CoinPeople.com

New French Commem for Ben

Rabone

I read with interest in my latest edition of Coin World that France is looking at producing a commem next year to honor and celebrate the 300th anniversary of the birth of Benjamin Franklin. That coin will probably be my first modern French commem to be added to my collection.

When I told my wife about it, she gave me a puzzled look. I asked her what was wrong, and she said "Why is France having a coin for Benjamin Franklin." I just smiled at her.

Anyone here know the answer without looking it up?

Franklin spent a lot of time in France.  He was enlisting their help in fighting the English to gain independence.  Though I'm not sure specifically what the commem is for.

Both true! But there is one aspect of his life that is tied with France that he is being honored for.

You are so close you are about to burst into flame...

By some reports ol' Ben was also a British agent who provided cover for at least one double agent while serving as the US ambassador to France. If that's true, the commem wouldn't have anything to do with that.

The answer has been given.

What I was referencing to was that Benjamin Franklin was the first ambassador to France from the young American Republic.

That is the reason behind the commem from France on the celebration of his 300th birthday.

Some more info about the design competition is here:

http://boutique.monnaiedeparis.fr/presse/presse_c36.htm

Note the "Insister sur le côté francophile du personnage." hint ... :ninja:

Actually there have been several French coins with "US related" themes. For example, last year's Bartholdi/Statue of Liberty coins, the 2003 Louisiana Purchase (errm, Sale) pieces, and the 2002 coins commemorating Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Most of them are quite nicely designed but somewhat expensive.

Christian

• 5 months later...

It takes two to mend a rift. But I suppose the reason for issuing the pieces is not primarily a political one - Monnaie de Paris makes them because they will be appealing to collectors in both France and the US. And yes, Franklin sure deserves to be honored on a coin. The obverse I like, but the reverse design is a little too simple in my opinion.

And the prices - yikes. The 1/4 euro silver piece is €25, the 10 euro (1/4 oz) gold coin is €265, and the 20 euro (5 oz) silver coin is €269 (EU price which includes sales tax.) Quite a lot ...

Christian

Now the French are going overboard in their desire to mend the fence with the USA  :ninja:

But yes, it is an appropriate commem though.

Looks to me from the coin that Ben has told them to go fly a kite, especially with the prices they are looking to achieve from collectors. ;)

Ian

And voilà, here it is. Or rather, here they are:

10041236510000.jpg10041236510000.jpg

The coins (two silver pieces and one gold coin, all with the same design) are dated 2006 but will be available as from mid-December.

Christian

Oh my! Oh my indeed! And I was so looking forward to this coin too.

It looks like the artistry and beauty of the old world coins are gone for good.

I was so hoping for something more along the line of Ian's French Jeton.

Oh well.

As they say: c’est la vie

• 3 weeks later...
Oh my! Oh my indeed! And I was so looking forward to this coin too.

You may like the US coins to be issued on that occasion:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/commem...action=Franklin

I do like the "Continental Currency" design. The other side of that piece, and the second coin, are not so thrilling in my opinion. Mais quand même plus belles que la pièce française. :ninja:

(And about as expensive ...)

Christian

You may like the US coins to be issued on that occasion:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/commem...action=Franklin

I do like the "Continental Currency" design. The other side of that piece, and the second coin, are not so thrilling in my opinion. Mais quand même plus belles que la pièce française. :ninja:

(And about as expensive ...)

Christian

Someone in the USA mint doesn't particularly care for Ben Franklin.