CoinPeople.com

bobh was at it again!

bobh

Where's the buff??

It is a little further up in this same thread:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/11376-bobh-was-at-it-again/page__view__findpost__p__517947

Love that seated dime! Thanks for posting. That first ancient doesn't strike me as a bobh coin.

Thanks ... I got interested in the Bar Kochba series some time ago. Then I had an opportunity to buy a nice small bronze some time back, and now wanted to get a silver zuz. The larger tetradrachmas are quite pricey, so I will probably have to leave it at that.

Thanks for looking! :art:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely beautiful coins Bob. The 84 IHC has terrific woodgraining. The 23 Buffalo is superb. I've considered one of those magnifiers for my D3100 but haven't found much in a positive vain about them. Is your's the Nikon device or an OEM?

Thanks, Art ... it is the Nikon device. It fits on most Nikons; my camera is a D60 with a macro lens. The catalog number and description for the part is "Eyepiece Magnifier DG-2".

The magnifier does me a lot of good because I am pretty near-sighted, and you can adjust it to your own dioptry. Auto-focus just isn't good enough sometimes. I will usually take two or three pictures of the same coin and lighting setup, but refocus manually in between. Then there is usually at least one shot which is really in good focus that I can use. It might not help other people as much, and the magnification isn't all that large (only 2x) but it does give you more detail to focus on. It's pretty expensive for what it does, IMHO, but I use it all the time now for taking close-ups.

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I was able to add to this thread. Now it looks like this is coming my way from Leipzig (auction 74, Leipziger Münzhandlung):

1864 2 cents, small motto:

Lot_1212_USA_2c_1864-SM.jpg

Listed on the PCGS price guide at $350 in F-12 and $750 in EF-40, I think I got a good deal at 200€ here! :bhyper:

• 4 months later...

Here are some recent Russian acquisitions of mine. These first four are from the most recent Hess-Divo auction back in May this year; the two modern commemorative coins were a chance find at a local dealer here in Zurich.

7-1/2 roubles, 1897 - wide rim variety:

RUSSIA_7_5_Roubles_1897_wide_rim_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_7_5_Roubles_1897_wide_rim_edge_001.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_7_5_Roubles_1897_wide_rim_rev.thumb.jpg

5 roubles, 1910-ЭБ:

RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1910_EB_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1910_EB_edge_001.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1910_EB_rev.thumb.jpg

25 kopecks, 1859 (variety St. George with cape):

RUSSIA_25_Kopecks_1859_St_George_with_cape_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_25_Kopecks_1859_St_George_with_cape_rev.thumb.jpg

20 kopecks, 1889:

RUSSIA_20_Kopecks_1889_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_20_Kopecks_1889_rev.thumb.jpg

Not in great shape, but a rare type. I already posted pictures from the auction right after I won it; now, several months later, I finally had time to take my own photos of it.

USA 2 Cents, 1864-SM (small motto):

USA_2_Cents_1864_SM_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_2_Cents_1864_SM_rev.thumb.jpg

Here's a nice Barber dime I recently acquired:

USA Barber dime, 1899:

USA_Barber_Dime_1899_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Barber_Dime_1899_rev.thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Haven't really kept up my acquisitions in this thread for the last few years, although my coin gallery page is pretty much up to date. But I just won four coins in a German internet auction, and I got such a good deal that I wanted to share it with you.

The 1937 Buffalo nickel was advertised as being in an ANACS holder; when I received the coins, it turned out to be in an old green PCGS rattler! Fortunately, the coins look a lot better in hand than the pictures. I've been participating in this company's internet auctions on several different occasions and have never been disappointed yet (WAG online, https://www.wago-auktionen.de/).

Here is the latest story:

-----------+---------+----------+-------------+-------------------
Coin:      | Grade:  | Slab:    | PCGS price: | I paid (in Euros):
IHC 1859   | AU/Unc  | --       | $260 (+)    | €  54
IHC 1875   | MS63BN  | PCGS     | $300        | € 120
Buf 1937   | MS66    | PCGS old | $80-$100    | €  40
Buf 1937-S | MS66    | ANACS    | $110        | €  36
Total:                                          € 250
Buyer fee (15%), shipping and PayPal:           €  44
Grand total:                                    € 299
Paid in US-$:                                   $ 321
PCGS prices total:                              $ 750-770 (!)

Grading to me was accurate. Not too bad, eh?? :manana:

Pics (from the auction; haven't had time to make my own yet):

IHC_1859_Lot_448_vs.thumb.jpgIHC_1859_Lot_448_rs.thumb.jpg

IHC_1875_Lot_449_vs.thumb.jpgIHC_1875_Lot_449_rs.thumb.jpg

Buffalo_Nickel_1937_Lot_460_vs.thumb.jpgBuffalo_Nickel_1937_Lot_460_rs.thumb.jpg

Buffalo_Nickel_1937_S_Lot_461_vs.thumb.jBuffalo_Nickel_1937_S_Lot_461_rs.thumb.j

Haven't really kept up my acquisitions in this thread for the last few years, although my coin gallery page is pretty much up to date. But I just won four coins in a German internet auction, and I got such a good deal that I wanted to share it with you.

The 1937 Buffalo nickel was advertised as being in an ANACS holder; when I received the coins, it turned out to be in an old green PCGS rattler! Fortunately, the coins look a lot better in hand than the pictures. I've been participating in this company's internet auctions on several different occasions and have never been disappointed yet (WAG online, https://www.wago-auktionen.de/).

IHC 1859   | AU/Unc  | --       | $260 (+)    |   54
IHC 1875   | MS63BN  | PCGS     | $300        |  120
Buf 1937   | MS66    | PCGS old | $80-$100    |   40
Buf 1937-S | MS66    | ANACS    | $110        |   36
Total:                                           250
Buyer fee (15%), shipping and PayPal:             44
Grand total:                                     299

Buffalo_Nickel_1937_Lot_460_vs.thumb.jpgBuffalo_Nickel_1937_Lot_460_rs.thumb.jpg

Buffalo_Nickel_1937_S_Lot_461_vs.thumb.jBuffalo_Nickel_1937_S_Lot_461_rs.thumb.j

These are all beauties. You are tempting me greatly.

IHC 1859   | AU/Unc  | --       | $260 (+)    |   54
IHC 1875   | MS63BN  | PCGS     | $300        |  120
Buf 1937   | MS66    | PCGS old | $80-$100    |   40
Buf 1937-S | MS66    | ANACS    | $110        |   36
Total:                                           250
Buyer fee (15%), shipping and PayPal:             44
Grand total:                                     299

These are all beauties. You are tempting me greatly.

IHC 1859   | AU/Unc  | --       | $260 (+)    | €  54
IHC 1875   | MS63BN  | PCGS     | $300        | € 120
Buf 1937   | MS66    | PCGS old | $80-$100    | €  40
Buf 1937-S | MS66    | ANACS    | $110        | €  36
Total:                                          € 250
Buyer fee (15%), shipping and PayPal:           €  44
Grand total:                                    € 299

Shiiiiiny. Those are gorgeous.

Thanks! :art: I suppose I have to be thankful that a lot of U.S. bidders wouldn't bid on these in an overseas auction because of prohibitive customs and shipping costs, plus the fact that slabbed coins are definitely not as popular over here as they are in the States. On the other hand, there just aren't that many nice U.S. coins offered over here at auctions.

I'm going to have to check that auction site out; my German language skills are rusty, but they're not completely corroded, and if I can make heads or tails out of it, it might be a good source for coins I've found tough to get over here.

I'm going to have to check that auction site out; my German language skills are rusty, but they're not completely corroded, and if I can make heads or tails out of it, it might be a good source for coins I've found tough to get over here.

You can view their website either in English or German. I think they have gotten up to about one or more auctions per month by now.

Good luck! :yes:

You can view their website either in English or German. I think they have gotten up to about one or more auctions per month by now.

Good luck! :yes:

Haven't found a way to view in English yet and the google translater fails miserably.

Haven't found a way to view in English yet and the google translater fails miserably.

At the very top of the page on the left are two little flags ... clicking on the Stars and Stripes should put it in English mode. I realize now that they might not translate everything, though ... especially the navigation menu in the catalogs as well as the auction descriptions seems to be only in German. Oh well...