CoinPeople.com

50 States Quarter

USAFANG

How many of you are collecting the 50 State Quarters?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you are collecting the 50 State Quarters?

• YES
    • NO
    • ONLY MINT OR PROOF SETS

i think most of these are pretty ugly.

i think that pretty much any coin proposal that squeezes out of congress exists primarily to generate seigniorage (sp?). senator dianne feinstein told me as much in a recent letter (in response to a letter where i asked her to withdraw her support from the upcoming presidential coins).

I have the proof sets (which I would buy even without the quarters). I also have an album I fill just for fun. Other than that I do have all the Texas quarters/items, that is the only one I collect "on purpose".

I do think the 50 state quarters is a great concept.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Not all pilots are alcoholics, We don't go to meetings

How could I pass them up. I like most of the designs and they attract tons of new collectors to the hobby. Have to collect them just to know what's going on with the program and have items to trade.

I collect them too. My intention is to collect all coins from each country I've visited. So for the US that includes the Statehood quarters.

I like the concept although it's not new, Canada did it already in 1992.

Since I can't find these in change, I have to look for other sources and certain members of CoinPeople have been very good sources for me ;):ninja:

To be honest i'd forgot they existed until i saw this thread.

I'm not one to keep up with the newest releases of any country, generally because it's so bewildering and so hectic and things are changing all the time with new issues. I think it's got to the point where it's impossible to keep up with everything these days because the mints have become so collector orientated. So people probably enjoy the challenge, i find it too much of a muchness. So don't ask me about modern coins, even ones from the UK because i'll not be able to answer you.

If anyone wants me i'm secluding myself in the twelfth century.

I collect them too, though not proactively. I think I once posted a "want to trade" post in the old CP to specifically keep up with the new circulation coins each year. Unfortunately that site crashed, I have a 3rd child, and work keeps me busy busy busy. Fortunately I have received some as prizes and bonuses from generous people here.

I need to make a trip out to the States so I can fill in most of what I am missing.

Personally, one roll P, one roll D, one P mint example for a cheap folder, and a clad-proof set each year. On the other hand, I'm essentially filling about 60 different albums and maps for different folks around the country, including 8 for my kids, 5 for my mechanic, the rest to grandmas saving them for their grandkids.

Jerry

I'm collecting a near-uncirulated example of each just as I would collect an example of any other circulation coin that gets produced during my lifetime. Considering all the time I spend (or waste, if you ask my wife) collecting other coins, it seems hard to imagine not keeping examples of the ones that fall into my lap on a daily basis when I'm on my trips back to the USA.

For quite a while I the only state quarters I collected were those from pocket change into my Harris folders.

Then I took a harder look at the Air-Tite albums made up specifically for state quarters

http://www.air-tites.com/ATQuarterAlbum.htm

and I decided to add a State Quarters collection to my other collections. I'm buying Uncirculated coins in Direct Fit Air-Tites for this collection, about $6 for five (one year), including the Air-Tite.

I think the silver proofs would be much more spectacular in these particular albums, but I decided I didn't want to put that much money into a state quarters collection.

I purchase the mint and proof sets each year, rolls when they come out, sets of certified PF-69 and PF-70's of each year, and other "oddities" like the 2001 set I have with each case signed by the designers for that year. I love the state quarter program!!

:ninja:

This is how I see it (and you may not agree) If you are collecting them because it is fun and you like the coins that's exelent!! That's what the hobby is about. I have people calling me that want to invest in the state qarter rolls....INVEST?? ARE YOU CRAZY?? If you are going to invest in anything in the state quarter program it had better be very short term and should prob. be proof sets. I have been watching the market on this stuff....it is being inflated by a few people with too much money and a lot of time. If you know anything about economics any market that is inflated is bound to regulate itself over time. I don't want to be the guy that pays $20-$40 a roll for hundreds and hundreds of rolls when the market poops out and these people quit regulating the market and they are worth say $11 a roll. It's a nice program and it sure has spiced up our pocket change.....but to me it IS pocket change....

All real coins start out as pocket change.

Doesn't mean i disagree with you though, i just thought i should drop that in there.

There is a few fundamental differences though between pocket change today and that of one hundred years ago.

Firstly mintage figures have soared to dizzying heights (and presumably they'll just keep going up).

Secondly in modern times since societies have pulled themselves further above the subsitance level and the Western world has grown in wealth going through all layers of society, to different degrees it means people now have money to spend on leisure activities. E.G collecting. How many regular people could afford to take money out of their pay packet for non-essentials in the 1910s?

Thirdly there has been an increase in the awareness that new things now, might be worth something when they get older.

Fourthly modern coinage is made from non-precious metals, which has lead to an increase in inflation and a decrease in buying power in monetary terms.

Those four things mean modern pocket change will never be as rare or collectable as coinage from the turn of the 20th century. More will be available, no point melting it if the metal it's coined in is not worth much to start with. People will put coins on one side thinking they'll be worth something in future, they can do this now because money has gone down in buying power terms and wealth has generally gone up.

So if you are thinking of investing in State Quarters... well that's just something to be aware of.

your statement about pocket change is true....but sometimes I get the feeling from people that they don't understand that.....the state quarter program was started to make money (and that's not a pun) it cost the mint almost nothing to make the quarters...they then sell the quarters to the banks at face value...if they come out with a collectable design or designs that people are going to hang on to they will need to make more to be used in circulation since everyone is collecting them and there are none circulating therefore making the mint more money. The US mint is the largest coin dealer in the world.

i,m now starting to collecting state quarters,i have various virginia ,rhode island,maryland...

i have a question the rolls of quarters of bank have only coins uncirculated?

or only mint rolls have coins uncirculated?

thanks

You can get uncirculated rolls from banks often when the design first comes out. If it is a solid roll of one date and mint mark, odds are it is a new roll. If it is mixed, obviously not a new roll although it may have some uncirculated coins in it.

Archived