CoinPeople.com

Do you specialize on your banknotes collection ?

see323

I've never spent over $10 on a single non-US note, I know there will be times I might, but I like my cheap WWII and before stuff from Germany. Especially the German 100 mark note from 1910, just beautiful, and well worth it for the $3-$6 price in crisp white unc. (about $0.25 in used though lol) There is just something about a well designed oversized note that just strikes my interest....maybe thats my concentration then? Oversized German notes, hmm. Eh, possibly a more exact collection would be just notes that include greek and roman gods?

As it is right now though, I've gotten a pile of around 300 german notes, and about 750-800 random other countries (5 bundles of 100 though). And I want to get much much more. I have not reason to gather such a pile other than I enjoy how they are designed as an item of art, and world history. Sometimes there is never a better place to learn about a countries real history than on its currency.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never spent over $10 on a single non-US note, I know there will be times I might, but I like my cheap WWII and before stuff from Germany. Especially the German 100 mark note from 1910, just beautiful, and well worth it for the $3-$6 price in crisp white unc. (about $0.25 in used though lol) There is just something about a well designed oversized note that just strikes my interest....maybe thats my concentration then? Oversized German notes, hmm. Eh, possibly a more exact collection would be just notes that include greek and roman gods?

As it is right now though, I've gotten a pile of around 300 german notes, and about 750-800 random other countries (5 bundles of 100 though). And I want to get much much more. I have not reason to gather such a pile other than I enjoy how they are designed as an item of art, and world history. Sometimes there is never a better place to learn about a countries real history than on its currency.

Yes, we do learn a great deal about the countries from the banknotes. Art form, history, lifestyle at certain period. Around South East Asian, most of the early featured design on the banknotes were those water-buffalo at the padi field. Banknotes from Vietnam, Laos, Malaya, Indonesia, Straits Settlements have the same daily scenes during a certain period.

Just received this 2006 Singapore low serial number first prefix first polymer for a Singapore $2 signed by Goh Chok Tong ( ex-PM ).

This is the fifth note produced for a polymer $2 in Singapore currency and a change of signatory. It is going to be a rare piece in the coming years. :ninja:;);)

Singapore200622AA000005-Front-800.jpg

Just received this 2006 Singapore low serial number first prefix first polymer for a Singapore $2 signed by Goh Chok Tong ( ex-PM ).

This is the fifth note produced for a polymer $2 in Singapore currency and a change of signatory. It is going to be a rare piece in the coming years. ;););)

Singapore200622AA000005-Front-800.jpg

Nice find! :ninja:

Polymers and Dutch notes are my specialty.

• 3 weeks later...

Traditionally, QEII banknotes are popular theme for world collectors. Countries from NZ, Australia, past colonial countries such as Malaya includes Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei all uses banknotes with QEII portraits. Since I collect solid number, I have group all my QEII solid number banknotes into a tight small collection. Below is an artistic appreciation of QEII portrait banknotes. I have also started a specialized forum on Singapore and World solid number banknotes forum. Do join and have a good discussion on solid number banknotes collecting at http://notepassioncom.phpbbnow.com/index.php

QEII-Fun-Page.jpg

:ninja:;);)

I guess that one of the most interesting serial number banknotes from Macau should be the 1000 patacas from BNU with number AA88888, with date 8/8 1988. Of course it would have been best if the prefix also had reached HH.

The banknote was of course printed with the date 8/8 1988 on purpose, as 8 is considered a lucky number.

//Joakim

I guess that one of the most interesting serial number banknotes from Macau should be the 1000 patacas from BNU with number AA88888, with date 8/8 1988. Of course it would have been best if the prefix also had reached HH.

The banknote was of course printed with the date 8/8 1988 on purpose, as 8 is considered a lucky number.

//Joakim

That will be a nice piece of solid 888888 having the first prefix AA and the date does make some terrible weightage on the note. :ninja:

I collect unusual numbers such as repeaters and radar notes. All US currency! I also have a Barr note and a webb, a nice pair of bookends. I also go for the low serial numbers my lowest 00000333! And can't forget star notes but only when the numbers are low or unusual. Last but not least, old notes. I have a 1928a small size 100.00 bill, several from 1950, wartime, silver certificates and fractional currency from 1849.

I collect unusual numbers such as repeaters and radar notes. All US currency! I also have a Barr note and a webb, a nice pair of bookends. I also go for the low serial numbers my lowest 00000333! And can't forget star notes but only when the numbers are low or unusual. Last but not least, old notes. I have a 1928a small size 100.00 bill, several from 1950, wartime, silver certificates and fractional currency from 1849.

Great Collection ! Nice to know a US collector specializing on fancy numbers. You should invest and collect US solid numbers banknotes. With strong US economy, they are great investment. You can join my brand new forum on solid numbers and fancy number listed earlier in this topic. Check out my personal collection website at www.notepassion.com

Great Collection ! Nice to know a US collector specializing on fancy numbers. You should invest and collect US solid numbers banknotes. With strong US economy, they are great investment. You can join my brand new forum on solid numbers and fancy number listed earlier in this topic. Check out my personal collection website at www.notepassion.com

Very cool! I just checked it out! I'm still looking for one that has all of the same #! I'm close on 2 but I saved them anyways. #66666656 & 81111111. Plus with your favor in 5's I have a really cool radar note with the # 51555515. We always have a coin show twice a year in Charlotte,NC and a couple of years ago one of the dealers had a dollar bill with solid 7's! I wanted it soooooooo bad but he was asking over 250.00 I think. So I didn't get it! I still think about it to this day, I should of bought it. But my collection is just that. a collection, a hobby. I couldn't part with one single piece of my collection. I plan on passing it down to my youngest(mini-me). She's alredy a saver and she's six. I find her stashes all over the house. I bet if I put all her stashes of coins together she would have a couple hundred dollars. My oldest will get the family jewels! LOL

Very cool! I just checked it out! I'm still looking for one that has all of the same #! I'm close on 2 but I saved them anyways. #66666656 & 81111111. Plus with your favor in 5's I have a really cool radar note with the # 51555515. We always have a coin show twice a year in Charlotte,NC and a couple of years ago one of the dealers had a dollar bill with solid 7's! I wanted it soooooooo bad but he was asking over 250.00 I think. So I didn't get it! I still think about it to this day, I should of bought it. But my collection is just that. a collection, a hobby. I couldn't part with one single piece of my collection. I plan on passing it down to my youngest(mini-me). She's alredy a saver and she's six. I find her stashes all over the house. I bet if I put all her stashes of coins together she would have a couple hundred dollars. My oldest will get the family jewels! LOL

Thank you for your compliment. My website started this year in April. Still working on it during my spare time. My entire collection of world solid 555555 will be displayed in the website soon. I started seriously collecting in 1986 - 1987 on world coins and Singapore banknotes. At that time, I was freshed from my army ( The guys in Singapore need to complete 2.5 years of national service in the army ). It was an enjoyable hobby for me which I spend almost S$2000 each week to acquire both coins and banknotes. I did not know how I did it but did manage to buy and sell some of the coins and banknotes to further my collection. It was not an easy task doing the trading of these coins and banknotes then. Today, we have the ebay auction and a relatively good and effective way to sell our items to the world collectors. In 2004, I branched out to world solid number 555555 banknotes and that is still my current focus today for my expensive banknote hobby. I shall leave my solid number banknotes to either my son or my daughter. It will on their interest in this hobby.

You should have purchase the one dollar bill with the solid 7s. They are now worth very much more than US$250. It's a lucky jackpot 7s. Asian Chinese do not fancy so much on a number 7. Their lucky number is 8. Asian Chinese collector interpretation of 7 is dead people. Anyway, this is a just a belief. I see quite a lot of Asian collectors going for number 7 these days but not a number 4, because 4 sound like death.

It's an expensive hobby but luckily we can specialize according to our affordability and likings. Do share your thoughts and views on my new solid number and fancy numbers forum at http://notepassioncom.phpbbnow.com/index.php I will be adding a new section on low and fancy serial number in the forum.

cheers :ninja:

Nice bit of imaging there! It looks very good

Dave, Art - Thank you for the compliment. Still learning as I move on it. But there is always a copyright issue on those photos. Most of the copyright holders aim at commercial users. For own personal use, it is usually not a problem. For countries that I have visited, I will use my own personal photos. Below are some of the examples that I have created earlier. :ninja: enjoy.

FC-Singapore.jpg

FC-NewZealand.jpg

I recently read this from www.banknote.com. I find it very true. Here is the extract from the article on banknote collection which I did some changes to the sentences. The idea behind is still the same.

"The stricter your requirements for your collection, the less

notes you will likely to collect in your collection. Also, your collection will cost more.

At the same time, your collection will have a higher value. If you just start collecting

paper money, don't look for investment, just buy the notes you like and enjoy them.

Later on when you become a more advanced collector you will learn how to buy up

notes that are worth not only because of their beauty, but also because of their

investment value."

:ninja:

Archived