CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice ik. The finish on the large cent is commonly referred to as "porous". Somes from the copper being eaten by things in the soil. It's a great cent for anyone's collection. Glad you have fun and I'm looking forward to the other scans.

Didn't know there was an actual term for it. I suppose that's considered a defect, but I think it has eye appeal all day long, given that the 'damage' is even across pretty much the whole piece, so I don't think it detracts from it. I sure couldn't afford that kind of detail on any other large cent!

Didn't know there was an actual term for it. I suppose that's considered a defect, but I think it has eye appeal all day long, given that the 'damage' is even across pretty much the whole piece, so I don't think it detracts from it. I sure couldn't afford that kind of detail on any other large cent!

Large cents were the great utility coins of their day. They circulated until almost blank. They were used as shims and washers. For target practice and as fishing weights. Coins that have experienced life and survived are a great treasure to me. I'm glad you enjoy them too.

Large cents were the great utility coins of their day. They circulated until almost blank. They were used as shims and washers. For target practice and as fishing weights. Coins that have experienced life and survived are a great treasure to me. I'm glad you enjoy them too.

Oh, definitely. A circulated coin has lived. This cent must have been lost shortly after it was minted judging by the detail it still has; how soon it came to be buried, and in what, I haven't any idea. Was someone idly flipping it and missed catching it? I have to imagine it was looked for -- a penny bought stuff back then.

I really wonder what PCGS would call this. The final grade would probably be considerably lower, but it has to be VF to XF details.

I could see XF details on this one. I can also imagine someone burying it purposely as a means of safekeeping.

Huzzah! Not only has another NPQ fallen into my hands, but it's my local one, the Perry's Victory monument in Ohio. I've never actually been to it (it's on Put-in-Bay, which is just too doggone noisy for me), but it was clearly visible from my grandparents' place on the lake when the wind was right, so it's a monument associated with very fond memories. Buying back that house is on the top of my "when I hit the lottery" list.

Actually, it's second to "buy a really good bottle of bourbon and some ice" on that list. :)

2013P Perry's Victory (Ohio)

1021978.jpg

It'll be the other side of Sandusky from the Cleveland area, off Port Clinton. It's crazy in the summer, but if you can visit in the off-season, it's quite nice. Personally, I prefer Kelley's Island to Put-In-Bay, but I'm not much of a partier anymore. :)

Finally got the Airtites open on the last two 2012S Unc NPQs. I was starting to think they'd been chemically sealed!

2012S New Mexico Chaco Culture:

1022029.jpg

2012S Puerto Rico El Yunque:

1022030.jpg

Gonna finish up the ones from the Ohio State Coin Show this week.

More from the 'Ooo, shiny!' wing of my collection -- these were had at the show.

1864 Nova Scotia large cent:

1022031.jpg

1941C Newfoundland silver half dime:

1022032.jpg

1996W Roosevelt dime -- I've always wanted one of these. Now I have one. :)

1022033.jpg

Nice purchases Ik. The 1941 Newfoundland dime looks like the die had seen better days. That's a great find.

I am running a severe risk of getting interested in Canadian provincial/dominion issues. Just what I need, one more category to collect. XD

It's an easy jump to make. I love most of those coins myself. I have a few coppers from that category.

I really don't like the modern 'Miss Hathaway' Jeffs -- except as proofs. Then they look good. I do wish they'd also restored Schlag's original angled view of Monticello when they changed the portrait (and that delicious Deco lettering). Ah, well.

I really don't like the modern 'Miss Hathaway' Jeffs -- except as proofs. Then they look good. I do wish they'd also restored Schlag's original angled view of Monticello when they changed the portrait (and that delicious Deco lettering). Ah, well.

I'm totally in agreement with you. :bthumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

One more from the state show last month (although I have more than this one to image yet). I'm popping this up here because I discovered some interesting defects in the strike that I didn't see when I bought it. There are no less than five die cracks -- one on the obverse and four on the reverse -- a possible small cud on the reverse rim, and there's a strange sort of collar-like effect on the top of the reverse, like the die was just a bit off center.

1022457.jpg

The only ones that show up at this scale are the one that connects with the base of the '2' on the reverse, and with the bottom right of the 'N' in 'PENCE'.

Looking closer at the obverse, we see one connecting with the upper left of the "B" in 'BR'. I don't know why the scan makes the coin look dirty, it doesn't look this bad in hand.

ey1x.jpg

And on the reverse, there's a whole array of them:

sa89.jpg

I'm kind of surprised the reverse die got that damaged without anyone noticing and taking it out of service. I count 7 errors on this one coin - five die cracks, the weird collaring on the upper left edge of the reverse, and what looks like a cud at the base of the crack going into the 2 on the reverse, but I am quite prepared to stand corrected since I don't collect errors.

Very nice find. 1942 would have been deeply troubled war years. I'm not sure but that may have something to do with the die problems being ignored and the mint pressing on.

Yaknow, I genuinely hadn't thought that they might have had other things to think about in 1942...

I've also already started poking around eBay to see if I can find any in an earlier state of damage, with cracks. That would be hella cool, to find a whole run from zero cracks to this one. Obsession, thy name is coinage...

If I ever get to the correct box, I'll check mine for you. I have quite a few 3 pence from that timeframe.

• 6 months later...

Well, whaddya know? I have a couple updates! These are from eBay. I have taken crummy pictures of them, but at least they're pictures.

For the birth year set: 1963 Luxembourg 25 centimes

1024967.jpg

1964 10 Złotych, 600th anniversary of Jagiellonian University, incuse legend

1024968.jpg

This came in two styles, the other with the same legend in relief. And I keep wanting to say that the opposite of 'incuse' is 'excuse'. :D