CoinPeople.com

2x2's

SquirrelNuts

I have seen some nicely created 2x2's and some poorly created 2x2's. The biggest problem I have seen is that the coins may shift easily. Does anyone have a pattern they staple 2x2's in to prevent this from happening? Also, does anyone have a good labeling system for writing on the front of them, such as where you mark the year/mint, denomination, country, condition, price, etc?

-Robert

I staple mine at the 4 corners and closer to the inside than the outside. That leaves an open space at the bottom for me to write Date and Mint Mark (1911 D or whatever) with an ultra fine tip sharpie permanent marker. I don't notice much slipping but I put mine mostly in 3 ring binder pages which probably adds to the non-slipping aspect.

I've only had a problem with coins slipping in some older 2x2's. When that happens I simply take them out and put them in a new 2x2. I like to staple mine more toward the center but not too close as to distract the eye from the coin. Leaves pleanty of room to write quite a bit. My dates for the coins go in the upper right hand corner. I like everything to look the same.

I don't staple at all, I use self-adhesive ones.

And I like to keep 'm clean, no writing at all on it. The date is aready on the coin......

Do you have the ones with the little tab on top with a crown embossed in it? Tiffybunny gets those, and when I get coins from her they are all in those, I like them since you don't have to use staples and the tab makes a convenient means of removing it from the pages in my album.

I would like to find some of these. I have actually damaged coins using the staple 2x2's.

Do you have the ones with the little tab on top with a crown embossed in it?  Tiffybunny gets those, and when I get coins from her they are all in those, I like them since you don't have to use staples and the tab makes a convenient means of removing it from the pages in my album.

I would like to find some of these.  I have actually damaged coins using the staple 2x2's.

Yup, that's the ones. I have those and also another brand which are almost identical, yet lower in price.

uhm, I dunno for you, as I live in a different continent.

Overhere, in The Netherlands, they're sold under the brand name "Importa"

I know they go by a different brandname in the USA, but I can't remember that name right now.

If you can wait another week, I bet Tiffibunny willl tell you, as she gets them a lot.

The other brand I use a lot is "Hartberger"

Do you have the ones with the little tab on top with a crown embossed in it? 

I never realized they had a crown on them before! :ninja: They are rather nice 2x2's. They seem to seal up much better than the self seal 2x2's that I tried and then abandonded.

The other brand I use a lot is "Hartberger"

That is the brand that I use. I use them only for AU/Unc coins that I know I will not find better examples of, or than lower grade scarce coins. For coins that I may find better samples of, I use stapled 2x2's as they are cheaper and I can change the coin.

Large bodies of water do tend to cause differences in the availability and marketing of products...you never see a LADA driving around in the US.

-Robert

You do not see Ladas (with perhaps the occasional exception of new models) much in Finland anymore either. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Russians came here and bought up most of the used Ladas that existed. It was their best access to spare parts!

Sir Sisu: ;)

Finns didn't mind selling the Ladas back to the Russians at dirt cheap price just to get rid of them, right? ;)

While far from being luxery goods, the Ladas here at least had great reliability. One of their nicknames here was Siperian Mersu (Siberian Mercedes). As a teen, my wife had one that I drove often. No matter how cold the morning, I would pull out the choke lever and it would always start. Of course it was like drining in a tin can and everything was "backwards" (like the direction to roll down the window for example to say nothing of looking under the hood :ninja: ).

But you are correct, the Finns had no problems sellling them. :lol: However, these days when you see a Russian plate here, the car is more likely to be some super decked out Mercedes, Beemer, Land Rover, etc.

• 1 month later...

Stujoe revives a dead thread... :ninja:

After going through my binders today, I realize that I have evolved in my 2x2 stapling. I apparently used to be a 3 sides kind of guy. Then, for a short period, I was just a 2 sides guy. Now I have settled into the 4 corners.

Archived