CoinPeople.com

Coin Pictures

Guest Stujoe

I have moved my photo taking equipment back upstairs with the intent of photo-ing more coins.

Here are a couple of test shots of a dupe Walker I had laying around in a 2x2.

whso.jpg

whsr.jpg

Links to Super Huge Pics:

http://www.stujoe.com/pictest/whlo.jpg

http://www.stujoe.com/pictest/whlr.jpg

Comments? Critiques? I am starting on circ silver as it is one of the easiest things for me to shoot. As I tweak and improve I will post some different coins.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that is reflection of the light source off the 2x2. as I don't see anything on the coin or holder in hand. It is tough getting all the light to not replect when the coin is in a holder. I always have trouble with that!

Nice shots. What kind of camera are you using and how is it set up?

Are you laying the coin flat and taking the picture from above, or is the coin leaned up against something?

I have a Nikon 4300. The coin (in these pictures it is in a 2x2) is being shot head on with the camera mounted on a stand pointing directly down at it. I have 3 lights (1 - 60 watt incandescent and 2 - 20 Watt halogens) which I turn on and off or position as needed.

The camera is set up in a macro mode with manual white balance but everything else automatic.

I bet having the three lights helps. I've been taking shots using a single light and I think the shadows are way too harsh....

It does give you more options. A lot of times I just use 2 but the third one comes in handy every once in a while. I think it is helpful to have 2 different wattages too. Natural light is often good too but I don't always have that option.

wqso.jpg

Unc, silver Washington shot through mylar/cardboard 2x2. Wish I could figure out a way to get rid of the hot spots and still make it look lifelike and show lustre.

For anyone who is interested, this is my setup. The metal bar going up with the holes in it is where I mount my camera facing straight down.

setup.jpg

Looks like my black lamp needs a dusting. :ninja:

Archived