50 Kopeks 1886-1894

Tane

908553.jpg

Composition: Silver 900/000

Weight: 10g

Diameter: mm

Mintmasters:

АГ = Apolon Grasgov (1883-1899)

This type of 50 kopek-coins was minted in St.Petersburg from 1886 to 1894. These are the first coins to carry the Emperor's portrait since 1796, when Pavel became the tsar and the manner was abolished. These coins are usually found in very low grade, cleaned and otherwise damaged. Be prepared to pay a lot for decent examples! 1894 is the most common date of this series, but it is still rather difficult to locate.

• 10 months later...

Yes, its pretty hard to find it in XF or higher. But still, even in Estonia some of these come out for sale.

But 25 kopeek Alexander III is much harder to find! Does anyone have this coin in omnicoin? I almoust had one couple of months ago. i add pics too. Unfortunatly the price went too high and i was in finland when the auction ended. the final price was 150 euros about. I will get this coin in year 2007 if i will find xf!

Tane, i know that you don`t like cleaned coins. Do you accept these coins what are cleaned in some kind of gas chamber? It will clean the coin from dirt and fat from fingers but not takes off patina. It`s very expensive machine and cleans nicely. Silver will go dark if it is dirty and then its good to put it in the gas chamber and then to the holder, so coin will stay clean.

Best, Rain

25kop1.jpg

25kop2.jpg

Tane, i know that you don`t like cleaned coins. Do you accept these coins what are cleaned in some kind of gas chamber? It will clean the coin from dirt and fat from fingers but not takes off patina. It`s very expensive machine and cleans nicely. Silver will go dark if it is dirty and then its good to put it in the gas chamber and then to the holder, so coin will stay clean.

Best, Rain

Hi, can you please provide a reference to one of those gas chambers on the web? I have never heard of anything of the sort...

• 2 years later...

Archived