CoinPeople.com

Are coin collectors too grumpy?

jlueke

Do Numismatic Letter Writers Complain Too Much?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do Numismatic Letter Writers Complain Too Much?

• Yes, letters in numismatic periodicals are too negative.
    • No, letters in coin periodicals are negative but no more so than collectors in general
    • No, we are a happy bunch.

After reading the Internet Connections column in the September Numismatist I paged through the letters. The one that struck me the most was a rant against the state quarter collectors. It was not just the typical arguments, but also the vehemence that came through in the letter. I am not one to spend $2000 from an MS70 Minnesota quarter but I'm not going to go ballistic over it either. In general, when I do write a letter I try to find something to praise. If I'm going to spend my time it might as well be positive and not negative. Right? Right?!?

So, are letter writers to coin magazines, or coin collectors in general too negative?

I'm grumpy, but it sure as heck ain't because of coin collecting :ninja:

The collectors I have known are not particularly grumpy. I see some of it in the letters section of Coin World but I also see a lot of ignorance there too.

Then the ignorance makes the experienced collectors grumpy

:ninja:

That is true. :ninja: I skip a lot of the rants about the mint, high prices, the grading services, etc that seem to show up so often.

Me too, most of the letters are repeats (I think Michael wrote about that once) but this one did stand out.

I'm grumpy, but it sure as heck ain't because of coin collecting  :ninja:

Coin collecting doesn't do it for me either, though sometimes internet posts do (not here)

Grumpy is a good thing. It's been said that when you reach a certain age there are only two directions you can go - grumpy or six feet under. I opt for grumpy.

Grumpy is a good thing. It's been said that when you reach a certain age there are only two directions you can go - grumpy or six feet under. I opt for grumpy.

:ninja:

I disagree, unless you are specificaly talking about collectors... That I could understand :ninja:

-Bobby

Grumpy is good. He was the only dwarf with common sense... My grandchildren call me Papa Grumpy. :ninja:

I would have to agree that ignorance is what annoys me; persistent ignorance makes me grumpy. For instance, I put up info about French restrikes of Napoleonic medals and their relative lack of value. But people still regularly spend $100+ for something you could buy from the Paris mint today for $60. Now, when I have the conversation with these folks and then a week later they're spending $200+ (I'm not kidding) for another restrike that's just trying to get me angry (I wrote something else but figured I'd better clean that up).

I'd leave them to their ignorance but they're driving the price of real medals through the roof! sigh... nah, I'm not grumpy...

Archived