CoinPeople.com

Tip: Coin storage in Tupperware / Rubbermaid

Guest Stujoe

Guest Stujoe

Here is a thread from rec.collecting.coins that addresses Tupperware and Rubbermaid type plastics (actually the recycle codes found on the bottom) and a few other storage tips:

http://tinyurl.com/t9uq

"If you're storing coins in a larger plastic container, check the bottom for these letters inside the recycling symbol, they are all safe: PP, PE, HDPP, HDPE, LDPP, LDPE."

One thing to remember, though, is you still have to control humidity (you can get silica gell) and anything else in the environment that might not be safe (exposure to sulfur or other chemicals, etc).

Here is where I bought my rechargeable Silica Gel that I use for bulk coin storage:

http://www.brent-krueger.com/silica.html

--------------------

59641185@N00.jpg

|| The Stujoe Collection || Digital Photo People || Stujoe.com || NumisLinks || NumisWiki ||

• 1 year later...

So many people use those gel packs to dehumidify coin storage. For a small confined area they may be great but if you have a large amount of coins in a large amount of albums, 2x2's, rolls, etc., they are a waste of money and time. I keep all my coins in my basement. I keep the door to the basement closed mostly but it is not an air tight invironment. Some years back I continued to hear so much about those silica gel packs that so many organizations use for shipping items. So I purchased a large quantity of them. I normally use a more modern thing called an electric dehumidifier. With the use of a hygrometer I monitor the humidity level in the basement and keep it at below 30%. In the Chicago area that is really, really low. It runs a good deal of the time but also makes the entire house a better place to live. Now with those gel packs I turned off the dehumidfier and left about 12 of the large gel packs around the entire basement. Withing on day the humidity jumped up to 45%. The next day it hit 50%. Turned the dehumidifier back on as fast as I could. Within 2 days and with the gel packs still here, the humidity dropped back to the 30% level. So if you want to use those, fine. I'll stick to my proven method. I've had coins here for well over 60 years now and no signs of deterioration yet. Let you know if there is any change in the next hundred years of so. By the way, I do keep all Whitman Classic Albums in large freezer bags with as much air pushed out as possible.