bobh was at it again!

bobh

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few odds and ends here:

HAWAII: 1883 dime (ex Künker auction 175, lot 3105). It has a few rim dings but is otherwise a very high-end XF:

HAWAII_1883_10c_ex_Kuenker_obv.thumb.jpgHAWAII_1883_10c_ex_Kuenker_rev.thumb.jpg

Texas 50c Commemoratives

Both of these were in the recent C.B. Slade Estate auction by Stack's. They are both in PCGS holders graded MS-66.

1935-D:

USA_Texas_50c_Commem_1935_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Texas_50c_Commem_1935_D_rev.thumb.jpg

1936-D:

USA_Texas_50c_Commem_1936_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Texas_50c_Commem_1936_D_rev.thumb.jpg

Booker T. Washington + George Washington Carver 50c Commemorative

1953-S (bought raw on eBay; very nice UNC coin for only $26!):

USA_50c_Commem_BTW_GWC_1953_S_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Commem_BTW_GWC_1953_S_rev.thumb.jpg

Morgan Dollar, 1888-O (VAM-4, "Hot Lips" variety). This is in an ANACS holder graded VF-20, also acquired from the C.B. Slade Estate sale. Price not bad at less than $100 for this grade! The question is, though, is it really VF-20 or just an overgraded but high-end F?

Morgan_Dollar_1888_O_HotLips_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1888_O_HotLips_rev.thumb.jpg

Recent Russian coins in my next post... :art:

Here are some recently acquired Russian coins.

1796-EM 5 Kopecks (Paul I overstrike on earlier cipher series of Catherine II): There is so much hidden detail in this coin, although it is not immediately obvious at first that it is actually overstruck and not just the result of clashed dies and double striking. Please go here to see about 20 different aspects of this fascinating coin!

RUSSIA_5k_1796_EM_Paul_overstrike_rev.sized.jpgRUSSIA_5k_1796_EM_Paul_overstrike_obv.sized.jpg

This one and the next were from the recent Auction 69, Leipziger Münzhandlung H. Höhn (lots 1057 + 1060). The 1900 coin is particularly pleasing:

1897-*, 50 Kopecks (Paris mint)

RUSSIA_50k_1897_Paris_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_50k_1897_Paris_rev.thumb.jpg

1900-FZ, 50 Kopecks (St. Petersburg mint)

RUSSIA_50k_1900_FZ_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_50k_1900_FZ_rev.thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Won at yesterday and today's Hess-Divo auctions. The first is auction 317, lot 293; the second from auction 318, lot 1355. I'll replace these auction pictures with my own after I pick up the coins and have had a chance to take some pics.

EDIT: Here are my own pictures now:

BAR KOCHBA Revolt (132-135 A.D.), year 1. Small bronze, grapes on obverse and date palm on reverse (obv. inscription reads "Year 1 of the Redemption of Israel" / rev. inscription reads "Eleazar the Priest"). Mildenberg 148, Group 1a; Meshorer, AJC II, 266, 7a

I've wanted one of these for a long time now, and finally found a very nice example (much better one than the one depicted in the plates of the Mildenberg book):

JUDEA_Bar_Kochba_Year1_Eleazar_bronze_obv.thumb.jpgJUDEA_Bar_Kochba_Year1_Eleazar_bronze_edge.thumb.jpgJUDEA_Bar_Kochba_Year1_Eleazar_bronze_rev.thumb.jpg

RUSSIA: Gold 5 roubles 1909-ЭБ:

RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_rev.thumb.jpg

:yahoo:

Going back up a few posts, you've got some nice Hawaiian and a great Columbian half! I only ever seen them in XF/AU

Thanks! There are some stunning Columbian 50c in the Heritage archives, but this one was a lucky find on eBay from a German dealer. It would probably grade at least MS-65 (IMHO), but I only paid something like $25 or $30 for it. If it had been in a slab in a Stack's or Heritage auction ... well, I don't like to think about what it would have cost!

As to Hawaiian coinage, it is very difficult to find any coins from the series in MS except for the quarter -- Walter Breen writes in his "Encyclopedia" that entire rolls of Hawaiian quarters were somehow saved from melting down and made their way into the hands of coin dealers, whereas the other silver denominations became quite rare after Hawaii became a territory of the USA.

I just put up my own pictures of these now:

BAR KOCHBA Revolt (132-135 A.D.), year 1. Small bronze, grapes on obverse and date palm on reverse (obv. inscription reads "Year 1 of the Redemption of Israel" / rev. inscription reads "Eleazar the Priest"). Mildenberg 148, Group 1a; Meshorer, AJC II, 266, 7a

JUDEA_Bar_Kochba_Year1_Eleazar_bronze_obv.thumb.jpgJUDEA_Bar_Kochba_Year1_Eleazar_bronze_rev.thumb.jpg

RUSSIA: Gold 5 roubles 1909-ЭБ:

RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_rev.thumb.jpg

Also, here is an encased Indian cent which I picked up for 8€ and small change on eBay last week:

USA_Good_Luck_Token_1901_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Good_Luck_Token_1901_rev.thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like someone wasn't paying attention here:

USA, Dime (10 Cent) 1876 CC, Carson City

:banana:

Reference (it's variety #72, BTW -- doubled die obverse, Fortin 107b, read all about it here:

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/pictorial/1876cc.htm.

You can even see the obverse die crack through Liberty's forehead on these pictures):

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/major_100_pricing.htm

Pics:

1876-CC_DDO_obv.JPG1876-CC_DDO_rev.JPG

I really love that series. I can't wait to graduate to that. I also really need a CC finally.... Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

I haven't gotten that deeply into the dimes yet, just a few goodies here and there. But maybe this will be my next target, who knows?? With this particular coin, I thought I might be able to pick it up on the cheap because neither the red book nor PCGS list any of the DDO varieties for this year and MM. I think it would grade VF or even XF -- the dies were so worn out by the time it was struck that little detail is shown even on high grade specimens. And the auction was by a German seller; I'm pretty sure there aren't very many die variety dime collectors over here. As the price list shown by Gerry Fortin shows, even in VF it is listed at over $100. So I think I got a good deal on it. As it turned out, one other bidder bid it up to the price it eventually reached (40€ or something like $59 including shipping to Switzerland); otherwise, it would have probably gone for about half that amount.

Here is one of the nicest Buffalo nickels I have seen in a long time outside of a PCGS or NGC slab:

USA_5c_Buffalo_1923_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_5c_Buffalo_1923_rev.thumb.jpg

My wife and I have non-overlapping vacation schedules between Christmas and New Years, unfortunately -- so we decided to spend a week in the Italian area of Switzerland (called the Tessin, for those "in the know") during the first week of January which we both had off ... So we booked a nice hotel in Lugano for that time period. (Little did we know that it would actually be WARMER in Zurich, where we live, than in the southern part of Helvetia that whole week...)

Unfortunately, I came down with the flu the day after we arrived (I really think it was the swine flu, but didn't feel like shelling out $85 to find out for sure...) So for most of the week, I just stayed in bed (yuck!) while my wife did all sorts of "wellness" things (massages, sauna, swimming, aroma therapy, etc.)

Anyway, the first day we were in Lugano, we took a walk into town, and lo and behold -- there was a coin shop! There were all sorts of things in the window display, but this Buffalo nickel caught my eye. It is a very small store-front, but this coin -- priced at about $50 -- didn't let me go. The next day, I made an effort to go there, and I bought this coin ... I guess one might say, this was my "wellness" therapy! :hysterical:

I might add that the dealer had graded this coin as "quasi FDC", or AU-something. In the USA, I don't think this coin would grade any less than MS-64, especially considering that early-date Buffs usually didn't strike up very well (except for the minute obverse rim ding at 2 pm ... what do YOU think?) :banana:

(BTW, after buying a magnifying lens for the view finder in my Nikon D60, I'm FINALLY getting my pictures in focus! :yahoo: )

Thanks!

I haven't gotten that deeply into the dimes yet, just a few goodies here and there. But maybe this will be my next target, who knows?? With this particular coin, I thought I might be able to pick it up on the cheap because neither the red book nor PCGS list any of the DDO varieties for this year and MM. I think it would grade VF or even XF -- the dies were so worn out by the time it was struck that little detail is shown even on high grade specimens. And the auction was by a German seller; I'm pretty sure there aren't very many die variety dime collectors over here. As the price list shown by Gerry Fortin shows, even in VF it is listed at over $100. So I think I got a good deal on it. As it turned out, one other bidder bid it up to the price it eventually reached (40€ or something like $59 including shipping to Switzerland); otherwise, it would have probably gone for about half that amount.

I love a good die variety! Those dimes and the Barbers are a dream variety set for me.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Why do you think it was H1N1?

I love a good die variety! Those dimes and the Barbers are a dream variety set for me.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Why do you think it was H1N1?

Well, when I usually get something like this, it lasts for a week or less, and my temperature usually stays below 38C - 100F. This time, my fever had gone over 39.5 - 103F, and I was ill for much longer. What I didn't have, which is usually a symptom of swine flu, is the diarrhea associated with it. So maybe this was not swine flu after all, but a rare case of "buffalo flu" :hysterical:

• 11 months later...

OK, a few things have accumulated here over the past year. I was only able to take some pictures over the past weekend, and will have to split these up across three different posts. Here we go, chronologically:

A. JUDAEA, Bar Kochba Revolt (132-135 C.E.), silver zuz (undated, attributed to year 3 -- 134/5 C.E.):

JUDAEA_Bar_Kochba_Zuz_undated_obv.thumb.jpgJUDAEA_Bar_Kochba_Zuz_undated_rev.thumb.jpg

B. RUSSIA, "Baroque" silver 5 kopecks 1758-СПБ (Tsarina Elisabeth):

RUSSIA_Baroque_5_kopecks_1758_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_Baroque_5_kopecks_1758_rev.thumb.jpg

C. RUSSIA, 5 kopecks 1760 no mintmark (Tsarina Elisabeth):

RUSSIA_5_Kopecks_1760_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Kopecks_1760_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Kopecks_1760_rev.thumb.jpg

D. RUSSIA, 5 kopecks 1796-AM (Tsarina Catherine II):

RUSSIA_5_Kopecks_1796_AM_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Kopecks_1796_AM_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Kopecks_1796_AM_rev.thumb.jpg

Next post: USA, one large cent and two Indian cents.

E. USA, large cent 1837 (haven't had time to attribute the Newcomb variety yet):

USA_Large_Cent_1837_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Large_Cent_1837_rev.thumb.jpg

F. USA, Indian Head cent 1863:

USA_Indian_Cent_1863_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Indian_Cent_1863_rev.thumb.jpg

G. USA, Indian Head cent 1884:

USA_Indian_Cent_1884_ex_MHA_20120122_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Indian_Cent_1884_ex_MHA_20120122_rev.thumb.jpg

Next post: a few Morgan dollars and a 1936-D San Diego 50 cent commemorative, plus one interesting SL dime.

Will look into the VAM varieties of these next thing when I have time:

H. USA, Morgan dollar 1879-S:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1879_S_coin_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1879_S_coin_rev.thumb.jpg

I. USA, Morgan dollar 1885-O:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1885_O_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1885_O_rev.thumb.jpg

J. USA, Morgan dollar 1897-S:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1897_S_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1897_S_rev.thumb.jpg

K. USA, San Diego - California Pacific International Exposition 50 cent commemorative - 1936-D:

USA_50_Cent_San_Diego_1936_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_Cent_San_Diego_1936_D_rev.thumb.jpg

This dime has the Fortin 151 reverse -- die breaks from the rim through "E" of "UNITED" and through the last "S" of "STATES":

L. USA, dime 1853 (arrows at date):

USA_Dime_1853_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Dime_1853_rev.thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful coins Bob. The 84 IHC has terrific woodgraining. The 23 Buffalo is superb. I've considered one of those magnifiers for my D3100 but haven't found much in a positive vain about them. Is your's the Nikon device or an OEM?