CoinPeople.com

Type set collectors

Dan769

Are you looking for examples for your sets in slabs or raw?

I look at both, but almost all my coins in the type set have been purchased raw. I still haven't gotten around to cracking out my early bust half from it's slab. Maybe today I'll free her...

Are you looking for examples for your sets in slabs or raw?

I will look at both but if I find any in slabs, they will get cracked out. I am about 99% certain that all of mine have been bought raw so far.

My entire type set is slabbed for two very practical reasons. The most important reason is that I am not an expert on all types, and feel that I would be at a distinct disadvantage in purchasing raw coins where I don't have enough knowledge of the series, grading, and authentication. For series I collect, like Saints, or Bust Halves, I have no problem purchasing raw coins, but early copper or seated stuff? Forget it! The second very practical reason is so I can display me set in a registry program and share the coins with others. I have a very nice raw set of Roosevelt dimes, but you have to come to my house to see them. This way I can share my type sets with all of you just like this: My Non-Gold US Type Set and My Gold US Type Set.

If I was buying coins that were in a different price range than I do now, I think I would want that extra level of confidence in what I was buying too especially if we are talking MS coins or key dates. There's big difference between buying a coin that is worth the price of a tank of gas and buying one that is worth the price of a car. :ninja: At least for me there is.

I am not an anti-slabber, I just don't buy much that 'needs' to be in a slab and when I get one, it doesn't 'need' to stay in the slab.

I hear you Stu, and there are as many ways to collect types as there are type set collectors! I know some are collecting holed type coins, others BU, other just nice circulated grades and still others whatever they can afford at the time! I've thought about getting a Dansco type set album and doing a nice circulated set, but I just haven't had the time. Someday I will probably get one and then start looking for those nice raw circulated type coins to fill those holes! :ninja:

All of mine were raw. I sold the whole set a while back, and am going to start again. I'd love to have the money to get it all slabbed, but I'll probably get most raw again.

My type set was raw for many years and, yes, I was guilty of cracking many a slab in my day. But things changed and as my set evolved to include the pricier issues, it became pretty much necessary to include slabbed specimens. At that point, for consistency's sake, I decided to go all slab. I guess it all depends on your collecting goals but having my set slabbed allows me to sell coins quickly for top $$ when I upgrade a particular slot.

• 2 months later...

I choose only PCGS or NGC slabbed coins for several reasons:

1. I have decided to put only MS coins in my set, and certification means that I can be a bit more relaxed about knowing the difference between a MS63 or MS64.

2. They give me more confidence that the eventual selling price will be greater in relation to my purchase price than would be the case for raw coins.

3. They are generally more liquid (easier to sell).

4. Because of #2 and #3, they may ease the stress of liquidation and flatten the learning curve for my heirs.

5. They are much easier to handle and inspect without concern of damage. This is especially true for me since I have essential tremor in my hands.

• 2 years later...

Archived