the battle, in which each side lost more than 300,000 men, in this macabre medal, entitled 'Verdun: die Weltblutpumpe' (literally 'Verdun: the world blood pump'), it depicts a skeleton (Death) pumping blood into the earth amid a bleak landscape.

DS177Verdun.jpg

Thank you for the compliment! :ninja: Yes, this is mine (I only show what is in my own collection). I have five others from this series of 11 that he made. I am hoping tomorrow that I'll be able to add five more, leaving me only looking for his "Der Tod versenkt ein britisches Schiff", Britannia Rule the Waves Thouch? which continues to elude me.

I was only able to secure one of the five I had bid on.... :ninja: Oh well, better than a kick in the head. I was able to pick up some more Goetz, Gies, and von Esseo pieces though and they should add delightfully to my macabre WWI collection... ;)

Thank you for the compliment!  :ninja:  Yes, this is mine (I only show what is in my own collection).  I have five others from this series of 11 that he made. 

There are 11 of these with the death skeleton theme? I think they are very interesting designs and have never seen that type of theme done before. You do, indeed, have some really cool stuff!

Yes, 11 that Eberbach did himself but many other artists, including Karl and Guido Goetz, used the skeleton a lot to personify death. The "Munich Schooler" medallist's of WWI used the skeleton extensively. I picked up a very rare von Esseo medal showing a skeleton head wearing a radiate crown with a snake coiled around the neck. I'll post it when it arrives from Britain. I have numerous other pieces that I can post in the mean time.

I picked up a very rare von Esseo medal showing a skeleton head wearing a radiate crown with a snake coiled around the neck.  I'll post it when it arrives from Britain.  I have numerous other pieces that I can post in the mean time.

Wow, I can't wait to see that one!

Sorry people, I guess there are 12 different designs made by Eberbach and not 11 as I stated earlier. Also, I have six, soon seven, of the twelve and not five as I stated earlier. I guess it helps to look at your collection once in a while. I'll get the other three imaged so you can see them. Also have some real obscure WWI pieces that are phantasmagorical I'll post...

Archived