CoinPeople.com

WWC auction

bobh

Does anyone know some results yet? :ninja: I am interested in the following lots:

334 - 1756 Baroque kopeck

340 - 1793-EM five kopecks (Paul' s overstriking)

341 - 2 kopecks, 1797-AM (narrow monogram)

343 - 1804 5 kopecks, 2nd type eagle

352 - 1831 rouble, overdate 1831/0

383 - 50 kopecks 1900 (ФЗ)

Thanks! ;)

Thanks for information.

Then maybe someone could post a picture of "lot 383 - 50 kopecks 1900 (ФЗ) $1300" ?

Scanned from my copy of the printed catalogue:

elmen_1900-FZ.jpg

:ninja:

The winning bidder of lot 383 (50 kopeck 1900, $1300) took the risk. The coin was listed as 'Brilliant Unc with minor contact marks'. If this is precisely so, the coin can be graded as MS-something and it will be worth the money (give or take a couple hundreds). The catalogue image does not really let you to decide for sure. It may be exactly what the description says or it may be a bit worse.

The winning bidder of lot 383 (50 kopeck 1900, $1300) took the risk. The coin was listed as 'Brilliant Unc with minor contact marks'. If this is precisely so, the coin can be graded as MS-something and it will be worth the money (give or take a couple hundreds). The catalogue image does not really let you to decide for sure. It may be exactly what the description says or it may be a bit worse.

There was a 1900 poltina sold in the NGSA auction in 2008 which was slabbed by NGC as MS-64. It went for $2800, I think. But 1900 is not a rare year! For example, 1911 is much more scarce and recently a very nice one (slabbed PCGS MS-64) went for much less: LINK: eBay item 270482469660 (maybe this is why: Other item info ... Item location: New York, United States ... Ships to: United States ... ???).

I am having difficulties seeing any logic in these prices. :ninja: To be honest, I bid $1,000 on this coin and totally expected to win it for less. A similar thing happened not too long ago in a UBS auction with a 25 kopeck 1896: I wanted the coin, bid high (also $1,000) and was overbid. There are people out there who just don't care about the money and buy whatever pleases them. When they get tired of it, they will probably just throw it away or something. I don't think that these are people who care about numismatics or collecting, but who merely want to brag about how much money they can (and do) spend.

Any PR for the other lots?

334 - 1756 Baroque kopeck

352 - 1831/0 rouble (overdate)

If it has any marks worth mentioning, it probably won't grade higher than MS-64 on the 70 point system. "Brilliant Unc" could be only MS-60-62; "Choice BU" would be MS-63/64; "Gem BU" MS-65 and up. But people usually pay quite large premiums for the extra point between MS-64 and MS-65.

Mr. Elmen never sells slabbed coins, or at least I have never seen any in his catalogs. I would say that his buyers either trust his grading or make the effort to view the lots in person. The 1909 ten rouble gold coin I won last year from his auction was listed as "pleasing EF", but I think most people would have called it AU.

334 – $375

352 – $700

RWJ

Thanks, Bob! ;)

Looks like I can finally lay claim to a nice Baroque kopeck! :ninja: Very good "consolation prize" after losing the poltina, I must say!

There was a 1900 poltina sold in the NGSA auction in 2008 which was slabbed by NGC as MS-64. It went for $2800, I think. But 1900 is not a rare year! For example, 1911 is much more scarce and recently a very nice one (slabbed PCGS MS-64) went for much less: LINK: eBay item 270482469660 (maybe this is why: Other item info ... Item location: New York, United States ... Ships to: United States ... ???).

I am having difficulties seeing any logic in these prices. :ninja: To be honest, I bid $1,000 on this coin and totally expected to win it for less.

It depends on how you judge the rarity of the year.

If you notice only know circulation figure (1900 being 3 Mil. +; while 1911 just 1.1 Mil) taken from Uzdenikov or Bitkin catalogue - it is one thing.

If you take into consideration actual scarcity on the market - it's quite another thing.

50 kopeks 1911 is quite easy to find in AU-MS condition; average market (from dealer or auction) price for MS ranges in between $250-$400 (without slab) to $500-$600 (in MS slab); and they appear quite often (I found at least 15 coins in AU-MS condition sold in past 2-3 years in Russian and Western auctions in my database).

While 50 kopeks 1900 emerged only twice over past 2-3 years: in NGSA which you mentioned, and in current WWC.

Also one coin in AU-UNC condition was offered at Russian "Molotok" internet auction (analog of ebay) about 1 year ago at fixed price of around $1,700 - and that's all.

And even in XF, by the way, 50 kopeks 1900 is actually much scarcer than 1911.

In lower (F/VF) condition maybe 1900 is more common... or maybe same.

I think, it is because despite their smaller circulation figure, poltinniks of 1911 actually circulated for much shorter period, i.e. for just 3 years till WWI (when common people started to keep silver coins instead spending them, even causing shortage of change in circulation) and thus more higher grade coins "survived"; while poltinniks of 1900 circulated for 14 years.

By the way, more recent Kazakov's catalogue of Nicholas II coins also rates poltinnik 1900 higher than 1911.

It depends on how you judge the rarity of the year.

If you notice only know circulation figure (1900 being 3 Mil. +; while 1911 just 1.1 Mil) taken from Uzdenikov or Bitkin catalogue - it is one thing.

If you take into consideration actual scarcity on the market - it's quite another thing.

50 kopeks 1911 is quite easy to find in AU-MS condition; average market (from dealer or auction) price for MS ranges in between $250-$400 (without slab) to $500-$600 (in MS slab); and they appear quite often (I found at least 15 coins in AU-MS condition sold in past 2-3 years in Russian and Western auctions in my database).

While 50 kopeks 1900 emerged only twice over past 2-3 years: in NGSA which you mentioned, and in current WWC.

Also one coin in AU-UNC condition was offered at Russian "Molotok" internet auction (analog of ebay) about 1 year ago at fixed price of around $1,700 - and that's all.

And even in XF, by the way, 50 kopeks 1900 is actually much scarcer than 1911.

In lower (F/VF) condition maybe 1900 is more common... or maybe same.

I think, it is because despite their smaller circulation figure, poltinniks of 1911 actually circulated for much shorter period, i.e. for just 3 years till WWI (when common people started to keep silver coins instead spending them, even causing shortage of change in circulation) and thus more higher grade coins "survived"; while poltinniks of 1900 circulated for 14 years.

By the way, more recent Kazakov's catalogue of Nicholas II coins also rates poltinnik 1900 higher than 1911.

Thanks for this explanation, Candidate ... it makes sense. I also have the Kazakov catalogue, but didn't compare this yet. Since I have had a 1900 in VF for several years now which was easy to find, I assumed it must be more common!

Archived