CoinPeople.com

Fake 1870 Half Dollar

Guest Stujoe

From the other thread about coin banging. :ninja:

Do you have a pic of that Canadian half?

1870os.jpg

Larger Pic:

http://www.stujoe.com/images/1870/1870ol.jpg

1870rs.jpg

Larger Pic:

http://www.stujoe.com/images/1870/1870rl.jpg

To me, it doesn't look like or ring like silver and the design doesn't look like it is right to me either. Surfaces also look very odd as does the corrosion. It looks more like lead than silver but is not that soft.

If this was a US coin I was familiar with and it looked like this to me, I would say 100% fake. As it is, I always say 99%. ;)

If it is there, I sure can't see it or it is worn down so much as to be unrecognizable to me under 5 or 16 power. Granted, my study of fakes is extremely limited.

I am NOT an expert here, but that thing looks cast to me. The surfaces are just too strange.

The nut here, on uni's board; The coin should weigh 11.62 gm, composition .925 silver, .075 copper. It looks like a fake to me; Surefire bet is to drop it on a table or hard surface; If it doesn't have that hollow "chingy" sound, it's a fake; I also don't see "L.C.W." on the extreme bottom, right side of the queen's truncation(there are 2, 1 with, 1 without, without is the expensive one); If it was real, it list at $1100.00 Canadian in the 2006 Charlton catalogue; Looks like pot metal, but try the drop test, and if you're still not sure, take it to someone who has a digital scale (jeweller...)If you were here, I could weigh it for you. Interesting to find out.

Franz

• 4 months later...

The coin looks like a lead copy, made by casting (all the pock marks are evidence).There is some evidence of silvering being applied , still surviving around the edges. I have seen other 50 cents made in this style from Edward VII, George V, and a few George VI, up to and including 1947. I have seen quarters from every monarch from Victoria to Elizabeth II, with the latest date that I have seen being 1957. This one my mother received in change from a drug store. They don't look too bad when the silver is applied, but the surface gives them away. These were made for circulation, not to fool collectors. A half dollar would buy a meal for 2 back in the 1920's, so it was a fair amount of money.

The loonie was counterfeited about 1988 or 1989, some in Calgary, and some further East.

The US dollar coins (Susan B's) are being counterfeited for or in Ecuador, as they are used there.

There is a growing problem with counterfeit Euro coins, and in Malaysia, South Africa, and other countries. All of these are made just for circulation.

Archived