• C - My (or my significate other's) Personal Armory
    • D - All of the above
    • E - Safe? Who needs it?
    • F - A & B
    • G - A & C
    • H - B & C
    • I - Other
    • J - None of your beeswax!

Up until Friday night I had no "safety net" in which to store my coins from thievery. Patrick came home with a big fireproof safe Friday night and two guys to help him bring it up the stairs. My answer would actually be D - All of the above. We now have a safe, I have the use of my Mother's Safe Deposit Box and well C because Patrick is a gun nut.

You know, back home, having a safe is just telling the robbers:

"PLEASE ROB ME!!!!!! I HAVE A LOT OF VALUABLES IN HERE!!!!"

And geez, to them, having some massive safe at home is not a problem to them. I guess they are some Olympics Gold medal heavyweight lifters or something...

I heard several such sad stories of how some unknown number of robbers that took an entire safe away. Unbelievable but it happens.

So you know, I keep mine all over the place (oops, now I gave a hint to the robbers where I keep mine :X )

Guest Stujoe
You know, back home, having a safe is just telling the robbers:

"PLEASE ROB ME!!!!!! I HAVE A LOT OF VALUABLES IN HERE!!!!"

;)

Hmmmm, maybe we should make up some tips on Safe Safety.

#1. If it can be seen from the front window....BAD!

:ninja:

Guest Stujoe
See that's where the Personal Armory comes in....

So you put the safe in view of the window and then pick the thieves off as they come in? And I thought the cleaver was bad! :ninja:

It is a good point, though, that safes are not as safe as they may sometimes seem. Big, heavy, and bolted to the floor helps, though. Nothing is foolproof but you want to make it difficult and not worth the effort if you can. That way, they go rob your neighbors instead. ;)

Nope that doesn't really help - I heard stories of that too.

If you would like to know, I have heard stories of a safe weighting around half a ton kilograms, that is probably over 1.1ton lbs being stolen too...

So you know, having those cheap safes wouldn't necessary help, I think you might need some Swiss patented kiloton ™ bolt safes...

Guest Stujoe
I spread stuff out over a wide area... hell i can't even find half of it.

:ninja: Now there is a way that Tiff doesn't have listed. I also perforn the scattering method of securing my coins. If I can't find them, a thief can't either. ;)

Safes now scare me. I used to think they were a good idea until I lived in TX. The part of TX where I lived every house had a gun safe and a valuables safe, most were hidden in rooms within the houses called "gun rooms". They're very difficult to find unless you know exactly where they are.

It became common for the thieves to wait for the homeowners to come to the house when they couldn't find, or couldn't open the safes. Not my idea of fun. I used to post the combination to my safe on the door with a notation that it contained only tax records and a plea that they leave them as is for me.

I always felt that I should have my gun with me. Far more useful than in a safe or in the house for the burglar to find.

Safe deposit boxes, climate-controlled, are now my favorite way to go. Since all I have left is three boxes of Indian Head Cents and a box of Large Cents, they fit in the smallest safety deposit box with ease.

I sleep with my coins and keep a 9 mm under the pillow :ninja:

I keep mine out of mind and out of sight. ;)  Oh darn, where did I put those coins again :ninja:

Are you sure you're not related to me? ;) You've got my method down to perfection!

Big fireproof gun safe for me. Surrounded by motion detectors as well. And yes, a .45 works well too.

Archived