CoinPeople.com

Portuguese India

Ian

I bought this about seven years ago from a dealer in England. A nice large chunk of copper much the same size as a cartwheel twopence. It is the one and only example i've ever come across in the wild.

909712.jpg

Nice example, here's mine (Pic at numismata.org):

1871_1tanga_indiaport_obv.jpg

1871_1tanga_indiaport_rev.jpg

The 1871 serie was minted in Bombaim, they all have low mintage (around 50.000 pcs.) and are uncommon in the "wild", i actually suspect that they had limited circulation, most pieces are found in VF+ or above (i never saw one that was anything less than a strong VF) which is not normal for low nintage bronze coins that should be in circulation for 10 years before a new emission... :ninja:

Jose :lol:

Nice example, here's mine (Pic at numismata.org):

1871_1tanga_indiaport_obv.jpg

1871_1tanga_indiaport_rev.jpg

The 1871 serie was minted in Bombaim, they all have low mintage (around 50.000 pcs.) and are uncommon in the "wild", i actually suspect that they had limited circulation, most pieces are found in VF+ or above (i never saw one that was anything less than a strong VF) which is not normal for low nintage bronze coins that should be in circulation for 10 years before a new emission... :ninja:

Jose :cry:

The one tanga is the only one of the 1871 series that i do have ;)

I do have examples of all the denominations / types after that. Mind you, I have been stuck looking for a 1959 30 centavos now for the past ten years or so. they just don't seem to turn up in Scotland :lol: .

if you know where i can get hold of one it would complete my set for Portuguese India (excepting for the 1871 series that is).

Ian

The one tanga is  the only one of the 1871 series that i do have  ;)

I do have examples of all the denominations / types after that. Mind you, I have been stuck looking for a 1959 30 centavos now for the past ten years or so. they just don't seem to turn up in Scotland  :cry: .

if you know where i can get hold of one it would complete my set for Portuguese India (excepting for the 1871 series that is).

Ian

Note: Bombaim = Bombay ;)

So, you have the 1934 coins but you miss the 1959 30 centavos? :ninja:

That coin it's the most expensive of the "Escudos" series, but if you want, i'll see what that coin would cost me here (i'm guessing around 12.5 Euro in VF) and i'll PM you...

Jose :lol:

Note: Bombaim = Bombay  :cry:

So, you have the 1934 coins but you miss the 1959 30 centavos? :ninja:

That coin it's the most expensive of the "Escudos" series, but if you want, i'll see what that coin would cost me here (i'm guessing around 12.5 Euro in VF) and i'll PM you...

Jose ;)

Yep. The 1934 coins were no problem whatsoever? Are you suggesting that they are in the `difficult' range these days?

The 1959 30 centavos is that bane of my collecting life. it's one of those coins that should make an appearance every now and again....but for me it simply hasn't, and trust me I have looked. Boy have I looked!!

I'd happily pay that (and more!) just to get that gap in my collection closed. If you can find a decent example (VF or better) then i'd be happy to hear from you on it. :lol:

Needless to say...if there's anything you are specifically looking for let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Ian

1934 coins in XF or better were always scarce over here (i never suspected they were in Scotland  :lol: ).

Ok, i'll quote you a price by PM until this Sunday, it will be your call then...

Jose :ninja:

I'll look forward to your PM on this.

In the meantime, here's the `1934' coins I have . The `omnicoins' images are limiting when you do them together like this.

909804.jpg

Ian

• 1 year later...

Archived