CoinPeople.com

Got two roosies today NEW PICTURES

Received two clad Roosies today and when checking them to see if they would be suitable upgrades to the ones in my type set, I noticed some strange things.

First, there's one with quite some doubling:

large image, 126KB

it's a 1982 "P"

The doubling can be found in the words"UNITED STATES OF" at the upper side of the characters, and in "ONE" at the lower left edge of the characters.

It doesn't show too well when using a scanner, I'll try a digicam at work tomorrow to get better pics.

[edit]New picture, made with digital camera[/edit]

Second: what's wrong with this one? I'm obviously not referring to the scratches. (contest, no prize :ninja:)

also large image, 98KB

it's a 1968 "D"

[edit]New picture, made with digital camera[/edit]

Firstly i could have sworn the P was a D but that was from my eyesight, i don't have a loupe. It could well be a D over a D, with the bottom of the first D looking like a short tail of a P. At least that's what i thought it might have been. Or maybe the die was wearing around the mintmark hence why it's not as sharp as it might be.

Secondly that missing U i just put it down to a weak strike.

I never noticed the doubling on the legends but then again i never look for it, and when it's pointed out to me i'm usually itching to ditch the coins asap as substandard.

Looks like i'm well shut of those two misfits! :ninja: (But you got them free so you can't complain... just don't send them back!)

thanks for pointing out my typo :ninja:

It's a 1968 D alright.

Can a weak strike cause one character to be almost missing and the rest to be normally there?

I'm not looking for "error/flawed/whatever you want to name it" coins either, but I just noticed this when looking at them through my x10 magnifier.

for circ coins I wouldn't call them sub-standard but if I would order proofs from a mint and it would look like that, I'd be disappointed. I expect proofs to be perfect, flawless

Can a weak strike cause one character to be almost missing and the rest to be normally there?

I've been thinking about that, it depends how they punch the letters in, maybe the U wasn't set as deep on the die as the other letters, that with a weak strike makes it less noticable.

But that's mere conjecture on my part because i have no idea how they prepare dies, never been something i took much interest in.

Filled die. Filled dies happen when some of the grease that s used to lubricate the dies falls onto the die and fills in a section of the die. I wouldn't call it a weak strike when only one minor section is affected and not a large area. I have a weak strike and a large portion of the details are missing from both sides ofthe coin. But that is what I see. A filled die.

Filled die. Filled dies happen when some of the grease that s used to lubricate the dies falls onto the die and fills in a section of the die. I wouldn't call it a weak strike when only one minor section is affected and not a large area. I have a weak strike and a large portion of the details are missing from both sides ofthe coin. But that is what I see. A filled die.

Either way it's still a dud.

I could send you another one Trantor if you'd like. I had a whole bagful somewhere, but the grades vary quite a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...