CoinPeople.com

WWII USA War Bonds

Scottishmoney

scan0033.jpg

1943 Series

scan0034.jpg

Smaller format 1944 Series. I found these in the safety deposit box of a relative whose estate I was the executor of, I checked these out on the Treasury website, they would be worth over $100 each to the original owner, but as they are untransferable they have only a nominal collectible value now.

I have $75 worth of them, they would be worth a bit over $300 today, but the Treasury stopped paying interest on these back in the 1980's sometime. From time to time I actually see similar bonds on eBay, some redeemed, and others like these were not. Even an heir cannot cash these now. Maybe they will be rare someday who knows?

• 10 months later...

While the Treasury may have stopped paying interest on Series E bonds in the 1980s, they are still redeemable by heirs of the registered owner. The Bureau of the Public Debt has a process for redemption of bonds by heirs.

There is a small and growing number of collectors of US War Bonds. There were three different types of bonds 1) large size Defense Bonds, 2) large size War Bonds, and 3) small size War Bonds. Numbers 2 and 3 are pictured in the original post. Here is an example of Number 1

Defense25talon.jpg

Series E Bonds were issued in denominations of $25.00, $50.00, $100.00, $500.00, $1,000.00, $5,000.00 and $10,000.00. The higher denomionations are scarce.

In addition to Series E Bonds, Series F and Series G Bonds were also issued during WWII. These were also issued as Defense and War Bonds. They were issued in the same denominations as Series E except there was no $50.00 Series F or Series G. Series F have brown Treasury seals and serial numbers. These are blue on Series G. Series F and G had different interest rates and maturity periods than Series E. Series E could only be owned by individuals while Series F and G could be owned by corporations as well as individuals.

Archived