CoinPeople.com

10 Francs (147d)

captaincoffee

Looking for someone with knowledge of French banknotes to help me with a question. I know that many of the French notes have a slight ripple in the paper, but the issues I have of this note also all have a pinhole or two in the watermark field (as shown in picture).

10francsarrows.JPG

Recently, I saw someone selling some of these bills on eBay and those notes also had the pinholes in the same area. I have 5 sequentially numbered bills like this, so I now believe they must have been issued this way. Can anyone confirm if all these notes are like this or just some and what caused it? Thanks.

Dave

some notes managed to get away without the holes. personally, i find them annoying and try to avoid them whenever i can. the cgb.fr website usually has a huge selection of french notes, but they seem to have replaced their entire online e-shop's french page with nothing but wwI chamber of commerce notes. after a little more looking, i found the rest of their french notes on their auction page:

http://www.cgb.fr/billets/p07/gb/paysgbe780.html

another 10 franc voltaire note that may interest you is here:

http://www.cgb.fr/billets/p07/gb/billetsgbaa5a.html

non épinglé = no pinholes

They were often stapled together, much like Indian banknotes were, before being distributed to banks for circulation.

Both countries have since stopped this practice.

Interesting. I was always wondering why most of the Indian notes I see (50R and 100R) are filled with holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info...I thought it must be something like that. I just got back from Cambodia and bought a bunch of banknotes there. One of the old 500 Riel bills looks like like it could be in a series with this note because of the same small yellow boxed fields in the corners that repeat the serial number and denomination. I'll have to check to see if they were printed at the same place in France. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
They were often stapled together, much like Indian banknotes were, before being distributed to banks for circulation.

Both countries have since stopped this practice.

Hi, from what I understood, both Pakistan and India are still having this age old practise of stapling the new notes together. I believe partly is also for security reason. There are notes without holes sometimes left specially for collectors.

The practise of stapling or pinning the note onto document in bank, commerical offices exists in the early days. In Singapore ( former British Crown Colony), large (sized) denomination notes were pinned or stapled onto documents waiting to be processed by office staff. These were common for old large notes to have pinholes or staples holes. I am not sure about your countries' practises of handling banknotes in the early days. Maybe everyone here like to share your views on this interesting topic.

Hi, from what I understood, both Pakistan and India are still having this age old  practise of stapling the new notes together. I believe partly is also for security reason. There are notes without holes sometimes left specially for collectors.

India only in the last couple of years did away with this practice and now actually prohibits it. I have a set of current Indian notes without the ubiquitous staple holes to prove it is not just a rumour. :ninja:

Archived