CoinPeople.com

New member.....

Welcome Jebat! We all started out as amateur collectors; heck I've been collecting 30 years and still learning every day. Feel free to jump in and comment and ask all the questions you want :ninja:

hi everybody......I am Jebat_Jr from Malaysia......I am just an amateur collector.......still learning and adding up my collection.......I hope to be accepted as a member eventhough I may not able to give any good information or contribution to this forum...... :ninja:

Finally! A member from Malaysia! :lol: I got some Malaysian banknotes / coins to ask you!!! :cry: Welcome!

Finally! A member from Malaysia! :ninja: I got some Malaysian banknotes / coins to ask you!!! :lol: Welcome!

Yes sir, I'll try my best to give the info..........

anyway, thanks to everybody for the warm welcome......just give me sometime to browse and get familiar with this website......since English is not my mother tongue.....please forgive any misspelling or misinterpretation.......

:lol:

Here are my first two questions:

This is a Malaysian 1992 silver proof set of the circulating coins. Does the Malaysian mint this kind of set every year? As well as, do you happen to know any sites that sell such sets like this? I find it very impressive :ninja:

906490.jpg

Now a banknote question. What is the largest denomination banknote ever released in Malaysia? I remember that during the early days of Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei period, there was an agreement between the ex-British colony to print banknotes of the same denomination in the same color. And if this is true, did Malaysia ever release a 10,000 RM note? I know I have seen a 1000 RM note before in my life, but rarely can I find such infomation on such notes online...

For the 1st question........the answer is NO! Up to 2002, the Official Proof Set only issued in:

1967 (500 sets)......

1980 (5000 sets).....only sold to the employee of the Bank Negara Malaysia.

1981 (unknown).......

1992 (5000 sets)........only sold to the employee of the Bank Negara Malaysia.

For the 2nd question.......the largest denomination ever released in Malaysia was $ 1000.00 (later RM 1000.00). The year issued as follow:

1. 1968.............Signed by Ismail Mohd. Ali, E & P by whom not sure...

2. 1972 - 1976...Signed by Ismail Mohd. Ali, E & P by Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co. Ltd.

3. 1976 - 1981...Signed by Ismail Mohd. Ali, E & P by Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co. Ltd.

4. 1982 - 1984...Signed by Abd. Aziz Hj. Taha, E & P by Thomas de la Rue.

5. 1987.............Signed by Dato' Jaffar Hussein, E & P by Thomas de la Rue.

1967 (500 sets)......

1980 (5000 sets).....only sold to the employee of the Bank Negara Malaysia.

1981 (unknown).......

1992 (5000 sets)........only sold to the employee of the Bank Negara Malaysia.

:lol:

Thanks for letting me know!!!

Yes, I was told that the 1992 set was sold only to the Bank Negara Malaysia employee - is there any particular reason for this? :ninja:

Now saying that... I'll look for the other sets... :cry:

I see Jebat_Jr. So I guess such sets must be quite scarce in Malaysia! The last time I bought from a dealer overseas, he had 5 such sets - I was a fool to get a damaged mint set, but at a reduced price. It really makes me wonder what the official issue price of the mint set was.

Btw, you have nice coins in your collection - just saw them on omnicoin! :ninja:

I see Jebat_Jr. So I guess such sets must be quite scarce in Malaysia! The last time I bought from a dealer overseas, he had 5 such sets - I was a fool to get a damaged mint set, but at a reduced price. It really makes me wonder what the official issue price of the mint set was.

Btw, you have nice coins in your collection - just saw them on omnicoin! :lol:

Those sets......it looks expensive to us because we buy in RM......it may look cheaper if I buy them in USD...... USD 1 is about RM 3.60+.......hu hu hu......really can't affort.......

I have more coins to upload......but i'll try not to upload the cheaper & common one.......

Mr art.......thanks......Malaysian always friendly...... :ninja:

Welcome aboard. It didn't take long to lose your amateur status!

Archived