CoinPeople.com

1906 San Francisco Earthquake

bill

A recent purchase, brass so-called dollar, although not aluminum. The medal is known in aluminum, but I have yet to encounter one. I passed on silver pieces several times and finally broke down and bought one in brass. I guess living so close to SF and having walked part of California Street was just too much of an attraction. I also bid on one suspended from a brass, SOUVENIR pinback bar, but I was sniped in the final 5 seconds. Oh well. Hibler and Kappen could find no information about who issued the medal or why (for profit or to raise funds for the relief effort). The images on both sides correspond to popular photographs made in the days following the earthquake and fire.

912010.jpg

Upgraded:

987453.jpg

I find items from that event most fascinating. I have a watch which has come down through the family which was damaged by the subsequent fire and recovered by my great great grandmother. If only the tie to the San Fran earthquake and fire could help it's value. Without the fire damage it would be a $10 K watch, now only a few hundred :ninja:

Nice one Bill! I like medals with realistic views for the historical reference they provide.

I've never come across that one before. Probably not surprisingly since Kirkcaldy is hardly the hub of things numismatic. :ninja:

Out of interest what size (roughly) is your medal?

Ian

I've never come across that one before. Probably not surprisingly since Kirkcaldy is hardly the hub of things numismatic.  :ninja:

Ian

I beg to differ, I have seen a couple of tokens, and even some communion tokens from the hub of the Kingdom.

Out of interest what size (roughly) is your medal?

Ian

It is the size of a US silver dollar (Morgan and Peace dollars).

• 3 years later...

I recently added a related medal, generally counted as part of the earthquake souvenirs:

4412844998_316bd3d39c.jpg

Then I found the tin badge pictured below. The badges were used as entry to the rebuilding celebration held on New Year's Eve 1908. The composite image shows the badge, headline from a newspaper article about the celebration and the newspaper inset showing the badge.

4589774562_653e26a3ab.jpg

• 4 months later...

A silver-plated version of the first medal. The tower on the structure on the left has a clock face shown. There are two versions of these medals, one with and one without the clock face.

985649.jpg

I've created two composites using historic photographs and the two sides of the medal"

4997224778_eb665180cf_z.jpg

The photograph was clearly the model for the medal design.

High resolution view

4996619101_f7be85fe2f_z.jpg

High resolution view

• 9 months later...

As I have noted above, the brass piece is the non-clock tower variety and the silver or silver-plated piece is the clock tower variety. I now know the "clock-tower" variety was made in Seattle in 1906, but I don't know any more about the second variety (except I now know it comes in two varieties as well, "earthquake & fire" and a "disaster & fire" legend.

In the process of researching the medals, I did finally manage to acquire an aluminum example. These are very difficult to find and are probably the rarest of the various varieties. I like the uncirculated aluminum since it struck up with the full detail of the dies.

994379.jpg

Archived