CoinPeople.com

ANS Hudson-Fulton Medal

bill

A new purchase for my aluminum collection. This 76 mm, 1909 medal was struck by the American Numismatic Society as the official medal for the Hudson-Fulton celebration. It was designed by E. Fuchs in a low-relief style typical of the period. The obverse commemorates the centenary of steamboat navigation on the Hudson (that's Robert Fulton in the cartouche above the seated ladies). The reverse commemorates the 300th anniversay of the discovery of the Hudson by Hendrik Hudson (that's him on deck, center). The medal was struck in gold, silver, silver-plated, bronze, and aluminum. Thomas Elder struck a Hendrik Hudson Daalder and a Robert Fulton Dollar that are included in so-called dollar collections.

908864.jpg

An interesting medal. I note that you have two recent acquisitions in Aluminum. Do you collect specifically in that metal?

I collect aluminum as a way to cover the world, tokens, medals, and anything of interest when I don't have a lot to spend. Its rather haphazard meaning if I like it, its a candidate for the collection. Themes in clude early medals of the late 1800s, early 1900s. Interesting medals. Medals and tokens relating to numismatics. At least one coin from each country issuing aluminum coins. Representative tokens and notgeld from outside the US. At least one Good For from each state in the union, earlier rather than later whenever possible.

• 3 years later...

The larger silver medals generally bring a good price. I'm assuming you got a good deal? I think the low relief style of the period lends itself well to silver.

The larger silver medals generally bring a good price. I'm assuming you got a good deal? I think the low relief style of the period lends itself well to silver.

I think 8 euros plus postage was indeed `a good deal' :ninja: (ebay item 320383755300)

I think 8 euros plus postage was indeed `a good deal' ;) (ebay item 320383755300)

:ninja: I guess the Euro is worth a lot more than the last time I looked!

Archived