CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

Well, I'm back. I still have a lot more photography to do, but I thought I might pop a few up.

Here's a couple from the Ohio State show that I hadn't got around to photographing yet: the 1887 Reich pfennig, and the 1952 South African farthing:

1015035.jpg

1015036.jpg

Here's a couple recent eBay pieces -- the Shell Famous Faces and Facts Einstein piece, and a piece "commemorating" the Apollo XIII mission - a gremlin dime.

1015037.jpg

1015038.jpg

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I may be starting a new collection for 'Fabulous Fakes' -- not deliberate counterfeits, but fantasy issues. Because I got this fantasy 1964D "Peace" Dollar on Monday:

1015305.jpg

This is, to the best of my knowledge, not the Daniel Carr issue, and the seller on eBay didn't list its provenance. It's certainly a weaker strike than the images I've seen of the Carr issues -- but it also sold a lot cheaper than his, so it fit more easily into my budget. The '6' is a little off, I think -- appears more consistent with the '6' on the 1964 Kennedy half than it does with the '6' on the 1926 Peace dollar. Still, a fun little addition to my collection.

Daniel Carr is the designer of the New York and Rhode Island SHQs; he bought a retired press from the Denver mint and seems to be enjoying himself creating coins that might have been and/or never were - the '64D Peace dollar as mentioned above, as well as the '64D Franklin half, or the '75 Ike, or various state quarter parodies and alternate designs. Personally, I love his bimetallic $2 Apollo astronaut design; that's a coin I wouldn't mind having in my pocket.

• 2 months later...

This is not a new purchase. This is as close as I have to the very first coin I ever bought; I paid I think $5 for it in 1976 or so and it was all covered with black gunk... so, yes, I did dip it in something to clean it. I have no recollection what anymore, it having been many, many years ago, and it doesn't appear to have unduly suffered. It's been kept in a holder ever since. Those of you who remember the old Scrooge McDuck comics from Disney might remember he had a Number One Dime; that's what this 1917 Mercury is to me, except of course that I bought it rather than received it while it was still circulating. :)

1017846.jpg

This is not a new purchase. This is as close as I have to the very first coin I ever bought; I paid I think $5 for it in 1976 or so and it was all covered with black gunk... so, yes, I did dip it in something to clean it. I have no recollection what anymore, it having been many, many years ago, and it doesn't appear to have unduly suffered. It's been kept in a holder ever since. Those of you who remember the old Scrooge McDuck comics from Disney might remember he had a Number One Dime; that's what this 1917 Mercury is to me, except of course that I bought it rather than received it while it was still circulating. :)

1017846.jpg

Great coin Ik. Are you going to enter it in PCI2013? Sometimes cleaning is the right thing to do. With black gunk all over it the best this little beauty could have hoped for was the melting post. So you saved its little life.

Great coin Ik. Are you going to enter it in PCI2013? Sometimes cleaning is the right thing to do. With black gunk all over it the best this little beauty could have hoped for was the melting post. So you saved its little life.

I agree. Give it a shot. I didn't think it was cleaned til I read your caption!

Yeah, Old Number One is destined for PCI '13. And some issues that I got just after PCI '11 at the Ohio State Coin Show. I may have a couple worth voting for this year! :D

This coin is the reason I don't consider cleaning to be an absolutely bad thing; it definitely improved it, and it's toned so nicely over the years. I about plotzed when I saw the detail hiding under the gunk; 49-year-old me also thanks 12-year-old me for having had the presence of mind to not try to physically scrub the stuff off it!

• 1 month later...

Went up to the ol' LCS today -- the thing I love about that place is they don't treat the small-time collector (read: me) as a second-class numismatic citizen. No one objects when I hunker down by the foreigns bin for half an hour or so--usually I get offered a chair, actually. Pickings were thin, but satisfying: a 1969 10-groszy piece in stunning shape that fills a hole in my Polish set, and a 1949 UK shilling w/English reverse for my predecimals. I also picked up a 2010 UK 1p with the modern shield reverse, and a 1955 copper South African 3d just because I like it... and because I fear I am slowly falling headlong into collecting predecimal Commonwealth/Empire pieces. Pictures when I get around to them.

Mainly I was there for nickels, and sealing a few holes in the 60s and 70s. Early issues are tough due to prices, but issues from the late 50s to the mid 60s are tough because strong strikes are hard to find, and even really nice MS pieces have a soft look to them. I'd been hoping to add nice business strikes of the 1965-7 issues, but ended up with only a 1965 because the others were unacceptably weak strikes (to my eye, anyway).

I almost put everything back and broke the bank on a gorgeous 1939D-T2 with remarkable toning... but it was financially just not an option. That will be worth a little set-aside every week and I hope to add it by the end of this month.

I did walk away with a primo 1940D, though. The rest were early 60s and 70s, and of course I picked up the 2013PD issues. Proofs aren't out yet, so the 13S will have to wait. The set is approaching 40% complete. Pictures when I get around to them -- I stopped at a nearby dollar store and bought a picture frame just for the glass, so I can have another whack at axial lighting.

And then I will use the frame for my certificate from Coursera for completing their class on astrobiology. :)

Silly me, I forgot the other thing I got -- but quite by accident. One of the bills I got in change was a 1963B Granahan/Barr dollar. Well circulated, but solid. And now, retired. You don't often see paper money that old -- 45 years.

• 2 months later...

Went on a selling trip for the first time -- I moved last weekend, and was left with not enough money in my account to cover a bill that I *know* is coming later this week. So I sold my silver proof sets. I've lost interest in them anyway, and with the prices on the 1999 and 2012 sets, it's a set I'm unlikely to complete any time soon. Dumped some old Franklins, too. So I made enough cash to carry me through to my next paycheck, yay.

I immediately bought a 1963 Canadian PL dollar for my birthyear set so I've completed another country now. :)

Pulled four coins out of the foreigns bin: a 1941 farthing that still has lots of lustre, a 1977 USSR 15 kopek piece, a 1955 Cypriot threepence, and a UK 1953 sixpence -- I am so glad I carry my catalog as a PDF on my ebook reader!

No pictures for a while. I lost my backpack with my good camera in it -- it's either at work, or I left it on the bus and will never see it again -- and my other camera is somewhere in all the wreckage of packed boxes.

Went on a selling trip for the first time -- I moved last weekend, and was left with not enough money in my account to cover a bill that I *know* is coming later this week. So I sold my silver proof sets. I've lost interest in them anyway, and with the prices on the 1999 and 2012 sets, it's a set I'm unlikely to complete any time soon. Dumped some old Franklins, too. So I made enough cash to carry me through to my next paycheck, yay.

I immediately bought a 1963 Canadian PL dollar for my birthyear set so I've completed another country now. :)

Pulled four coins out of the foreigns bin: a 1941 farthing that still has lots of lustre, a 1977 USSR 15 kopek piece, a 1955 Cypriot threepence, and a UK 1953 sixpence -- I am so glad I carry my catalog as a PDF on my ebook reader!

No pictures for a while. I lost my backpack with my good camera in it -- it's either at work, or I left it on the bus and will never see it again -- and my other camera is somewhere in all the wreckage of packed boxes.

Congratulations on the move and the successful selling adventure. You probably did ok on silver proof sets - depending on how you purchased them. From the mint you probably made a bit. I'd guess you can pick them up again without much financial penalty in the near future.

Sorry to hear about your possible camera loss - that rots.

• 1 month later...

Camera's still lost and unreplaced, so no pictures (mainly because the camera in my phone is rubbish), but I only last week discovered that San Francisco banged out some uncirculated quarters last year for the first time in I don't know how long. Since they're not going into circulation, I resorted to eBay and copped the set of five for six bucks including shipping.

Shows how much attention I'm paying to current American issues, that I didn't know about last year's coins until this year! Any reason for the one-off uncirculateds?

Camera's still lost and unreplaced, so no pictures (mainly because the camera in my phone is rubbish), but I only last week discovered that San Francisco banged out some uncirculated quarters last year for the first time in I don't know how long. Since they're not going into circulation, I resorted to eBay and copped the set of five for six bucks including shipping.

Shows how much attention I'm paying to current American issues, that I didn't know about last year's coins until this year! Any reason for the one-off uncirculateds?

Hadn't been following this either. First I've heard about them.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a cheap stop-gap Vivitar, but while the manual says it has a macro focusing *range*, it more accurately has a macro focusing *point* and it's too much of a pain in the glutes to want to have to carefully measure and all. So the heck with it, I'll just use my scanner as I have before, and save up for a real camera -- probably going to go with a Sony Alpha since I can use my Minolta lenses with it.

Anyway, the San Francisco quarters shipped in Airtites and I've only got two of them open; I don't want to use too much force because I don't want the coins flying across the room and landing on a hard surface or in an iced tea or beer or coffee or martini (depending on which I'm drinking -- I'm not a four-fisted drinker).

2012 HI Volcanoes

1021692.jpg

I just love the heck out of this design.

2012 ME Acadia

1021693.jpg

Nice quarters though. So these are S mint UNC quarters - sold in sets by the Mint. Interesting.

Yup. And I've yet to see any reason given for the one-year issuance. Weird. Still, it'd be fun to see S mintmarks back in circulation, wouldn't it? Heck, maybe West Point can get in on the act, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Haul

Just back from the Ohio State Coin Show, and the motto for this year was Spend, Spend, Spend! August was a five-paycheck month, and I'd taken care of all my bills with the first four, so I could go play.

Images forthcoming.

Jefferson Project

Unc Issues; 1974, 1981P

Proofs: 1972S, 74S, 75S, 79S T1, 80S, 2006S

Birth Year

Fiji 3d

Germany 2pf G

Hong Kong 50c H

Ireland 1/, 2/

Netherlands Antilles 1c

Poland 5gr

Switzerland 1/2f

(South) Viet Nam 50 xu

UK

1900 florin

1942 3d

Poland

1622 poltorak of Sigismund III

1963 5 groszy

1957 10 złoty 700th anniversary of Warsaw

In Soviet Russia, coin collects YOU!

1926 2 kopeks

1928 20 kopeks

1940 3 kopeks

1957 10 kopeks

I've decided that the category for my purchases that don't fit any other category is going to be called Ooo, Shiny!

1838 US large cent (marked 'been in ground', has excellent detail but a strange matte finish)

1864 Nova Scotia large cent (appears to have a die rotation of 10-15°)

1941 Newfoundland silver half dime

1996W US dime

Can't scan everything yet since I can't find my zarking staples so I couldn't promptly re-seal them But this was in a flip, so here's my new second-oldest coin, the above-referenced 1622 poltorak:

1021914.jpg