CoinPeople.com

Where do you................

coinmonster

all buy most of your coins? I only know of one shop in my area and ebay. I just found that 2nd hand shop on Saturday that has a few coins but he seems really high and stood over me watching me like a hawk.

What this place called "Littleton"? I got something from them in a bulk mailing package kind of thing a few days ago.

Any advice guys and Ladies??

The occasional coin show, a monthly market we have here in town, other collectors, a few forum dealers, an online dealer or two that I quite like, a local shop once in a while, and Ebay every now and again.

You just made me come to understand that I can not afford this hobby.

You can afford this hobby, I would recommend buying the book before the coin, and studying it. I did this with a Redbook, a Guide to United States Coins by RS Yeoman.

I would not recommend using anyone guide, ie eBay, online dealers etc as a baseline for pricing this hobby. There are many variables, and when you get a good sense and know more from your book knowledge you will feel more comfortable testing the waters.

Guest 50cents

I live on a fixed income and I don't buy everything I see. I save and buy the best coins for my money. I love coin collecting and anybody, any income, can have a great collection. Knowledge and having a PLAN are the two most important lessons that I have learn in my years in this great hobby.

Before CP: Ebay

After CP: Well........CP! I've found a ton of great deals on here.

Oh and you can afford this hobby. If a college student with no job can, anyone can.

You are very right, and I have been introduced to areas I had never considered collecting before, like Portugal, France, Italy, and Netherlands. All the faults of other collectors here on CP, and all very very nice choice coins at very affordable prices.

You just made me come to understand that I can not afford this hobby.

That is like walking into a Ferrari dealership at 16 years old and deciding you will never be able to afford a car. :ninja: There are tons of cool coins out there that will cost you less than a Vaue Meal at McDonalds.

There are tons of cool coins out there that will cost you less than a Value Meal at McDonalds.

Definately! I often spend lots of time digging around for cheap stuff, and there is stuff that's both affordable and nice! $20 a month can buy quite a bit.

Well i buy from several sources.

One coin fare that's held every 6 months.

About half a dozen dealers that i used to recieve lists through the post from (these days i deal with them through the internet).

Another half a dozen dealers that i've met on the internet

Then there the coin shop, two different coin stalls in an antiques centre. And then there's the dealers i've met at coin fairs.

There's the guys i've met on about half a dozen forums.

With me things come in sixes. The only thing i don't do is buy coins off of ebay.

I suggest you find a good reliable dealer and stick with them to start off with, as you learn more and more then broaden your buying horizons. Best to start small though with someone you can trust.

With me things come in sixes. The only thing i don't do is buy coins off of ebay.

I am starting to find that ebay is more of an online fleamarket than an actual venue for decent material. It is only occasionally that I find nice choice coins on there, most of the time I have to rely on VCoins.

I am starting to find that ebay is more of an online fleamarket than an actual venue for decent material.  It is only occasionally that I find nice choice coins on there, most of the time I have to rely on VCoins.

Me and my american friend have been buying raw coins on ebay

He can photograde and I can speak 4 languages

We have bought from Italy, Spain,France, Germany,UK and of course US

He has had all his buys slabbed MS64 to MS 67

Of course for every MS64 there are about 100 dogs

www.coastcoin.com these people have been really good to me so far.really nice people

The prices are really good too.

For me Coinpeople are the majority now.

There are 2-3 online dealers I frequent. Coast Coin being the biggest.

Now Ebay is a very rare occasion.

The prices are really good too. 

For me Coinpeople are the majority now.

One of my favourite coins:

portugal.jpg

Came from Portugal of course, from josemartins.

I always liked this piece, and one time I mentioned it on a discussion on here, and awhile later one pops up in the mail, out of the blue:)

Primarily eBay. Unlike many of the others here much of what I collect can only be found after hunting through thousands (literally)of listings. I regularly find little gems, though my criteria is seldom grade. I like a high grade coin or medal as much as the next but many of them are just not available in high grade. As a result lower grade material often sells for nothing, sort of like if US collectors had no idea that 1790s coins of virtually any condition are collectible.

After that there are about 3 local coin dealers and of course the Long Beach show two or three times a year. Also my local coin club has a show once a year and I try to pick up *something* just to show support... :ninja:

Archived