CoinPeople.com

World proof sets produced by the Franklin Mint

Burks

I was browsing Ebay for some world mint/proof sets and found a vast majority produced by the Franklin Mint. Now are these "official" proof sets of these countries or just a marketing thing by the Franklin Mint? I'm sort of confused on that issue.

I was browsing Ebay for some world mint/proof sets and found a vast majority produced by the Franklin Mint. Now are these "official" proof sets of these countries or just a marketing thing by the Franklin Mint? I'm sort of confused on that issue.

It's both. I believe a lot of these governments give the OK to strike coins in their name in return for a part of the proceeds. The coins never circulate or are even seen by the citizens of said country.

That kind of sucks. If I wanted a Bahamas proof set I would like it to be made by the Bahamas mint (just throwing out an example).

ummm, Bahamas doesn't have a mint, never has. Normal circulation coins are all struck at the RM in the UK. Most of the Caribbean island nations (which is where the majority of FM products come from) are British Commonwealth nations, and most of them still use the RM for circulation issues.

I may be wrong on this, but it is my understanding that there are a number of nations for whom the Franklin mint struck normal circulation coinage. There's actually a book about coinage issues of the Franklin mint. I haven't seen a copy in quite a few years.

I may be wrong on this, but it is my understanding that there are a number of nations for whom the Franklin mint struck normal circulation coinage. There's actually a book about coinage issues of the Franklin mint. I haven't seen a copy in quite a few years.

For the Bahamas Krause lists FM issues from 1975-1985 in Matte, Special Uncirculated, and Proof.

From 1971-1974 they struck proofs and regular issues, though in 1971 and 1974 there were regular issues struck at the Royal Mint as well.

Since 1987 everything is struck at the Royal Mint.

So for the 1971-1974 the FM seems like the legitimate and official mint of the Bahamas.

ummm, Bahamas doesn't have a mint, never has. 

I know. It was the first country that came to mind I've seen stuff made by the Franklin Mint.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Archived