CoinPeople.com

Where are the new designs?

tabbs

Last year the Royal Mint launched a competition to find new designs for six denominations. That competition ended in November 2005 ...

http://www.royalmint.com/RoyalMint/web/sit...Competition.asp

... but since then I have not seen any news about those new designs. Have they (descriptions, or even images) been published anywhere?

Christian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea. 2007 perhaps?

I still haven't seen any 2006 coins yet, i think the mint are a bit behind this year. The 'copper' (i use the term in it's loosest sense) has usually appeared by about May. [Or at least that's the case in recent years]. Maybe they've gone back to the old release them in autumn thing?

• 10 months later...

Bounce

Sorry for dragging up an old topic (that was last posted in on the 6th June 2006) but it seems that the new designs could be seen this year, see the link below from BBC News, regarding the 1p coin it mentions about "finishing touches to the new designs"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6589171.stm

it seems that the new designs could be seen this year, see the link below from BBC News, regarding the 1p coin it mentions about "finishing touches to the new designs"

Thanks for the news and the link! Do you know by any chance if there are plans to make the 2p coin a little smaller? Its size is a little strange in my opinion, especially as the 5p pieces now are smaller than they were before ...

Christian

Thanks for the news and the link! Do you know by any chance if there are plans to make the 2p coin a little smaller? Its size is a little strange in my opinion, especially as the 5p pieces now are smaller than they were before ...

Christian

No mention of a size change, just a simple design change. To be honest they are long overdue a design change (except for the 20p which should have been left alone IMHO) after all many monarch's previously had many different design changes over their reigns & considering Elizabeth II is only around 10 years short of Victoria's reign she hasn't really had that many design changes during her 54 years on the throne compared to Victoria

To be honest they are long overdue a design change (except for the 20p which should have been left alone IMHO) after all many monarch's previously had many different design changes over their reigns & considering Elizabeth II is only around 10 years short of Victoria's reign she hasn't really had that many design changes during her 54 years on the throne compared to Victoria

True, but on the other hand quite a few changes have happened since Elizabeth became queen, particularly the switch from the "LSD" system to the decimal one, or the introduction of £1 and £2 coins. When the 5, 10 and 50 pence were resized, that would have been opportunities to modify their looks. But I assume that the "old" designs were purposely not replaced, in order to demonstrate continuity. In any case, at least as a collector :ninja: I think it's about time to introduce new designs ...

Christian

True, but on the other hand quite a few changes have happened since Elizabeth became queen, particularly the switch from the "LSD" system to the decimal one, or the introduction of £1 and £2 coins. When the 5, 10 and 50 pence were resized, that would have been opportunities to modify their looks. But I assume that the "old" designs were purposely not replaced, in order to demonstrate continuity. In any case, at least as a collector :ninja: I think it's about time to introduce new designs ...

Christian

Agreed, it was getting a bit boring collecting the same design for every year for the 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p. I just hope Brittania makes it onto one of the designs

• 3 weeks later...

A slight update to this thread but not an "official one" I have been searching, in vain, for any sneak peaks of the new coins and the closest of anything that represented new designs were these:

http://coindesigns.50webs.com/index.html

They're not bad but it's not really changing much is it? Plus I'm not a fan of flora & fauna coins hence why out of the "regional issues" (IOM, Jersey, Gurnsey, Falkland Islands & St Helena and Ascension) I have Guernsey at the bottom of my list.

Personally I'm hoping for a "Buildings of great Britain" theme so, for example we could have Big Ben (with The Houses Of Parliment), Stone Henge, Angel Of The North, Bullring Centre, etc.

Either that or retro designs in similar vain to the issues of 200-300 years ago

• 5 months later...

Well I though I would update you all on this subject. It has definately been confirmed that the new designs will hit our, erm, tills next year :ninja:

In the meantime I though I would point you all to this link

Clicky

The Royal Mint have done what I hoped they would, a limited release of 100,000 (not sure if this is just for base metal or for all three types been released, gold, silver & base) of the old designs for 2008 as well as a release of the new designs.

The new designs are yet to surface, however as soon as they do I will try to be the first to post them

If the £ was only $1.50 or so, it would be okay, but at $2.04 it gets a bit twa pricey for my Scottish blood. My buying anything from Britain or even Europe and Canada is gone for the now.

Wow, has it really got that high? I thought it was lowering again. Sorry I forgot the US Dollar is still hovering around $2=£1.

Wonder if any of the old designs will leak with 2008 on them? Wonder what they'll fetch seeing as this is limited to 100,000

I do wonder what they are going to change the £1 for next year seeing as it wasn't part of the design competition.

Scottish is actually a Scot after all?

Or is it one of those references to ancestral blood you americans like to make? :ninja:

By the way, what are these supposed design changes supposed to be? I don't see any...

They're to be released soon, apparently. The set won't be available until Spring 2008 I just hope we don't have to wait as long before we see the designs (I predic mid November)

The most interesting thing about this though is that the £1 coin is to change, they're dropping the Royal Shield design after all these years. Wonder what they'll replace that with???

Well it's going to be a looooooooooong wait. I got the colour brouchers regarding this set in the post today and some bad news, according to the letter they cannot even reveal the new designs until Spring 2008 but they promise they will be good & will sit well next to the "last of the old set".

Make of that what you will, hoepfully that means we'll still have a "traditional" design rather than the European style of random shapes

Also they are doing only 250 sets of the coins in Platinum, price: £4995.00 I'll take two sets please ;):ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived