CoinPeople.com

1755 Grivennik overstruck on ??

squirrel

This just sold on ebay. High bid (not me) was $360 ;)

Anyone have an idea of what the under-coin is? :ninja:

It looks to have been a coin of larger diameter, and trimmed down.

I was just going to ask the same question ;) All I can tell is that the obverse has a line that spells out a part of Elizaveta, the reverse seems to have a Russian “P”. What’s strange is that the font of these partial inscriptions is noticeably larger than the regular font on the grivennik, the meaning of that “P” on reverse is unclear to me. Definitely not made out of a 1755 5 kop as the seller suggested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270247367959

Overstruck on a polupoltinnik or something, which is then "fixed" by clipping the rest of the planchet :ninja:

I'm saying this because the area "CAB" corresponds to the area "P"olupoltinnik. Ruble and poltina will not make sense as it will correspond to "M" for moneta. Shame though, I wanted to bid on it for further study on overstrikes but that's way beyond what I can afford.

Overstruck on a polupoltinnik or something, which is then "fixed" by clipping the rest of the planchet :ninja:

Maybe.

Or it could be a grivennik flan that somehow ended up in a polupoltinnik press and was struck, then fed into the 10 kop press & overstruck as the correct denomination.

Overstruck on a polupoltinnik or something, which is then "fixed" by clipping the rest of the planchet ;)

I'm saying this because the area "CAB" corresponds to the area "P"olupoltinnik. Ruble and poltina will not make sense as it will correspond to "M" for moneta. Shame though, I wanted to bid on it for further study on overstrikes but that's way beyond what I can afford.

Thanks Gx! :ninja:

I saw that the characters were from a larger coin of Elizeveta, but I just didn’t put 2 and 2 together. I guess it was just too late or too early for me ;)

As far I remember coin was listed about 10-12 years back in the monthly mailing list one of the Russian coin dealer. I should check my notes.

I have review the coin and didn’t buy.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...