CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Belize - 1974 Silver Proof Set

Very Nice! My most favorite place in the world. One of my goals in life is to either A. Visit Belize, or B. Move to Belize :ninja:

That's a good looking set. I like the themes of their coins as well.

That's a good looking set. I like the themes of their coins as well.

Unfortunately, you won't ever find coins like that in your change in Belize City (or any other part of Belize, for that matter) These sets were issued by the Franklin Mint, with the consent of the government, but were never intended for use in commerce. The actual circulation coinage all have QEII on the obverse, and the denomination on the reverse, very plain looking coins.

Unfortunately, you won't ever find coins like that in your change in Belize City (or any other part of Belize, for that matter)  These sets were issued by the Franklin Mint, with the consent of the government, but were never intended for use in commerce.  The actual circulation coinage all have QEII on the obverse, and the denomination on the reverse, very plain looking coins.

While there is little doubt that this silver set (like all modern silver sets that i'm aware of) was never meant to circulate, it none the less remains legal tender. Belize is hardly in the same league as The Marshall Islands for issuance of nclt. Indeed, its much better than places like Austria, France, and the USA for this. Lest we forget, how many silver year sets has the US issued in the past twenty years or so? Meant for circulation? Likelyhood of getting these silver coins in loose change?.........