CoinPeople.com

Saar 10 Franks 1954

Scottishmoney

saar100f1954.jpg

Twice after World Wars, France seized the Saar region from Germany. The second time from 1944-1957 France issued coins and currency for the region, of course denominated in Franks, what else?

After a vote in 1955 the citizens of the Saar voted to rejoin Germany, which happened in January 1957. The Frank denominated coinage was superseceded by that of Germany soon thereafter.

Actually the French and West German governments had agreed upon a "Europeanization" of Saarland which would have given the area an autonomous status. But the people in 1955 voted against the plans that the chiefs of government, Adenauer (DE) and Mendès-France (FR), had for Saarland.

In 1947 the French franc became the sole legal tender in Saarland. As from July 1954 Saarland issued its own "Franken" coins which had the same specifications (size, weight, etc.) as the French "franc(s)" counterparts. Five years later, in July 1959, the Deutsche Mark replaced the franc/Franken cash in Saarland.

Next year Germany will issue a €10 coin commemorating the 50th anniversary of Saarland's joining the Federal Republic. This picture http://www.bbr.bund.de/wettbewerbe/grafik/saarland1.jpg (not a great photo ...) shows the winning design. The text says 50 Jahre Bundesland Saarland, and the edge inscription says Deutschland - Frankreich - Europa.

Christian

Very interesting. I like the coin design. I think I have a few Saar coins around somewhere in my collection.

Archived