CoinPeople.com

CoinPeople Dollars Design

MisterMcDoo

Please view these specs. Which design should the CP Dollars be based on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Please view these specs. Which design should the CP Dollars be based on?

• Design 1. http://tinypic.com/5zmiyg
    • Design 2. [img]http://coinpeople.com/uploads/1118849473/gallery_74_26_11740.jpg[/img][img]http://coinpeople.com/uploads/1118849473/gallery_74_26_16865.jpg[/img]
    • Design 3. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Emperor_Oli/5dollars.jpg[/img]
    • Design 4. [img]http://coinpeople.com/uploads/1118849473/gallery_14_2_27911.jpg[/img]

On the other hand, it's probably illegal to print out pictures of Kermit the Frog and sell them for $5.00 each.

Gosh, I misread the thread for a minute and thought you were offering Kermit pictures for $5.00. :ninja:

;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, it's probably illegal to print out pictures of Kermit the Frog and sell them for $5.00 each.

Which in turn means it's also illegal to sell the old coin people notes as collectors items to the members on the forum in say 10 years time.

What would happen if say a member got hold of one and sent it to a friend who then decided to sell it on ebay as a novelty piece?

One of the big rules with CP Dollars should be:

In no way is a CP Dollar related to a real dollar, or a real anything. If a CP Dollar becomes desirable it can be purchased for more CP Dollars.

And I don't think these will ever be sold on Ebay as a "novelty". It's just something that won't happen.

Guest Stujoe
I don't see any copyright "issues" at all. That would only come up if we were looking to make profit with CP Dollars, which we certainly are not.

I am not so sure that is correct. There is a concept of "Fair Use' but I do not think these notes would fall into that as they would be promotional items at teh very least.

You can probably print out a photo of Shrek and share with your friends but if you are using an image of Shrek to promote something (like a website), you are probably in trouble.

Guest Stujoe
Anyways, it looks as though Oli's designs are going to be the ones.

We need a logo. ;)

Do we need a logo design contest? I have an MT Thaler (and some Churchills :ninja:) laying around as well as probably some other stuff if we want some incentives.

I am not so sure that is correct. There is a concept of "Fair Use' but I do not think these notes would fall into that as they would be promotional items at teh very least.

You can probably print out a photo of Shrek and share with your friends but if you are using an image of Shrek to promote something (like a website), you are probably in trouble.

I'm not being awkward for the sake of it here McDoo, but i agree with Stujoe. You might wonder why i seem to be trying to put the brakes on here. But i have watched members of an entire coin community have legal action taken against them. Some indeed might have said or done things which would leave themselves open. Others well, we're still not entirely sure what they did to get on the list but on it they got for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And McDoo never underestimate what turns up on ebay, i've seen people selling prosthetic testicles and glass eyes. (Which was quite a joke on this forum at one point), and i've even seen promotional material being sold on ebay... stuff that you'd never expect to turn up in a million years. You simply cannot be too careful.

Well that's my position on the topic. If you want to go ahead and use the Shrek theme then i hope you're successful, but i want to be left well out of it. I've got enough stuff on at the moment without walking into a copyright dispute.

Seems a new can of worms has been opened. I just used Shrek for illustrative purposes: anything could go there. If there's even a hint of a copyright dispute, I wouldn't be comfortable putting my name to it. The one below is the "base" note to which whatever can be added - a logo, coin, map, whatever.

Edit: Seems the outline is still there. One moment....

Edit 2: Ok, here we are

6b111a7b.jpg

The map got me thinking. Since we have such a diverse membership (different nationalities), wouldn't it be good to replace Shrek with the flags of different countries. So we could have the stars and stripes as the highest denomination, then whatever the next biggest nationality is as the next one etc etc. I'll get working on that.

stars.jpg

unionjack.jpg

They were whipped up in a few minutes. I'd like to replace my entry for design 3 with one involving flags. If this is unacceptable, I'll defer to BiggAndyy. I guess McDoo has the final say on this. I'd rather offload whatever design on someone else, as I'm rather busy at the moment.

stars.jpg

unionjack.jpg

They were whipped up in a few minutes.  I'd like to replace my entry for design 3 with one involving flags.  If this is unacceptable, I'll defer to BiggAndyy.  I guess McDoo has the final say on this.  I'd rather offload whatever design on someone else, as I'm rather busy at the moment.

I love these. Wonderful design and idea.

:ninja:

I love these. Wonderful design and idea.

;)

;)

I agree with Art. Fantastic, i loved the design before with Shrek on, but was inclined against because of the copyright. But now there is no copyright issue so i heartly back this one, 100% as the best of the lot.

If McDoo doesn't want it, then i do! :ninja:

What software did you use for these? Could you send me editable source files?

Oli was kind enough to send me some preliminary examples of these notes denominated in Ducats rather than Dollars.

Ducat feels far more international that say Dollar. I feel a denomination change would be a good move, makes the forum feel more inclusive.

Oli was kind enough to send me some preliminary examples of these notes denominated in Ducats rather than Dollars.

Ducat feels far more international that say Dollar. I feel a denomination change would be a good move, makes the forum feel more inclusive.

I'll post them here if anyone wants to see them.

Guest Stujoe

If you want to be 'inclusive', you might want to make up a currency name like what was done with the RCC coins. Any real denomination, past or present, will not be more or less inclusive than any other. Just my 2 prinnetos...

If you want to be 'inclusive', you might want to make up a currency name like what was done with the RCC coins. Any real denomination, past or present, will not be more or less inclusive than any other. Just my 2 prinnetos...

I suggest 'Peeps' as in Coin Peeps.

I really don’t like any of the notes with people’s names, but I do like the flag idea! However, we need something that represents all of us and all the countries – we are international.