CoinPeople.com

A Quarter for Your Thoughts?

Tiffibunny

:ninja: I wonder if the public can do better then some of the past quarters? :lol:

I do think that Hawaii has the potential to have an awesome design though.

I guess we will see at the end of 2008 :cry:

-Bobby

I'm of the opinion that there is just too much politics in each design. Too many groups vying for representation on the SQ and so at best you get a compromise design that offends no one rather than a great piece of artwork.

A majority of the state quarters have been a failure in my eyes. Some of the better ones were Nevada, Ohio, and Mississippi (my favorite). Others were just really "off" on what they should have represented or just designed horribly.

Can't remember which state it was that put the Old Man rock formation on their quarter......is that all the state is known for? (apparently so since I can't remember which it was :ninja:)

A majority of the state quarters have been a failure in my eyes. Some of the better ones were Nevada, Ohio, and Mississippi (my favorite). Others were just really "off" on what they should have represented or just designed horribly.

True, true! The best quarters are that are centered on one idea, like the Mississippi, Nevada and my favorite-New Jersey!

The Mississippi is definately in my top three choices.

Can't remember which state it was that put the Old Man rock formation on their quarter......is that all the state is known for? (apparently so since I can't remember which it was :ninja:)

New Hampshire, the rock formation fell from the mountain it was on later on the same year that the quarter was issued.

New Hampshire, the rock formation fell from the mountain it was on later on the same year that the quarter was issued.

Pics: http://www.can-newhampshire.com/interest.php

I think they went about it all wrong. What I believe they should have done is similar to the way Hawaii is starting out. They should have polled the general public on thier view of the state, what is it known for? I agree with Burks that the Nv quarter is great but horses in Nv? Other then the mustang ranch I dont know if I have ever seen horses in NV. Maybe I saw the Bud Horses in Vegas once? The state is know for gambling and entertainment... I think they could have come up with an even better design with that theme.

-Bobby

Pics: http://www.can-newhampshire.com/interest.php

... but horses in Nv? Other then the mustang ranch I dont know if I have ever seen horses in NV. Maybe I saw the Bud Horses in Vegas once? The state is know for gambling and entertainment... I think they could have come up with an even better design with that theme.

-Bobby

I gre up in the Reno, NV area - and I can attest that the state has wild horses. I would remind you that the Mustang Ranch brothel you speak so highly of borrows their name from the Mustang Horse.

You can still see wild horses, but you usually have to get off the highways to see them. I used to go see them at the Lovelock exit east of Reno ... if you head south, and then go onto the dirt road about one mile, you can get about two arms length from them in a truck, but open the door, and they trot off - I Have seen them kick at my brother's dog before, so if you go, don't try to feed them or anything.

I like their quarter too, and I am glad that they went with one main theme. They could have had their silver mining history, wild west, horses, gambling, Kit Carson, Mark Twain, icthysaurus quarter, but that would have to have more sides than two.... Perhaps they could have worked around the rim?

Ah yes that's it! I knew it was an east coast state and the rock formation had fell later on.

I gre up in the Reno, NV area - and I can attest that the state has wild horses. I would remind you that the Mustang Ranch brothel you speak so highly of borrows their name from the Mustang Horse.

You can still see wild horses, but you usually have to get off the highways to see them. I used to go see them at the Lovelock exit east of Reno ... if you head south, and then go onto the dirt road about one mile, you can get about two arms length from them in a truck, but open the door, and they trot off - I Have seen them kick at my brother's dog before, so if you go, don't try to feed them or anything.

I like their quarter too, and I am glad that they went with one main theme. They could have had their silver mining history, wild west, horses, gambling, Kit Carson, Mark Twain, icthysaurus quarter, but that would have to have more sides than two.... Perhaps they could have worked around the rim?

Yeah that was my point, The Mustang Ranch (That I personaly have never been to, I never make it past Vegas, so I can not speak for or against it) is the only refrence to these horses that most would know. I would bet that less then 3 out of 100 people, when asked what was in Nevada, would say horses. I feel that if you have 5-10 things your state is known for and you are going to commem it on a US coin, it should be one of the more recognisable themes. I feel a lot of states have failed at this.

-Bobby

I feel that if you have 5-10 things your state is known for and you are going to commem it on a US coin, it should be one of the more recognisable themes. I feel a lot of states have failed at this.

-Bobby

Too true, sir. But then again - you learned something about Nevada now, didn't you?

I do, however agree with you. The state I live in now (WA), has about 5 choices to choose from, and it will almost certainly be either Mt. Rainier and the Space Needle in Seattle or the Stylized Orca design. -At least it better not be an apple in the state outline:yuk: - but these are things that people think of about WA . I personally like the Orca one, but it only symbolizes the coastal indian tribes, and nothing about the rest of the state, and the whole east side, especially here in Spokane, will be ticked off if Seattle's Space Needle get's the vote - but you can't please everyone, so a whole lotta' people should be prepared to be disappointed.

If I had my say, this being Washington, I'd have a two headed coin - Washington on both sides!

Archived