CoinPeople.com

Do you specialize on your banknotes collection ?

see323

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my most important match in my collection. It is extremely rare to find an uncirculated $1 1953 Malaya and British Borneo solid number in Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. In 1953, the three countries uses the same currency under the colonial rules. In this case, it is a A/71 555555. Surprisingly, this 1953 QEII note come from Brazil. About 18 years ago, I have another $1 piece, Singapore Ship series $1 A/71 555555 in my collecton. Today, this two pieces are connected by their matching prefix, serial number and denomination. It is a colonial connection pair. After 53 years, they get to meet and united as one :ninja:

QEII-Ship1MatchingC71555555.jpg

After 53 years, they get to meet and united as one :ninja:

A very notable accomplishment indeed, when/if I specialize in number sequences I'll be going for 2's and 4's, my lucky numbers. The Zambian Kwacha notes will of course be my starting point for that venture! Very nice see323.

:ninja: for your collection.

naidu - Yes, it is for my specialized 555555 collection. Within the 55555 collection, I am creating areas of unique collection such as exact matching serial number, same denomination pair. So far, this is the most important pair because of the extremely rarity of the 1953 $1 solid 555555 in perfect uncirculated condition . So far, there is no uncirculated condition Malaya and British Borneo1953 series solid numbers have been seen and noted in public auctions, private collections that I aware of. It is possible they may be in private collection but none have surface out. I have seen 1953 $1 QEII 999999, 1000000 in not very good condition from private collection but never a perfect uncirculated piece. ;)

vfox - I would encourage you to specialize in your collection. This will bring out the uniqueness of your collection. It also bring a sense of achievement when you find the pieces in your specialized collection. Start with your favorite numbers 2s and 4s. Go for the world collection as it will be appealing to the world collectors. If you need some help on that, let me know. ;)

see323, i admire your serial no. collection. but how do you track down those solids or other special no.s when they could be circulating anywhere?

Hi Naidu and thedeadpoint,

This piece was acquired from ebay Hong Kong seller just last week. Asian countries especially those with Chinese pppulation e.g. Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Taiwan have a large collector's base for solid number banknotes.

In Hong Kong, these nice serial numbers banknotes are being auction by the banks for charity purpose. I am not too sure how this piece was being acquired by the seller as it was printed by the Hong Kong governement special legistration. Traditionally, banknotes were printed in Hong Kong by the various banks. That's how the name banknotes exists until today. In Hong Kong, the existing issuing bank for currency are Bank of China, Chartered Bank and Hong Kong Bank or HSBC.

Any solid numbers with a double letter prefix e.g. BB222222, GG999999 have a premium price above the normal solid number. Double letter prefix are very popular among collectors. The example given for BB222222 have a even high premium since B = 2 in term of order of position and thereby classified under the "super solid number" category. There is no market price for these notes. It is a matter of setting an agreed price among both buyer and seller.

I acquired this note for my collection to form a small sub-collection with my large 555555 collection. It will consists of AA555555, BB555555.....ZZ555555. Generally, countries currently or in the past having this format of serial number come from Philippines, Hong Kong, Macau, China, Singapore NZ and Australia. Both NZ and Australia current format have the year included which may not fully fit into the sub-collection. Singapore only have this format in the Ship Series $2. I have a Singapore Ship Series $2 KK555555.

Solid Number banknotes collecting is not cheap. It is the most expensive category under the banknote collecting other than rare notes. There are cheap ones from India, Indonesia and Philippines. Countries which have a strong economy tends to have a larger pools of collectors and making their solid numbers higher in price due to it's demand and rarity.

Some solids number are extremely rare due to survivial rate from the circulation. The earlier ones tends to be more pricey as more people look for them and thus create higher demand for the acquisition. There are also modern ones with low mintage. It can be both commomorative or for general circulation. An example for a general circulated one is a Singapore Ship Series $1. There are only 4 letter of prefix. It runs from , A/1 to D/20. From A/1 to D/13, the signatory was Goh Keng Swee. From D/14 to D/20, there is a change in signatory which is signed by Richard Hu, a total of possible 7 pieces of solids number e.g 555555 is available for collection. That is D/14 555555 to D/20 555555. These 7 pieces are consider extremely rare. Even the ordinary ones with prefix D/14 to D/20 having Richard Hu signature fetches a higher price than those with Goh Keng Swee signature. I have 2 pieces of the 555555 from Richard Hu signature out of the 7 pieces available. As these notes are non-auctioned item. They are taken out from the bank cashiers to banknote dealers and collectors. Nobody know whether the 7 pieces from D/14 to D/20 survive the circulation. A single piece of any solid number having Richard Hu signature can have a price tag of a few thousands in SGD. About 20 years ago, I only paid a few hundred dollar in SGD for both the two notes. Due to demand and awareness of these rare solid numbers, collectors are willing to pay record breaking prices for them.

Oops...I am writing too much and too long.

;):ninja:;)

Does anyone know what note is this ? Is it genuine ? There is no watermark. The paper quality looks like the same as the one use in the Antaractic banknotes. Thanks

LiteurasA555555-Back-900.jpg

LiteurasA555555-Front-900.jpg

With that €uro and the 12 stars, it looks like some kind of fantasy note from Lithuania.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest large denomination solid 555555 from Italy 1997 500,000 Lire. The Italian fashion wears and accessories in Milan already a world statement in the fashion design. The last Italian currency before the Euro dollar does reflect in design sense in the Italian currency. This one happen to be the largest denomination and has a face value of US$300+. A straight solid 555555 does add further rarity and value into this Italian banknote. Part of my world solid collection now.

Italy500000LireSA555555E-Front-800.jpg

Italy500000LireSA555555E-Back-800.jpg

:ninja:

My latest large denomination solid 555555 from Italy 1997 500,000 Lire. The Italian fashion wears and accessories in Milan already a world statement in the fashion design. The last Italian currency before the Euro dollar does reflect in design sense in the Italian currency. This one happen to be the largest denomination and has a face value of US$300+. A straight solid 555555 does add further rarity and value into this Italian banknote. Part of my world solid collection now.

Italy500000LireSA555555E-Front-800.jpg

Italy500000LireSA555555E-Back-800.jpg

:ninja:

Just an interesting discussion on this Italian 500,000 Lire banknote. It seems like there are only available prefixes such XA where X = any alphabet from A to Z. I have seen a number of these banknote with various prefixes where the second letter is an A. Below is an example.

IT118.JPG

Any comments on this ?

Here is another one with an RA prefix

ItalyP118b-500000Lire-D1997-donatedth_f.jpg

Ditto as above. Next time there is a Popular Banknote Comp, I wouldn't be suprised to see that take the cup.

Hard to say. Something I learn after the popular note competition. It all depend on voters. Voters do not think the same. Everyone have their taste and opinions. This note may not win any cup but glad to have it in the collection. :ninja:

Wow! Those are some really nice notes see323. I just can not seem to find a particular series/country/or anything to specialize in. I like everything!

Without specialization, it becomes quite disorderly. Viewers may not be able to categorize and see a common theme in your collection. One way is to pick all those common theme such as those with ships and place them together as one single collections on ships. That way, you can have many collections within your big collection. The other biggest problem is finances. The only way to finance your hobby is to trade in banknotes. Buying and selling will help to finance your own personal collection. :ninja:

Archived